Sons' sorrow

54 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

So Rangers will be allowed to field 2 overage players against us next week in the diddy cup.

Anyone still considering going needs to seriously think about why they go to football. We have the opportunity to send out a great message to the SPFL by boycotting this.

I'm organising a "IRN BRU CUP IS A FARCE, STICK YOUR COLTS UP YOUR ARSE" banner that we can raise over the fence on the far side a la East Fife fans on the Mound. BBPF has a "DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING" one looked out too. 

In all seriousness, there are a number of superfans who will attend this without understanding the consequences. There is no reasoning with these folk either - we just need to hope enough of us have a brain cell and stay away.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm organising a "IRN BRU CUP IS A FARCE, STICK YOUR COLTS UP YOUR ARSE" banner that we can raise over the fence on the far side a la East Fife fans on the Mound. BBPF has a "DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING" one looked out too. 

In all seriousness, there are a number of superfans who will attend this without understanding the consequences. There is no reasoning with these folk either - we just need to hope enough of us have a brain cell and stay away.

:lol: A proper Father Ted protest would steal the headlines, that would be fantastic.

Aye, I don't doubt some folk will be along. Although I've noticed a few who I'd have had money on being there saying they'll be boycotting on Facebook - so that's a surprising positive. 

Hopefully Les Hope pumps up the gate prices. £40 for everyone. Fleece the weirdos and the local bigots.

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Hopefully Les Hope pumps up the gate prices. £40 for everyone. Fleece the weirdos and the local bigots.

I was actually going to suggest this. £25 a skull. No concession rates. After all, these are the future (and two current) International stars we are watching, surely worth more than watching silly old part time players every week.

I propose we use a play for the sons select team for this colts game. You could sign them all on amateur contracts so it wouldn't cost the club anything and would highlight what a complete farce this competition is. It would also mean we get no more 1st team players injured. Still charge 40 quid a head right enough.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I think there will be more absentees than you think; I sat on Sat with a couple of out-of-town mates and when we discussed forthcoming games this fixture never even got a mention.  We have a number of fans from outwith the burgh and I doubt more than a handful will turn up - I'm certainly not.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think there will be more absentees than you think; I sat on Sat with a couple of out-of-town mates and when we discussed forthcoming games this fixture never even got a mention.  We have a number of fans from outwith the burgh and I doubt more than a handful will turn up - I'm certainly not.

I hope you're right but there were more than a few posts on the facebook group with folk saying "I'll be there, I support Dumbarton not anyone else, don't care who we're playing". I reckon the crowd may make it over 300.

There ll be plenty of rangers fans turn up. Dfc wont notice financially; however I hope theres a noticeable difference in the home support and that its flagged up to authorities.

Attendace figures from last season's Old Firm colt matches suggest they don't tend to care about it and certainly don't turn up in large enough numbers to balance out the lack of attendees in the home end.

I'm confident the crowd will be low.

I would guess the pyro stuff is being pushed by the league rather than the club.
If you take pyro to a game you deserve a lifetime ban, not because it's dangerous but because they are shite, don't create atmosphere and ruin everyones view of the game. 

The freedom fighting bhoys of the Goon Brigade like to be edgy and anti-establishment with their pyros. As a result, the likes of Brechin and ourselves have to get a warning for what is predominantly an Old Firm issue.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I would guess the pyro stuff is being pushed by the league rather than the club.

It's an agreed statement by the Football Safety Officers Association in conjunction with Police Scotland. It's not directly from the League though I've no doubt they are in full support of it (as should everybody be who isn't a complete moron). Every club is supposed to publish it. We published it this morning also.

f259658f05c3d2768f3e9a7c4621cb3f.gif

I was never considering attending the Rangers u-20 match but would've gone to a tie with a non colt team. I might reconsider this as a result of the "mentor" rule although given our record in this competition, it may not become an issue.

I don't actually think if only a handful of Dumbarton fans turn up it will even register on the SFA radar. They think we're a diddy club with a shit support in any case. So whilst I can admire the stance taken by many of you, I think the only impact it will have is on our beloved club. Financially in a one off game and potentially beyond as no fans to capitalise on a home advantage and you may be more likely to be put out.

Having said all that I think it's an absolute shit draw to get Rangers Colts in a cup game and it completely devalues the competition. Damned if you do damned if you don't type of thing.

15 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

I don't actually think if only a handful of Dumbarton fans turn up it will even register on the SFA radar. They think we're a diddy club with a shit support in any case. So whilst I can admire the stance taken by many of you, I think the only impact it will have is on our beloved club. Financially in a one off game and potentially beyond as no fans to capitalise on a home advantage and you may be more likely to be put out.

Having said all that I think it's an absolute shit draw to get Rangers Colts in a cup game and it completely devalues the competition. Damned if you do damned if you don't type of thing.

I see where you're coming from but I think they will be watching our crowd, especially with us playing Rangers. Yes, the club needs money but if Colts are introduced to the league system, which is the main aim with all this, then the financial impact on the club could be far greater. A short term hit to stop long term loss.

It will help to show our board that we won't accept colt teams into the league though. And, at the end of the day, they'll eventually have to vote on whether or not to accept or reject the proposal. If we, the fans, send out a strong message then theres no way they can support it.

Maybe I'm full of youthful ignorance that we can stop this happening, but I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I went along on Tuesday, and then had to spend the next 20 years of my Sons supporting life watching us battle youth teams for league titles that held little value.