Sons' sorrow

Plenty of Instagram opportunities in Australia.

What a weird few months for him. Leave us, sign for Raith, play in goals, retire, start business, unretire, nearly sign for East Kilbride, sign for Troon, play for Troon, agree on Facebook to a move to an Australian 5th Division team, secure said move, prepare to uproot your life to live on the other side of the planet.

I hope he's good at negotiating signing on fees.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Plenty of Instagram opportunities in Australia.

What a weird few months for him. Leave us, sign for Raith, play in goals, retire, start business, unretire, nearly sign for East Kilbride, sign for Troon, play for Troon, agree on Facebook to a move to an Australian 5th Division team, secure said move, prepare to uproot your life to live on the other side of the planet.

I hope he's good at negotiating signing on fees.

Makes me dizzy reading that. What a peculiar fellow. 

Sonstrust statement - https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/trust-response-to-comments-by-ian-wilson/

Anyone got a link to Wilson's piece in the Sun? A google search has given me no results and I'm not clicking through the Sun's website looking for it.

In any case, if he has said as the above statement says then that's a wonderful reply from the Trust. "I don't know if that's because I've not involved them enough" - no, Ian, it's because you tell us you've worked out a plan that will guarantee us more than double our current playing budget and you can't show us ANYTHING to back it up. It's because you've told us it'll cost £13.5M to build and shown us NOTHING that backs that up. It's because you constantly come across as angry at fans trying to find out information and put out contradictory statements which baffles them. He should be well aware of the concerns of fans and the fact he's in the press saying "I don't know why folk aren't happy" shows how fucking ridiculous his mind is.

I admire the guys from the Trust who are able to deal with this fool in such a level headed, respectful manner.

It's got to a point now I can't bear to look at the c**t and find myself reading his massively condescending statements with gritted teeth and an urge to swanton bomb onto his annoying face from the top of the castle.

Some of the stuff he comes out with is absolutely infuriating.

I've not read it yet, but this looks like the article to me

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/849241/dumbarton-can-cash-in-on-new-stadium-plan-on-and-off-the-pitch-says-ian-wilson/

Just a wee warning, it opens with a picture of Wilson up the Rock holding a scarf. Stand back from your monitors if you feel like such an image may lead you to violence. 

15 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I've not read it yet, but this looks like the article to me

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/849241/dumbarton-can-cash-in-on-new-stadium-plan-on-and-off-the-pitch-says-ian-wilson/

Just a wee warning, it opens with a picture of Wilson up the Rock holding a scarf. Stand back from your monitors if you feel like such an image may lead you to violence. 

I've just read it and the picture is actually the least infuriating thing about it. Not only does he reference the fact that Coventry don't own their stadium and are in a terrible mess, then state that Dumbarton's new ground won't be owned by the club in the very next sentence, but he appears to be taking credit for us being in Championship. He also states that our current ground needs serious investment to maintain it - perhaps we should've focused some energy on maintaining our ground over the last 5 years rather than doing nothing put push an unrealistic, over-ambitious stadium move, you absolute fucking welt.

The whole article is a fucking joke. He's basically pointing the finger at fans who doubt him whilst at the same time painting Brabco out as good guys here to save the club for no reason whatsoever.  Good guys who DON'T EVEN WANT THEIR NAMES KNOWN.

“If after nine years people can’t see we’re trying to do the right thing for the club they must be wearing blinkers."

f**k you right in the face, Wilson.

Edited by The Moonster

Right, here we go. I've had a wee read.

The first thing that hit me was how poor it is on a journalistic level. It acts almost as a propaganda piece for Wilson and Brabco. Why didn't Gareth Law tackle him on any of his comments? Why didn't he ask what the fans' concerns were? Why didn't he bring up the financial issues with a move? Why didn't he reference Jackie Baillie's comments on the matter? Why didn't he speak to Simon (or any other fans) to get their views? 

It reads, from start to finish including picture, like a leaflet handed out by a political party. Fully expect to see a bus with a big massive number on it parked outside the Rock next week.

