Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Was hardly a prediction. You made yourself ITK and now have exposed yourself as a charlatan.

Dumbarton have done some decent business so far and are riding on the crest of a wave still after that late promotion but when you break it down it is still a large collection of players who finished a mile off their actual goal of winning the league in what was a poor division.

But if there is one man who can stand up to the challenge it's Uncle Faz. 

You are correct. However Brett Long and Greig Young were both missing for the majority of last season and we didn't really have the players to plug the gaps. We've now got better cover defensively and we'll be unlucky if both players (or indeed any players) suffer injuries as serious as last season. I would also argue that any time Mark Durnan was in the team we performed as a title contending side. I do worry he gets injured again this season as it seems to be a recurring problem but we are definitely in better shape to cover it this year. Adding Shiels to the squad and being able to play him further forward rather than at left back or centre back like last season is also huge. Losing him in January last year gave us another headache too, it really wasn't a settled season and we still got promoted.

That side comfortably dispatched the team who finished 9th in the play offs and put the team who finished 8th out the Scottish Cup. I'm under no illusions that we're in for a tough relegation battle this season but I do think we have a squad capable of it. 

I’d agree on the Durnan and Long angle. We’re a completely different team with Durnan in the side, as shown by the fact we lost once (that dead rubber at Peterhead where he went off at HT and Paddy started doesn’t count) when he returned. And that was in injury time in the first game he played in five months.

It feels like we have a properly good team spirit for the first time in a very long time too. That can go a long way too.

i don’t think anyone is fancying us for a promotion battle. But a tremendous run of form for the final two months, keeping our best players and adding some quality definitely has me more positive than I have been for a long time. Annan finished 20 points behind the Binos two seasons back. So I won’t be reading anything into last season.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

You are correct. However Brett Long and Greig Young were both missing for the majority of last season and we didn't really have the players to plug the gaps. We've now got better cover defensively and we'll be unlucky if both players (or indeed any players) suffer injuries as serious as last season. I would also argue that any time Mark Durnan was in the team we performed as a title contending side. I do worry he gets injured again this season as it seems to be a recurring problem but we are definitely in better shape to cover it this year. Adding Shiels to the squad and being able to play him further forward rather than at left back or centre back like last season is also huge. Losing him in January last year gave us another headache too, it really wasn't a settled season and we still got promoted.

That side comfortably dispatched the team who finished 9th in the play offs and put the team who finished 8th out the Scottish Cup. I'm under no illusions that we're in for a tough relegation battle this season but I do think we have a squad capable of it. 

Yeah I get being cagey regards Dumbarton and usually im one of the cagiest but really I dont think we should be fearing teams in this league nearly all of whom are Part-time.I think it will be really close with no obvious winners or relegation candidates.

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

Was hardly a prediction. You made yourself ITK and now have exposed yourself as a charlatan.

Dumbarton have done some decent business so far and are riding on the crest of a wave still after that late promotion but when you break it down it is still a large collection of players who finished a mile off their actual goal of winning the league in what was a poor division.

But if there is one man who can stand up to the challenge it's Uncle Faz. 

Hmmm...has anyone checked if Stenny broke the record last season for the longest run without a win by any Championship-winning team in Scottish football ?

You were like a golfer who had holes-in-one at the 7th and 8th and then bogeyed every subsequent hole.

7 hours ago, Neilly said:

Oh dear have I Stenny troll in chief?  I may cry, I really may.

So far it’s been a great month or so. Promotion earned and signing up some of the key players I’m sure we had all resigned to losing. Faz got his business done early last season and ultimately it paid off. Hopefully it’s the same again this season.

we will be favourites for the drop for sure, and 8th place would be a good result. Who knows tho, Inverness look like they could end up in a bit of financial bother, who knows what they are going to look like come the start of the season. I’m not sure, but I doubt anyone else in the division has as settled or as finished a squad as us so far. 

32 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Newbury, you'd obviously want back if Rankin somehow changes his mind, but I'd like Lennon back, too. Guess it's unlikely now we have cover for Young.

I’d take back Lennon for CB. Unsure on Crighton for next season. 

8 hours ago, Elrow said:

I’d take back Lennon for CB. Unsure on Crighton for next season. 

I'd agree with that, Lennon and Durnan would be a decent partnership.  I have a slight concern though on how MD will fare injury-wise with the amount of artificial surfaces in League One.

4 hours ago, the snudge said:

Something really pisses me off about the club letting Broomhill use our stadium for photoshoots of the new signings. It's petty but very fucking irritating 

I do agree with this (and agree with points others have had made about their general ‘invasion’ of the local area) - it is good to see them signing up some young local talent. 

If we’re clever about it, we should be keeping a close eye on the development of the young lads Broomhill have signed from St Pats. Local amateur football to league one football is a massive jump, but if Broomhill can provide a stepping stone in between for local lads to one day end up at the Sons, I think that could be the silver lining that comes from the Broomhill farce.

7 hours ago, the snudge said:

Something really pisses me off about the club letting Broomhill use our stadium for photoshoots of the new signings. It's petty but very fucking irritating 

I agree and have aired my views on this. I have no doubt they are not going to ‘entice’ our fans away. Letting them play in our stadium is one thing. But they are trying to take the same fans that we are trying to get to our games, to increase our gates, and pay for improvements to our squad! 
making a local, well known ex pro the manager and signing boys from local amateur team is just continuing to attempt to tap into the local community, and if they gain 10 fans from it, it’s 10 more that would’ve potentially come watch us! They are a pointless club, with no home and no fans, they sold themselves out to a freakshow and it bombed. They won’t go anywhere, unless downwards (hopefully)

incidentally, the 2 boys they signed from St Pats will struggle I think at that level, the CB Michael Aitken is a very good footballer, but an experienced big striker will make his life very difficult. The Striker Lewis Lobban has scored lots of goals for st pats, but there’s numerous better strikers at amateur level. 

I don't think we need worry too much about the plastic team tenants. They'll have signed some St Pat's lads because Diamond was managing St Pat's before Broomhill. No big deal. They'll probably be lucky to survive as a club long enough to fulfil their lease with us, or will be off gallivanting again soon enough. Mildly irksome, yes, and not great for maintaining the pitch, but they're not worth getting riled up about.