Sons' sorrow

Whigham did play against Celtic. I was wondering who Livingstone was, I'd forgotten about Bruce. Only game I can remember him playing was up at Aberdeen when we lost 6 - 0

I wonder if he might have played against Montrose at Boghead in late 1970, possibly as "Newman/Junior/Trialist". I remember there being a team photo taken that day, which was published in "Scottish Football" (?). It was a colour picture too iirc. It sticks out in my mind because it was rare for Lawrie Williams to miss a game in those days.

In this theoretical scenario where season tickets seats are re-sold if a season ticket holder doesn't turn up to reserve a seat for a Cat A game, what would happen if a season ticket holder was away, on holiday for example, and so in the week leading up the game hadn't told the club whether he would or would not be attending on the Saturday, nor picked up a ticket, and so they re-sell his seat to another punter and then the season ticket holder turns up on the Saturday and finds someone sitting in his seat, both having paid for it?

This seems like it has far too many pitfalls for me, especially since it's only for relatively few games. I'd say that if a season ticket has been sold then that's that, no need to be re-selling seats and making season ticket holders pick up match tickets in advance, that's just daft and a hassle that no-one needs. It also defeats the point of even buying a season ticket.

Agree totally with your second para Pete, but you very much underestimate the Chairman's determination to chisel a penny out of every situation.

There is however no doubt that police pawprints are over some of this, they apparently insisted on segregation of supporters in hospitality and the closing of the Castle Road is also their insistence. To be fair, for the Rangers games they probably need to do that to stop maniacs without tickets crawing all over the place.

I wonder if he might have played against Montrose at Boghead in late 1970, possibly as "Newman/Junior/Trialist". I remember there being a team photo taken that day, which was published in "Scottish Football" (?). It was a colour picture too iirc. It sticks out in my mind because it was rare for Lawrie Williams to miss a game in those days.

Possible. I've got a few cuttings from Scottish Football but none that far back. That would have been when it was still newspaper sized i think ?

This is reminding me of those 2 characters in the Fast Show who used to sit in the pub, discussing theoretical situations and getting steadily more seething until one shouted "OI, NO" and an imaginary person who hadn't yet done the thing that they were theoretically discussing.

This is reminding me of those 2 characters in the Fast Show who used to sit in the pub, discussing theoretical situations and getting steadily more seething until one shouted "OI, NO" and an imaginary person who hadn't yet done the thing that they were theoretically discussing.

Ha Ha! :lol: That was Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse...from The Harry Enfield Show, IIRC. I think the sketch was called The Self Righteous Brothers.

We do indeed appear to have a section of fans that want to seethe about everything..especially if they get a free pop at Alan Jardine or Gilbert Lawrie! And this at a time when we are flying high with the best team and manager in a generation. God help us when we (inevitably) return to our natural position in the scheme of things.

Ha Ha! :lol: That was Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse...from The Harry Enfield Show, IIRC. I think the sketch was called The Self Righteous Brothers.

We do indeed appear to have a section of fans that want to seethe about everything..especially if they get a free pop at Alan Jardine or Gilbert Lawrie! And this at a time when we are flying high with the best team and manager in a generation. God help us when we (inevitably) return to our natural position in the scheme of things.

To be fair, the pops at Alan or Gilbert are usually because of simple things that could be avoided if they would communicate with the fans a bit more. You cannot deny that their PR skills are horrendous and they've been the same no matter what league we are in. Just because we're doing well on the pitch doesn't mean we can't have complaints about what's happening off it.

To be honest Mike people are well within their rights to 'seethe' at these recent issues.

It may be easy enough for yourself to pick up a ticket but that wont be the case for everyone. Add to that the 'sold out' season ticket fiasco I can fully understand people's frustrations. I'd also say the board are rightly praised by most when they deserve it and they criticise them when they deserve it (not blaming the board for the current ticket issue).

Should we just be happy with bad decisions and incoveniences because we are doing well on the pitch?

I remember the photo but it wasn't Willie Wigham. It was a shorter ginger heided goalkeeper who was in that photo. Wigham never signed until 1972-73.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

To be honest Mike people are well within their rights to 'seethe' at these recent issues.

It may be easy enough for yourself to pick up a ticket but that wont be the case for everyone. Add to that the 'sold out' season ticket fiasco I can fully understand people's frustrations. I'd also say the board are rightly praised by most when they deserve it and they criticise them when they deserve it (not blaming the board for the current ticket issue).

Should we just be happy with bad decisions and incoveniences because we are doing well on the pitch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa_bQxBLFGQ

The A games will all be all ticket so presumably a ticket will be printed for every seat. At the two home games previous to the A games each seaon ticket holder, as well as handing over their voucher, shows the back of the ticket showing seat number to the checker. Checker hands over numbered ticket to season ticket holder. Any ticket holder not at either of the two previous games (surely a small minority) will have other opportunities to collect their tickets or get someone to collect them on their behalf. If anyone is stuck I'll pick them up for you. Simples.

