Sons' sorrow

That makes no sense whatsoever. If he's been so successful that bigger clubs are looking at him then we should want to hold on to him. It's hardly "best for both parties."

It might make no sense, but it might also just be accurate. Ian Murray had a wonderful first couple of seasons and deserved all the plaudits he received. He is though ambitious and for the second close season running the chatter is about his possible move to another club rather than the prospects for DFC. Bear in mind that he is on a reportedly (second) good package here for a less than a full week.

My main area of interest and concern is Dumbarton FC, hence my original opinion. I fear that a disinterested Manager may well risk turning the club around 360° and I saw worrying signs of that towards the end of the season just finished.

Just my view.

It might make no sense, but it might also just be accurate. Ian Murray had a wonderful first couple of seasons and deserved all the plaudits he received. He is though ambitious and for the second close season running the chatter is about his possible move to another club rather than the prospects for DFC. Bear in mind that he is on a reportedly (second) good package here for a less than a full week.

My main area of interest and concern is Dumbarton FC, hence my original opinion. I fear that a disinterested Manager may well risk turning the club around 360° and I saw worrying signs of that towards the end of the season just finished.

Just my view.

If he turns them, round 360 then he's still in the same place surely?

If he turns them, round 360 then he's still in the same place surely?

Yes, exactly. I don't want DFC to turn full circle back to where we all were when we embarked on this journey, and as I fear the growing risk of that happening that's why I suggested a fresh challenge for IM may now be best for both parties.

Yes, exactly. I don't want DFC to turn full circle back to where we all were when we embarked on this journey, and as I fear the growing risk of that happening that's why I suggested a fresh challenge for IM may now be best for both parties.

ah, get you now Frank. I thought you were talking about the point he had got us to, not the point he started from. My bad.

Just my view.

I spoke to one of the players on Friday night, who subsequently has re-signed for us, and his comment was that Murray had been hounding him to make a decision. So I think Murray is still focussed on the job.

Just my view.

I spoke to one of the players on Friday night, who subsequently has re-signed for us, and his comment was that Murray had been hounding him to make a decision. So I think Murray is still focussed on the job.

He's still doing his job, which is what we're paying him for. If he was to stop doing that then I imagine the club would part ways. The question mark here though remains over how motivated he is to stay here and see out another season. Applying for other jobs would suggest he isn't all that motivated to stay here and if he's unsuccessful in his interview then I think it leaves both him and the club in a difficult situation.

Motivation doesn't come into it, we're a decent part time club, but with probably a mediocre budget, if Murray has a chance to work with higher profile players on a better budget, and working full time with them, why should we stand in his way, anyone of us would be happy to create a better cv, take a promotion, or a pay rise ourselves, Murray's doing the same, moving up the tree. And at present, he's still doing his job he's contracted to, and during pre seaso, that's re signing players and looking for others to improve the team

Motivation doesn't come into it, we're a decent part time club, but with probably a mediocre budget, if Murray has a chance to work with higher profile players on a better budget, and working full time with them, why should we stand in his way, anyone of us would be happy to create a better cv, take a promotion, or a pay rise ourselves, Murray's doing the same, moving up the tree. And at present, he's still doing his job he's contracted to, and during pre seaso, that's re signing players and looking for others to improve the team

Motivation comes into every single job on the planet. If Murray gets his move we'll thank him for all he has done and wish him good luck, nobody here has said anything about denying or grudging him the move. I would love to be proven wrong and Murray stays and assembles the best squad we've seen and we go on to achieve yet more great things for a part-time club but I'm only commenting on what the situation appears to be.

It's interesting that all the rumours and speculation about Murray being unhappy, unmotivated, looking for a new challenge etc is coming from fans of our club rather than others.

I don't think that's interesting at all. He IS looking for a new challenge! He's said that he will move on all along and now he's applying for vacant posts. I don't really understand why some of us are taking stick for suggesting that he might not be motivated enough to stay here, given that he's actively trying to get out of here!

I'm going to paraphrase here but who said something similar to this, just after a defeat to another part time side in the closing games of our season:

"I've told a few guys in there that if they want to go they can go. There's no point in players staying here if they aren't up for the fight".

If that logic stands for a player, why shouldn't it stand for a manager?

It's interesting that all the rumours and speculation about Murray being unhappy, unmotivated, looking for a new challenge etc is coming from fans of our club rather than others.

Why would a fan of any other club care whether our manager is motivated or not?

People have their reasons for thinking this, they don't just dream it up. For myself I heard from a close family member of a player that 'Murray didn't seem that interested'. The fact hes applying for other positions would back that up.

Add to that results since the turn of the year and the shambolic state our squad was in with 1 recognised striker.

Again I'm not questioning Murray's ability, just his committment to our cause. Which to be honest is my 1 and only concern, and should be the clubs as well.

Applying for another job and still being motivated to do the best you can for your existing employer arnt mutually exclusive. Nobody will be surprised that Murray is interested in a full time post. However if he doesn't get it there is no reason why he will then be less motivated to get Dumbarton as high up the table as he can next season. After all it's still in his interests to do so.

Motivation does not come into it? Of course it does. Any manager of any organisation has to lead from that point of view. If you're at the top of the tree and you're not showing the correct attitude and performance, subordinates will pick up on it. As a player, would you be busting your knackers for a manager who is not motivated?

Applying for another job and still being motivated to do the best you can for your existing employer arnt mutually exclusive. Nobody will be surprised that Murray is interested in a full time post. However if he doesn't get it there is no reason why he will then be less motivated to get Dumbarton as high up the table as he can next season. After all it's still in his interests to do so.

Would applying for another job indicate that the manager would rather not be here?