Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, super-son said:

I think the poor Stirling attendance could be put down to the amount of games in a small period of time as well. It can be a drain on finances and family life. 4 games in 11 days is a lot!

I reckon a lot would have maybe went to the home game and for financial or other reasons decided to skip the away day with the intention of going to Spartans away if we made it through.

It was also the same day as the OF game so we probably ‘lost’ out on a few travelling due to that being on 

Posted (edited)

A few potential new grounds to tick off next season with ICT, Cove and Kelty. I can't say any of them sound particularly great, though.

I wonder who the favourites will be. If the ICT financial problems are as bad as some rumours suggest, I suspect it will be Arbroath. Though, as I was saying to someone the other day, it's not always easy when you come down from the Championship. Even after years of good prize money etc. Just look at the start we made with a team (on paper) that should've been superb (Rory Loy, Jack Aitchison, Sam Allardice, Chris Hamilton, Michael Paton, Ross Forbes, Dom Thomas*, Callum Gallagher, Cammy Ballantyne and probably a few others I'm forgetting). As far as we're concerned, I'd bite your hand off for an 8th place finish.

*though he obviously played a huge part in our resurgence that season.

Our squad list from that 2018/19 season is absolutely wild. Clicky. Willie Dyer, Connor Brennan, Grant Adam, Ross Perry...  (sorry for the PTSD trigger). Then the ones I've mentioned above, some of whom have gone on to play at a really good level, despite looking average with us. Brad Spencer being in that category, too. Then a few totally random ones like Beanie, Andy Little, Henk van Shaik and Boris Melingui. Topped off with SEVEN different keepers.

Edited by FifeSons

25 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

A few potential new grounds to tick off next season with ICT, Cove and Kelty. I can't say any of them sound particularly great, though.

Kelty's ground is compact but kinda nice I thought

2 hours ago, PWL said:

Don't make me feel older than I already do. 😭

Tell me about it. I could swear I remember Dumbarton being in the Premier league for a bit?

Posted (edited)

I really hope there isn't too much arrogance from Faz during this. He has had a go once or twice before and it really isn't a good look. What's happened in the last week could be major steps towards mending that relationship between the bulk of our fans and him and the last thing we need is him giving it the big, "I told you so etc etc."

Potentially a decent thing to do though and if he stays away from the negative side of things and handles himself well (in fairness most of the time he does, but occasionally slips up) then hopefully we will be able to move forward and build on this promotion.

I do wonder if we'll have news on all the current squad by then too... 😬

Edited by squeezebox-son

10 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I wonder who the favourites will be. If the ICT financial problems are as bad as some rumours suggest, I suspect it will be Arbroath. Though, as I was saying to someone the other day, it's not always easy when you come down from the Championship. Even after years of good prize money etc. Just look at the start we made with a team (on paper) that should've been superb (Rory Loy, Jack Aitchison, Sam Allardice, Chris Hamilton, Michael Paton, Ross Forbes, Dom Thomas*, Callum Gallagher, Cammy Ballantyne and probably a few others I'm forgetting). As far as we're concerned, I'd bite your hand off for an 8th place finish.

Our squad list from that 2018/19 season is absolutely wild. Clicky. Willie Dyer, Connor Brennan, Grant Adam, Ross Perry...  (sorry for the PTSD trigger). Then the ones I've mentioned above, some of whom have gone on to play at a really good level, despite looking average with us. Brad Spencer being in that category, too. Then a few totally random ones like Beanie, Andy Little, Henk van Shaik and Boris Melingui. Topped off with SEVEN different keepers.

League 1's going to be very open next season, struggle to see who's favourites. Largely because Arbroath and Inverness are unpredictable and need fairly major rebuilds - could see them finishing top four or could see them finishing 9th or 10th. Wondering if Cove/Alloa/Montrose fancy their chances? Regardless, you'll have the majority of the division targeting the play-offs at least.

