Sons' sorrow

Lynas is an ok backup option at right back and wont be commanding a big wage but I think I’d rather have a proper centre back option in reserve. Our season seriously unravelled when we lost Durnan to injury last season and with his injury record that may well happen again. Maybe we’ll bring another defender in but who knows. The weird signing for me has been Cammy Clarke, we arleady had two guys who are excellent at left back and I’m not sure we needed any more cover there. 

The signings so far have been good but I don’t want us to make the same mistakes as last season by leaving ourselves without proper cover in a key position.

Thats a squad of 18 we have now.Are we looking at  another 4 to come in?What do we need?Im guessing another central defender , holding midfielder  and a couple of strikers.Cant see us having any more than 22.

I don’t get to many games as I would like but anytime I have seen Lynas hes 100 committed for team. 
his leap for headers is under rated. Shows up some centre backs at times on that who we have had in past. 
agreed he’s probably squad player but certainly one thats good to have as cover. 

11 minutes ago, Sonoftherock86 said:

I don’t get to many games as I would like but anytime I have seen Lynas hes 100 committed for team. 
his leap for headers is under rated. Shows up some centre backs at times on that who we have had in past. 
agreed he’s probably squad player but certainly one thats good to have as cover. 

Nobody has ever questioned his commitment to the team. But effort isn't enough to merit a contract and nobody should have been signed on sentiment either... 

I've never noticed him being particularly good in the air, either. But as cover, he should be fine.

24 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Thats a squad of 18 we have now.Are we looking at  another 4 to come in?What do we need?Im guessing another central defender , holding midfielder  and a couple of strikers.Cant see us having any more than 22.

With Shiels, Clark, Miller and Lynas all capable of playing at CB I reckon we're finished there. An attacking type centre mid and striker or two and I reckon that'll be us.

3 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Nobody has ever questioned his commitment to the team. But effort isn't enough to merit a contract and nobody should have been signed on sentiment either... 

I've never noticed him being particularly good in the air, either. But as cover, he should be fine.

To be fair, I do think he's as good attacking a high ball as anyone in our squad. Maybe a wee bit too aggressive at leaping into the air and going for it sometimes, but he's very good in the air for someone who is probably about 5'8 or 5'9. In the playoff final he dominated Blair Henderson aerially who is considerably taller. And, in all the games he played for us at CB, I didn't ever worry about him being dominated in the air. It was just after a few games he started to look like a full-back at centre-half.

21 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

With Shiels, Clark, Miller and Lynas all capable of playing at CB I reckon we're finished there. An attacking type centre mid and striker or two and I reckon that'll be us.

To be fair, I do think he's as good attacking a high ball as anyone in our squad. Maybe a wee bit too aggressive at leaping into the air and going for it sometimes, but he's very good in the air for someone who is probably about 5'8 or 5'9. In the playoff final he dominated Blair Henderson aerially who is considerably taller. And, in all the games he played for us at CB, I didn't ever worry about him being dominated in the air. It was just after a few games he started to look like a full-back at centre-half.

I actually think we need another defensive mid over an attacking one now McGuffie has joined. Miller is looking the starter there but we only have Ryan Blair as back up. A centre mid and a striker looks like all that's left to come in to me. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I actually think we need another defensive mid over an attacking one now McGuffie has joined. Miller is looking the starter there but we only have Ryan Blair as back up. A centre mid and a striker looks like all that's left to come in to me. 

Hope we can get 2 strikers in.I suppose if we stick with a 4-5-1  type set up then maybe 1 more striker is all we need.

How would you line us up now with the squad we have?

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

We need a footballer who can read the game and pass the ball in the middle of the park, someone in the mould of Chris Turner.  We've enough high energy worker ants in there.

And before anyone suggests Div Wilson, just don't.

8 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Hope we can get 2 strikers in.I suppose if we stick with a 4-5-1  type set up then maybe 1 more striker is all we need.

How would you line us up now with the squad we have?

I really can't see 2 strikers coming in, we only play with 1 and Ruth is basically Erling Haaland to us in that he starts every game even if he's not always 100%.

Long

Pignatiello - Durnan - Crighton - Young

Miller - Gray 

Orsi - McGuffie - Shiels

Ruth

Hilton could start where McGuffie is there but I think that's the best 11 at the moment. Like OKI above I think we need a Chris Turner type in midfield and a striker who can chip in when Ruth isn't fit and we'll go with that. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I really can't see 2 strikers coming in, we only play with 1 and Ruth is basically Erling Haaland to us in that he starts every game even if he's not always 100%.

Long

Pignatiello - Durnan - Crighton - Young

Miller - Gray 

Orsi - McGuffie - Shiels

Ruth

Hilton could start where McGuffie is there but I think that's the best 11 at the moment. Like OKI above I think we need a Chris Turner type in midfield and a striker who can chip in when Ruth isn't fit and we'll go with that. 

Looks an interesting line up.Im guessing the CT type midfielder would take Miller's place?Not sure who might fit that bill.There was some young guy from Killie talked about onnhere a few weeks back.Not sure if that was his position though.

I see that Iain Vigurs has been given a free.Is he someone who could be a good back up or are his best days behind him.Maybe Jan can give us some info onhim.

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

Looks an interesting line up.Im guessing the CT type midfielder would take Miller's place?Not sure who might fit that bill.There was some young guy from Killie talked about onnhere a few weeks back.Not sure if that was his position though.

I see that Iain Vigurs has been given a free.Is he someone who could be a good back up or are his best days behind him.Maybe Jan can give us some info onhim.

Vigurs is based up north, 36 and played twice last season. So I reckon he'll either be calling it a day or joining his ex-teammate Ross Draper at Elgin.

5 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I'd prefer someone in the mould of Newbury rather than Vigurs.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Vigurs is based up north, 36 and played twice last season. So I reckon he'll either be calling it a day or joining his ex-teammate Ross Draper at Elgin.

Ooft didnt realsie he was 36...a NO to him then.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I'd prefer someone in the mould of Newbury rather than Vigurs.

Maybe the door is not 100% shut on him.Maybe after the LC games he might be loaned out again unless hes firmly in Rankin's plans.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We need a footballer who can read the game and pass the ball in the middle of the park, someone in the mould of Chris Turner.  We've enough high energy worker ants in there.

And before anyone suggests Div Wilson, just don't.

Was just coming on to say that. When was the last creative midfielder we had?

Well, it won't be Jack Leitch.  My prediction on that one has come back to bite me.  He's gone to East Kilbride. Worse still, the only centre half we had left has gone there too. I don't suppose you have about 11 players up for loan do you?

12 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Well, it won't be Jack Leitch.  My prediction on that one has come back to bite me.  He's gone to East Kilbride. Worse still, the only centre half we had left has gone there too. I don't suppose you have about 11 players up for loan do you?

You can have David Wilson back if you want.

13 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Was hardly a prediction. You made yourself ITK and now have exposed yourself as a charlatan.

Dumbarton have done some decent business so far and are riding on the crest of a wave still after that late promotion but when you break it down it is still a large collection of players who finished a mile off their actual goal of winning the league in what was a poor division.

But if there is one man who can stand up to the challenge it's Uncle Faz.