Sons' sorrow

A post on Facebook linking us with Craig Samson and former Aberdeen U20s player Jamie Henry.
Henry is from Clydebank by the looks of things, and appears to be a utility man. Capable of playing at RB/CM/10 or upfront. I know little about him, apart from the fact he spent an unproductive loan spell with Arbroath a few years ago. His versatility and locality (combined, I would assume with a low wage) mean that it's a move I could maybe see happening.  
Samson is a 'keeper I've never really been a fan of. He seems to have a nasty habit of parrying the ball directly to opposition players. He's had a decent career though, but I can't help but feel that signing him would be a bit too Mark Browny.
It could, of course, all be complete drivel. But at least it's given me something to think about!

Samson would be a very Brown/Stevenson style signing! One where we all hope works but deep down we worry about

In three of the last four seasons he's played over thirty games in the top division. He must have been doing something right

Sorry to chip in here but he really, really wasn't (last season anyway). The only reason he played as often was because McGhee managed to sign a back-up who was (possibly) as bad as Samson in Dean Brill. Brill had managed 20 mins of football in about 18 months and it showed, at least in his games for our u20s he never played a minute for the first team nor has he played since he moved to Colchester in January.

Samson made mistake after mistake, McGhee still played him week in week out. As I said in our thread it was like some weird football purgatory. He was getting cheered ironically by his own fans when he caught the ball. It was absolutely brutal and his confidence must have been utterly shot but McGhee did nothing, didn't bring in a better 'keeper in January or even give Brill a shot.

Samson signing for Motherwell in the first place was absolutely bizarre. He arranged his release from Killie because he was unhappy about having lost his first choice spot to Jamie MacDonald so he signed for Motherwell who already had 2 first team keepers and sat on the bench at Fir Park as 2nd choice to Connor Ripley (whose loan we extended in January rather than make Samson our first choice, which says a lot). He didn't manage a minute of football for 7 months and only got a run out once we were safe in the top 6.

Whether it was down to our budget being reduced last summer or McGhee being exceptionally lazy we offered Samson new terms, seemingly as he happened to be kicking about. Despite literally dropping the ball at the feet of opposition players and it being clear from the reactions of players that they had no confidence in him it took Samson's total collapse against Dundee (lost 7 in a row and managed by a TV pundit lest we forget) in the post-split fixture for Robinson to drop him and play Russell Griffiths who we've had on loan from Everton but McGhee refused to play. Fwiw it's still unclear as to whether Griffiths is any good or not as he barely had a save of note to make in his 4 games.

So aye, there may be an argument that Samson might get on a bit better if he was to drop a level but there's absolutely no question, he was an absolutely terrible goalkeeper for Motherwell.

Looking at the Ayr United thread, it appears that Greg Fleming has a good job outside of football, and might not be willing to go full-time. He'd be a far better option imo.

Yeah I'd noticed that too. They seem quite defensive about it that his contract just 'needs tweaking' and he's on a two-year deal anyway, but I don't think he's a definite to be staying at Ayr next season, given that he seems to be one of the few who haven't committed to full-time yet.

I'd certainly take him in a heartbeat should he become available.

I think I heard that he lives around Dumfries way? Travelling might be an issue.

Annan I think. But assuming he wants to stay in Scotland his options down that way are limited. Queens have Aldo, and Annan would be quite a drop.

All really pointless at the moment, but at least it's keeping us occupied. Just wish we'd sign somebody!

Bob McHugh has joined Morton I've just seen on their thread. So he's another one who won't be coming our way.

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

That's Morton good for a few last-minute goals this season then.

Capture.PNG

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Annan I think. But assuming he wants to stay in Scotland his options down that way are limited. Queens have Aldo, and Annan would be quite a drop.

All really pointless at the moment, but at least it's keeping us occupied. Just wish we'd sign somebody!

Bob McHugh has joined Morton I've just seen on their thread. So he's another one who won't be coming our way.

2 minutes too slow mate 8) I got a picture and everything ;)

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

So the plans are officially lodged.....

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3046

Just checking, did Brabco respond to the questions written by trust members at the meeting in November? In fact did they release anything about that bizarre survey they gave us?

I'm assuming the answer is no. It's unlike me to miss these things.

Concerning stuff. I'd love to hear the views of any fans who are backing this move, whilst the parties behind it remain so unwilling to accept that they may need to win the fans over (by providing detailed costings, and proven guarantees that it won't damage the club's future). Hopefully WDC reject the planning nice and quickly (lol, council acting quickly...) and we can see what desperate, Harebrained Scheme they come up with next. A 150 foot viewing tower perhaps, or a Maid of the Loch based theme park.

