Sons' sorrow

Doesn't look like we'll be getting Hilson
Though I noticed that they decided not to offer Willis Furtado a deal yesterday, the Stenny fans on here seemed to really rate him, and he looks like he has the potential to be a smashing player. Wouldn't be averse to Stevie having a look at him.

Hope we charged the wee c**t a fiver per training session.

I was always quite impressed with Wilson in the U20s - great range of passing. He started against Airdrie in the League Cup last year and was one of the better players on show that night.

However, he's really suffered from being kept as first team back up. He needed a loan spell about two years ago and never got one until Stranraer in January where he flitted in and out the team.

I wouldn't have thought he would step into a Championship midfield though. Slightly built and was never too convinced of his play without the ball.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Doesn't look like we'll be getting Hilson

Though I noticed that they decided not to offer Willis Furtado a deal yesterday, the Stenny fans on here seemed to really rate him, and he looks like he has the potential to be a smashing player. Wouldn't be averse to Stevie having a look at him.

It was James Fowler who signed Dale for us so the link is obvious, as it was with Reilly.

I was always quite impressed with Wilson in the U20s - great range of passing. He started against Airdrie in the League Cup last year and was one of the better players on show that night.
However, he's really suffered from being kept as first team back up. He needed a loan spell about two years ago and never got one until Stranraer in January where he flitted in and out the team.
I wouldn't have thought he would step into a Championship midfield though. Slightly built and was never too convinced of his play without the ball.

Someone who flitted in and out of a side who finished in the bottom half of League 1 sounds highly unconvincing.

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Someone who flitted in and out of a side who finished in the bottom half of League 1 sounds highly unconvincing.

Yes.

With the exception of the Andy Stirling resurrection last season most signings from the lower Leagues haven't been too successful.

It's a big step up to The Championship.

Yes.
With the exception of the Andy Stirling resurrection last season most signings from the lower Leagues haven't been too successful.

Robert Thomson too. Although, like Stirling, he took his time to adapt to the step up.

He sounds fairly meh, but I'll trust Stevie's judgement either way. We need centre-mids, and I suspect he'll start with GGal and Carsy in there regardless of who we sign.

Yes.

I've got no issue with signing guys who stand out in the leagues below. Guys like Thommo and Stirling prove it's a formula that works.

Signing average guys who can't get regular games in the league below should be an absolute non-starter IMO. Unless there's some form of injury and unique circumstance keeping them from getting games.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Canny keep up with all these deals now. We do need a midfielder or two. Furtado sounds decent but I've genuinely never heard of Wilson. @jagfox99 what's the score with Wilson?

Nowhere near as good as Welsh although he is younger. Actually played a couple of good games at Parkhead. Can be quite a tidy player who can pick out a pass, he would would benefit greatly from regular game time.

ive no idea how he got on down in Stinlar, you'd probably be better asking one of their fans on that score? 

3 hours ago, Le shocolate moose said:

I was always impressed with Wilson when he played. Good skilful player with a decent turn of pace who I was hoping we would go for again. Will be a good signing for Dumbarton if they get him.

3 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

Wilson didnt play enough in my opinion. Was a direct runner and looked a better option than some others who got gametime.

Lifted from the Stranraer thread.