From a Dumbarton point of view 8th would be a very good return. I don't think that Annan, Kelty and Stenhousemuir are miles above our level and Arbroath and Inverness could finish just about anywhere so I think 8th is achievable with the right summer business.

10 hours ago, FifeSons said:

A few potential new grounds to tick off next season with ICT, Cove and Kelty. I can't say any of them sound

10 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Kelty's ground is compact but kinda nice I thought

My 2 boys are Falkirk fans and have been to Kelty. The pies are the best in L1, according to them.

28 minutes ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

League 1's going to be very open next season, struggle to see who's favourites. Largely because Arbroath and Inverness are unpredictable and need fairly major rebuilds - could see them finishing top four or could see them finishing 9th or 10th. Wondering if Cove/Alloa/Montrose fancy their chances? Regardless, you'll have the majority of the division targeting the play-offs at least.

From a Dumbarton point of view 8th would be a very good return. I don't think that Annan, Kelty and Stenhousemuir are miles above our level and Arbroath and Inverness could finish just about anywhere so I think 8th is achievable with the right summer business.

I don't think we can even start to speculate until we see the composition of playing squads and any managerial changes.  One thing I would say however is that during our years away from League Two I had rather mistakenly assumed that there was relatively little difference in quality between it and League One.

There is, and it will be tough.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

I don’t think we need too much to be honest definitely not what I would class as a major rebuild. I know we let like 14-16 boys or whatever go at the end of the season but we had a squad of about 27 to cope with all the injuries we picked up through the season. Think we’ve already got what should be a really decent team for L1 on paper. 12 signed now with 10 players kept on and Gallagher and Reilly added. Obviously need to beef up the squad though but all the rumours I’m hearing with us in regards to potential players coming in are very promising.

Inverness…. I’ve not got a fkn scooby. I would have to think they’ll just have to go all out and take a hit to try and get back at the first opportunity but it’s gonna be a hell of a job for whoever takes it.

I don’t see why the league could not be all over the place next year though. It’ll hopefully be a right good laugh.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

51 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is it just me or is a meet the manager session in the middle of June, when the fitba is long done, kinda odd timing for something like this? 

Yeah it is a bit, I assumed it would be more of reviewing the season past and looking forward to next year. Fair enough to Faz for doing it though and the previous ones when things would've been more challenging shall we say rather than just after being promoted. 

Wonder if we'll see one with the chairman at some point, I'd put that in the "doubtful" pile

15 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I think you mean Scott. I think the former England manager's playing days were behind him in 2018😉

Posted (edited)

FzU8bgnWIAUSgdN.jpg:large

I thought Ross Perry was a decent player for us, and it was a shame he was made out of glass.

He had absolutely zero technique or ability with the ball at his feet, and he should never have played at full-back, but he was as brave as anything, committed, a good tackler, dominant in the air and did all the defensive basics of heading and kicking as well as any other meat and potatoes League One defender. I liked how buzzing he was after scoring from about half-a-yard in our win down at Stair Park too. He looked as shocked as anyone :lol:

Edit: Willie Dyer, man. I had forgotten all about him. One of my least favourite Sons players of all time. And he injured Sam Wardrop for the Cup Final when he was at Brechin. The only positive contribution he made for us was in a Brechin top, when he scored a last second own goal to win us a game up at Glebe Park in the season they went winless. The way he used to turn his back when the ball was kicked anywhere near him drove me absolutely insane.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

4 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Down at the stadium today and the new Trust director is busy making moves and being proactive in the background. The lad's doing good work behind the scenes.

Glad to hear it. I’m looking forward to what will hopefully result in better communication about what’s going on at the club and plans for the future.

22 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

We have a shirt sponsor that doesn't appear to be a company linked to a dodgy owner/director.

we do indeed and it’s happened quite quickly after the end of the season which makes me wonder if they had that sitting waiting for a fresh season to start or if it’s came about because of the promotion.

Either way, it should be a good boost to the coffers for next season considering we’ve not had any strip sponsorship money for a good while now.