Yeah, Greg Fleming would be a very good replacement for Aldo, but as you suggest, it's all just conjecture at this stage. If it were to be down to travelling as you also say, it would limit him somewhat.

I just can't say I'd be enthralled by Craig Samson at all...

So the plans are officially lodged.....

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3046

I notice it says they'll consider it and have a decision in 4-6 months. Hardly a quick resolution is it? Although as long as it's the right resolution, that's all I'm hoping for.

Theres a significant difference between submitting a planning application and having a fully costed development that's ready to sign the procurement contracts. Some things the owners simply won't be able to tell us because they don't know themselves Others they won't tell us because they may have provisionally agreed outline terms on contracts and would cite commercial confidentiality.

There's still a significant gap from where we are today to us picking up the keys to a shiny new stadium. There's plenty of scope for the project to change, even if planning consent is granted. This is really just a small step in the overall grand scheme of the Brabco proposal to move the club to a new development at Youngs Farm. It's ticking a small box on a very long list that stands between where we are now and where we'll be in 5 years time - wherever that may be.

But it shouldn't stop fans from continuing to engage with the Sons Trust, with the club board and with Brabco. Our efforts to ensure the best possible deal for Dumbarton FC don't simply go on hold whilst we wait for the council to make a decision. We remain vigilant and keep pushing the issues that are most important to us.

16 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Sorry to chip in here but he really, really wasn't (last season anyway). The only reason he played as often was because McGhee managed to sign a back-up who was (possibly) as bad as Samson in Dean Brill. Brill had managed 20 mins of football in about 18 months and it showed, at least in his games for our u20s he never played a minute for the first team nor has he played since he moved to Colchester in January.

Samson made mistake after mistake, McGhee still played him week in week out. As I said in our thread it was like some weird football purgatory. He was getting cheered ironically by his own fans when he caught the ball. It was absolutely brutal and his confidence must have been utterly shot but McGhee did nothing, didn't bring in a better 'keeper in January or even give Brill a shot.

Samson signing for Motherwell in the first place was absolutely bizarre. He arranged his release from Killie because he was unhappy about having lost his first choice spot to Jamie MacDonald so he signed for Motherwell who already had 2 first team keepers and sat on the bench at Fir Park as 2nd choice to Connor Ripley (whose loan we extended in January rather than make Samson our first choice, which says a lot). He didn't manage a minute of football for 7 months and only got a run out once we were safe in the top 6.

Whether it was down to our budget being reduced last summer or McGhee being exceptionally lazy we offered Samson new terms, seemingly as he happened to be kicking about. Despite literally dropping the ball at the feet of opposition players and it being clear from the reactions of players that they had no confidence in him it took Samson's total collapse against Dundee (lost 7 in a row and managed by a TV pundit lest we forget) in the post-split fixture for Robinson to drop him and play Russell Griffiths who we've had on loan from Everton but McGhee refused to play. Fwiw it's still unclear as to whether Griffiths is any good or not as he barely had a save of note to make in his 4 games.

So aye, there may be an argument that Samson might get on a bit better if he was to drop a level but there's absolutely no question, he was an absolutely terrible goalkeeper for Motherwell.

A superb post if I say so. I know people who go to Well games and they have been

saying the thing about Craig Samson for ages. That McGhie wouldnt drop him under

any circumstances. I noted some time ago that goalkeeping coach James Hollman

had left Fir Park and returned south to resume working with goalkeepers. Having

watched some of his sessions i wondered if it was to be nearer his family, or 

something else had happened - maybe he felt there should have been a change

( Russell Griffiths in). 

Theres a significant difference between submitting a planning application and having a fully costed development that's ready to sign the procurement contracts. Some things the owners simply won't be able to tell us because they don't know themselves Others they won't tell us because they may have provisionally agreed outline terms on contracts and would cite commercial confidentiality.
There's still a significant gap from where we are today to us picking up the keys to a shiny new stadium. There's plenty of scope for the project to change, even if planning consent is granted. This is really just a small step in the overall grand scheme of the Brabco proposal to move the club to a new development at Youngs Farm. It's ticking a small box on a very long list that stands between where we are now and where we'll be in 5 years time - wherever that may be.
But it shouldn't stop fans from continuing to engage with the Sons Trust, with the club board and with Brabco. Our efforts to ensure the best possible deal for Dumbarton FC don't simply go on hold whilst we wait for the council to make a decision. We remain vigilant and keep pushing the issues that are most important to us.

One thing which could prove to be significant in this application is the fact that it's being submitted on behalf of Brabco and not DFC. I wouldn't be surprised if Brabco had tried to engineer the reverse, and if so credit to the Board for defending the club's interests.