Sons' sorrow

I think it'd be a no-brainer to sign Phinn if his fitness wasn't a concern. He obviously has the talent to play at this level, but signing him for the season is a risk. I'd like to see him on a pay-as-you-play deal or something.

I'd be very happy if we were to sign Derek Riordan tbh. Whether there's a chance of it, or whether we're even interested is another matter, but there's little doubt that if Murray could get anywhere near what he's capable of, out of Riordan, he'd be massive for us.

He's still got the ability, it's whether his baggage is worth it or if a manager can get him to display that ability that's the issue.

It's pleasing to hear that Ross Smith did well tonight. He sounds like he could be a good partner for Andy Graham.

Could Garry o'conner not serve his community service through here? My grass needs cut

Cracking idea. Rehabilitate Premier League quality players who've fallen on the scrap heap, help the Sons fortunes on the pitch and beautify the town all at the same time.

Riordan looked very sluggish playing wide left. Ross Smith and Phinn played very well. Decent game.

In fairness he was probably struggling with a come down. I can't even get out of bed when I'm like that, nevermind playing football.

Riordan's worth a punt. Last time we were in the First Division we brought Chic Charnley to Boghead after Thistle let him go. That gave him a second lease of life and within a year he moved to Dundee and then Hibs and had a great season in the Premier.

Aye, but is a player like Riordan what the Sons need?

This is my worry. Riordan's career has been going nowhere for a while now and you'd think if he was going to sort himself out he'd have done it by now. He also won't be cheap, despite the fact that it seems no one else wants him, I can't see him signing up to play for us for a pittance and then giving us everything he's got on the pitch. I think he could be more hassle than he's worth.

I think we would be best to play him against Queens,then maybe against Falkirk then,If he plays well offer him a deal until January. He obviously has a great deal of talent its just case of getting him to use it correctly.

This is my worry. Riordan's career has been going nowhere for a while now and you'd think if he was going to sort himself out he'd have done it by now. He also won't be cheap, despite the fact that it seems no one else wants him, I can't see him signing up to play for us for a pittance and then giving us everything he's got on the pitch. I think he could be more hassle than he's worth.

It could go either way and I'm not 100% about as well (not that it's definitely going to happen, he might have just been playing for fitness). There’s no doubt a player of his ability playing anywhere close to his best would be one of the best players in this league. The main question being, will he give a f**k? If yes and he’s prepared to work hard on the pitch then he’d be worth a punt.

The other issue is obviously the type of player he is, and whether he’d really fit into our team. As If he’s playing on the wing I don’t see him tracking back too much, which could cause an issue.

As for his off the field priors, that I’m not really interested in tbh. If he joins us, he starts with a clean slate as far as I’m concerned. Alan Lithgow anyone? If he fucks up then make sure there’s some sort of automatic release clause in his contract to cover us.

As for Phinn, if he stays fit for the rest of the month I’d sign him. We’re unlikely to get anyone better for the position. Injuries are obviously a concern but as stated above a ‘Pay-As-Play’ deal could sort that out to an extent.

Edited by untitled00

It could go either way and I'm not 100% about as well (not that it's definitely going to happen, he might have just been playing for fitness). There’s no doubt a player of his ability playing anywhere close to his best would be one of the best players in this league. The main question being, will he give a f**k? If yes and he’s prepared to work hard on the pitch then he’d be worth a punt.

The other issue is obviously the type of player he is, and whether he’d really fit into our team. As If he’s playing on the wing I don’t see him tracking back too much, which could cause an issue.

As for his off the field priors, that I’m not really interested in tbh. If he joins us, he starts with a clean slate as far as I’m concerned. Alan Lithgow anyone? If he fucks up then make sure there’s some sort of automatic release clause in his contract to cover us.

As for Phinn, if he stays fit for the rest of the month I’d sign him. We’re unlikely to get anyone better for the position. Injuries are obviously a concern but as stated above a ‘Pay-As-Play’ deal could sort that out to an extent.

Has Alan Lithgow got some kind of unsavoury past?

Not that I'm aware of, he started with a clean slate ;)

In all seriousness I'm much more comfortable at the thought of signing Riordan than I was when we signed Lithgow.

All joking aside, Riordan's past misdemeanours are very much in the "wee ned wh thinks he's a big shot" camp. He hasn't done anything that outlandish, certainly not when compared to Lithgow and his hard-on for the women of Airdrie.

Whether we stand a chance of signing Riordan is a mystery to me. The fact that he's trained with us this summer and appeared as a sub in one closed door friendly could mean he's just getting his fitness up, added to the fact that Murray apparently asked him to help us out last season and he declined to makes me think that he's not really "on trial" with us per se, more that we're giving him training facilities because Murray knows him, which isn't uncommon. I think if we had a realistic chance of getting him he'd have been more heavily involved before now, rather than just training with us some times and then making a brief substitute appearance in our 3rd pre-season fixture.

I think if we were to sign him it should be viewed as us doing him the favour. 4 months with us was all a fat Steven Dobbie needed to get his career back on track.

True, Dobbie seemed like quite a sensible guy though, I think it's safe to say Riordan isn't. If he was on a low wage until January I'd be okay with us signing him.