To be fair, the pops at Alan or Gilbert are usually because of simple things that could be avoided if they would communicate with the fans a bit more. You cannot deny that their PR skills are horrendous and they've been the same no matter what league we are in. Just because we're doing well on the pitch doesn't mean we can't have complaints about what's happening off it.

I wouldn't deny that at all, Moonster. I've gone on record here before saying that these two Chuckle Brothers undo a lot of the great work they do for Dumbarton FC through their piss poor PR skills. However, in this case it appears to be something which is being considered, possibly due to pressure from the Police, and it has leaked out prior to the Board being in a position to make a final decision and communicate it properly. With fan representation on the board and volunteers helping throughout the set-up it is difficult to keep the lid on such things, especially in these days of t'internet. There's an old saying..."If four ears know something, the world knows it."

Someone in an earlier post criticised Alan Jardine for trying to squeeze every possible penny out of this once in a lifetime campaign. That's part of his job FFS. If he wasn't trying to maximise income some of these bampots would instead slag him for that. This season is a chance to make decent money for the club, either to keep us in this league and strengthen, or to rebuild for an immediate bounce-back should we slip down to Division 1.

P.S. I very rarely see/hear people giving Gilbert Lawrie & Alan Jardine any credit on here. The Trust guys get all the credit while these two (and the Brabco guys) get all the flak.

Edited by mike rankine

I wouldn't deny that at all, Moonster. I've gone on record here before saying that these two Chuckle Brothers undo a lot of the great work they do for Dumbarton FC through their piss poor PR skills. However, in this case it appears to be something which is being considered, possibly due to pressure from the Police, and it has leaked out prior to the Board being in a position to make a final decision and communicate it properly. With fan representation on the board and volunteers helping throughout the set-up it is difficult to keep the lid on such things, especially in these days of t'internet. There's an old saying..."If four ears know something, the world knows it."

Someone in an earlier post criticised Alan Jardine for trying to squeeze every possible penny out of this once in a lifetime campaign. That's part of his job FFS. If he wasn't trying to maximise income some of these bampots would instead slag him for that. This season is a chance to make decent money for the club, either to keep us in this league and strengthen, or to rebuild for an immediate bounce-back should we slip down to Division 1.

P.S. I very rarely see/hear people giving Gilbert Lawrie & Alan Jardine any credit on here. The Trust guys get all the credit while these two (and the Brabco guys) get all the flak.

I'm not blaming them for this latest one as from all sources here it seems to be something put on the club, past instances I'm not sure we can say the same. You're right, it is Alan's job to maximise our income but in doing so he's got to be sure not to piss off a number of his existing (long term) customers, which is the point some are making here. The things that have gone on over the summer are relatively small issues which in isolation would probably be forgotten about but when 2 or 3 instances start appearing in quick succession, it will always blow up.

I don't give the Trust flak on here, or anywhere for that matter. Why would anyone? These guys give up their own time as volunteers to help run loads of things - club website, trust website, youth development fundraisers, club fundraisers, fun days that we have each year, hospitality, the list goes on. Can anyone tell me what Alan and Gilbert do (I don't mean that in a "they dae nuhin" ignorant way, genuine question)? Is it a case of setting a budget, ticket prices and opening the stadium up when needed?

A suggestion as to why the Trust may take less flak - they actually discuss things with fans, maybe even try the novel approach of explaining the thought process behind the clubs decisions. Also, whenever there's been an open discussion for the fans at the stadium (often pushed forward by the Trust, btw), it's our board representative leading it with our chairman and CEO either nowhere to be seen or sitting quietly in the corner. This can rub off on fans the wrong way, it can seem like they genuinely aren't interested in what the fans think or say.

Out of 600 season ticket holders, how many are not going to go or give their ticket to a friend/family for the A games?

You could probably count them on the one hand, it'll cost more to print the tickets than any income from the very few seats sold.

I think I can identify 25 of them.....

I'm about the same, I think.

Back Row: Kenny Jenkins, ?, Bruce Livingston, Colin McAdam, Willie Whigham, Billy Wilkinson, Lawrie Williams, ? , Dennis Ruddy

Middle Row: Bobby McCallum, ?, Alan McKay, Andy McFadden, Gordon Menzies, ? , John Cushley, ? , Johnny Paterson, Drummond Mentiply!!!, Jack Bolton

Front Row: Bobby Holmes, Peter Coleman, Ian Fearn (maybe?), Charlie Gallacher, Ronnie Kidd, Kenny Wilson, Tom McAdam, Johnny Graham, Ian Miller (maybe?), Davie Wilson, Alex Wright

Notable absentees - Jackie Stewart and Puma