It's nice to see we now have a date for the opening planned. Start of 2019/20. So July 2019. Planning permission hasn't even been applied for yet (I think I'm right in saying), yet we'll be running out in front of a packed Son Siro in just two years time. Fantasy. Like the whole 'Brabco' plans. Total fantasy.

"Saddened at a small minority". I've no idea if he's trolling, or for real, but this sort of comment does not surprise me one bit. During the meeting I felt he came across as arrogant and the way he spoke to our fans (his customers) was nothing short of disgraceful. It should only act to highlight the contempt this man has for us standing in the way of his prospective millions.

He speaks about "wanting to improve the experience for the fans". Cliche ridden drivel. At the moment we have a stadium with plenty of car parking, right near the heart of the town, near the station, in a beautiful location with a bar and all the amenities you could possible need. Never once have I felt like we need new facilities. 

“What’s happened since is very sad. They don’t own their stadium and it’s a nightmare."

Odd to hear a lifelong, diehard football fan refer to his team as "they". Especially when he's trying to convince us how much he cares. The mask slipped a little there I reckon.

“The stadium ownership will be the right thing for the club. Not for Brabco.”

Fine and good, but we don't know who Brabco are - remember? Maybe we'd be a wee bit more trusting if they weren't represented by a couple of slightly shady characters, and some we know nothing about. Especially given that we only ever hear from Wilson & Co. when he's telling us how unambitious we are.

We’re playing at a higher level than when we bought the club.

We are, aye. Not that, that's got anything to do with Brabco. It's scandalous this guy is trying to take credit for something he's played no part in. He thought we'd only been in the Championship for a couple of years for God's sake. 

“A lot of fans maybe don’t know we have planning permission to build town houses and apartments around the existing stadium.

Ah, here we go. OKI's 'Plan GTF' option. Proof that behind the charm, love and smiling face lies an assassin. You need to support the stadium, or else. Go for it mate. You said we're bad neighbours so I can imagine people will be queuing through the door for a lovely new house overlooking such bad neighbours.

“Housing has been encroaching on the stadium. We’re constrained in increasing the capacity but also what we can do around it for the community and for generating income for the club.

Housing is not encroaching. It's been built. There will be no housing built on our land unless, you guessed it, Brabco say so. We've filled our stadium about twice, against Rangers, in 17 years. I don't see us being in the same league as Rangers again, so that won't be an issue. If you want to involve the community more, then start trying to get them involved. How about some sort of special entry scheme for the Betfred Cup? Free for U16s, ST holders can bring a friend at a reduced rate, get a few players up at VOLA or Dumbarton East or wherever there's a pitch and do some sort of summer coaching thing for local kids. I've no doubt we have players who will have their eyes set on coaching, so it's a win/win. Would it really be difficult to get David Smith or Darren Barr or whoever to spend 3 hours or so working with some kids who would probably look up to them, and may even become fans? If we want to get into the community that's the sort of thing we should be doing.

The ground is in need of some serious repairs. Serious money needs spent. The club would probably have a smaller playing budget.

More threats. Lets see details of these repairs. Not all the fans, just the Trust members. Details of why they need to be carried out, how much it'll cost and what will happen if we don't do it. I dare say we, as fans, would happily chip in if we could be any use. There's bound to be guys with a trade who would be happy to help us out on a reduced rate.

“If after nine years people can’t see we’re trying to do the right thing for the club they must be wearing blinkers.

I'm wearing blinkers in that case, Ian. In fact so are several hundred of us. The trust and the fans have been totally reasonable about things, and going crying to the papers like this will do more harm than good for your cause.

Finally I find it very telling that he's been unwilling to do much speaking with the Reporter, yet suddenly opens all out to a national. Adam at the Reporter has done an excellent job of exposing some of the goings on (and I say that as a loyal Lennox man obvs), so presumably he's too well informed to interview him. Getting a nice picture with a scarf in the nationals is far easier.

There you go then. Not quite as well put as Simon's, but then again he's far more experienced than I am ;)

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Sonstrust statement - https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2017/04/10/trust-response-to-comments-by-ian-wilson/

Anyone got a link to Wilson's piece in the Sun? A google search has given me no results and I'm not clicking through the Sun's website looking for it.

In any case, if he has said as the above statement says then that's a wonderful reply from the Trust. "I don't know if that's because I've not involved them enough" - no, Ian, it's because you tell us you've worked out a plan that will guarantee us more than double our current playing budget and you can't show us ANYTHING to back it up. It's because you've told us it'll cost £13.5M to build and shown us NOTHING that backs that up. It's because you constantly come across as angry at fans trying to find out information and put out contradictory statements which baffles them. He should be well aware of the concerns of fans and the fact he's in the press saying "I don't know why folk aren't happy" shows how fucking ridiculous his mind is.

Maybe he mistook Jackie Baillie for a small group?

Good post, S08. One point on the costs of maintaining our current ground I'm told are quite substantial. The pitch is probably due to be relaid, floodlights have been ignored for years now and are at a critical stage, the land at the river side is a long known problem. On top of all that, it could do with a good wash. All of that is a considerable amount of money, but it can be raised if there is a will to raise it. Brabco's argument will be "why waste money on that when we are moving?".

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Good post, S08. One point on the costs of maintaining our current ground I'm told are quite substantial. The pitch is probably due to be relaid, floodlights have been ignored for years now and are at a critical stage, the land at the river side is a long known problem. On top of all that, it could do with a good wash. All of that is a considerable amount of money, but it can be raised if there is a will to raise it. Brabco's argument will be "why waste money on that when we are moving?".

Aye, it seems a bit like finding out you need a new boiler but, instead of replacing it, dreaming of building a 9 bedroom mansion in the countryside. If Brabco won't pay for it then two things will happen.

Firstly we might need to be called into action, with some fundraising stuff, or helping out where we can. Secondly that would almost certainly paint Brabco in a bad light, forcing their fans to pay whilst they aspire to move into a new Sons SuperStadium yet can't fund maintenance of their current location. Dare I say that might raise even more concerned eyebrows amongst our already sceptical support?

Ironically it could lead to us playing Wilson at his own game.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye, it seems a bit like finding out you need a new boiler but, instead of replacing it, dreaming of building a 9 bedroom mansion in the countryside. If Brabco won't pay for it then two things will happen.

Firstly we might need to be called into action, with some fundraising stuff, or helping out where we can. Secondly that would almost certainly paint Brabco in a bad light, forcing their fans to pay whilst they aspire to move into a new Sons SuperStadium yet can't fund maintenance of their current location. Dare I say that might raise even more concerned eyebrows amongst our already sceptical support?

Ironically it could lead to us playing Wilson at his own game.

Indeed. We could potentially, in say 2 years time, be in League 1 and have a ground which is falling to bits. If we then need to cut our playing budget to fix things, with barely any fans coming through the away gate and reduced prize money, then it doesn't take Einstein to figure out which direction the club goes there. It could potentially set us back years after we've spent the last decade getting ourselves onto a good financial footing.

Fixing things now whilst we are in this division, with good travelling supports and good prize money, is surely the most sensible option and one that any good business man would take. 

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I admire the guys from the Trust who are able to deal with this fool in such a level headed, respectful manner.

It's got to a point now I can't bear to look at the c**t and find myself reading his massively condescending statements with gritted teeth and an urge to swanton bomb onto his annoying face from the top of the castle.

Some of the stuff he comes out with is absolutely infuriating.

We're happy to be level-headed and respectful, because that's what we are.  If it's not reciprocated, that's a telling comment about those not doing the reciprocating. 

As to the remarks we're responding to. Er, they're not exactly a masterclass in "how to win friends and influence people", are they?

Nor do they immediately seem to evidence the balanced judgement you'd hope for from someone heading up a major development involving a significant community facility...   (Well, that's what someone said to me this morning. I couldn't possibly comment.)

Simon