Sons' sorrow

Looking ahead to next week, we'll have to ask  parent clubs for permission to use their players. If we can't play Thomas and Allardice (deals up in January) and Smith (deal up at the end of every week) then we genuinely might struggle to put 11 players on the park.

Looking ahead to next week, we'll have to ask  parent clubs for permission to use their players. If we can't play Thomas and Allardice (deals up in January) and Smith (deal up at the end of every week) then we genuinely might struggle to put 11 players on the park.

Good. We can ask for a postponement and I won't need to watch us

It's not really Aitken's fault that Jack Aitchison was a shitebag who didn't fancy a battle in League 1 tbh. Regardless of the staunchness.
To be fair, we've never been told what happened with Atchison, it all seems to be rather mysterious.

18 minutes ago, albundy said:
2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
It's not really Aitken's fault that Jack Aitchison was a shitebag who didn't fancy a battle in League 1 tbh. Regardless of the staunchness.

To be fair, we've never been told what happened with Atchison, it all seems to be rather mysterious.

There's nothing mysterious.  The lad had personal issues which had absolutely nothing to do with DFC, and it was simply a case of those issues coinciding with his loan spell, which was then concluded.

There's nothing mysterious.  The lad had personal issues which had absolutely nothing to do with DFC, and it was simply a case of those issues coinciding with his loan spell, which was then concluded.
What were the personal issues, out of interest? He's been a regular in the Celtic reserve side since he stopped featuring for Dumbarton (not to mention his regular call ups to the Scotland setup).

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
6 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

What were the personal issues, out of interest? He's been a regular in the Celtic reserve side since he stopped featuring for Dumbarton (not to mention his regular call ups to the Scotland setup).

His father passed away.  The lad is around 19.   Possibly he was affected by it and maybe playing for a struggling Dumbarton team wasn't his No1 priority at that particular time.   Or perhaps he  liked the idea that Sons fans can dream up a conspiracy over just about anything.   Who knows, and who should now care - it's done.

His father passed away.  The lad is around 19.   Possibly he was affected by it and maybe playing for a struggling Dumbarton team wasn't his No1 priority at that particular time.   Or perhaps he  liked the idea that Sons fans can dream up a conspiracy over just about anything.   Who knows, and who should now care - it's done.
His father passed away in January. He may well have been affected by it, but that doesn't explain why he couldn't play for Dumbarton but was able to play for Celtic reserves and Scotland.

It's not really a conspiracy when you have a player leave your team under mysterious circumstances yet is he able to turn out for Celtic and Scotland.

I also don't buy this attitude of 'we shouldn't care, it's in the past'. We invested a wage and a slot in the squad. Fans are quite right to question why the hell he isn't currently playing for us when we have Michael Paton bumbling about as a lone striker.

????
What about Jamie Lindsay, big Stuart Findlay, Sam Wardrop etc? Were they treated badly by Stevie because of their parent club?
Bollocks sir :lol:

Findlay was in the Ian Murray era but I get your point. I think that anyone claiming this is why Aitchison left just has an agenda against Aitken.

Tbh based on what I’ve seen of Paton recently I think he’ll be lucky to finish the season without going down the Andy Little route. He appears to be struggling to make any sort of impact because his movement is now so poor after all the injuries etc. Every time I see him run I think it looks like he’s an old man in pain.

I would say out of the current squad there's genuinely only about 3 or 4 I'd happily keep. Thomas, Forbes, Ballantyne and at a push Gallagher. Unfortunately Duffy confirmed yesterday he views Gallagher as a winger so with that in mind O'd rather he left as well.

Realisticly we can't completely overhaul the squad in January but I do think Duffy will look to make maybe 4 or 5 changes, and he already has Andy Little's wage sitting there. I think a couple of guys may be quite easy to move on with minimal financial hit. If I was Duffy I'd be looking at getting rid of the following:

Dyer
Allardice (loan expired)
Loy
One of Spencer/Hutton/Carswell (I accept this is highly unlikely)

We also have Andy Little's wage and potentially Jack Aitchisons wage but we'll call it 4 additions to the team. IMO we need a quality centre back, a left back, a striker and a goalkeeper. I'm guessing Smith will be added permanently in January and I can't see him commanding a big wage. If we can shift Dyer, Loy and Allardice on and replace them with better like for like players we'll be doing well IMO.

Smith certainly seems competent enough. He's had his nasty moments but is the best of the three this season. (Although,to be fair to McGowan he wasn't given much of a chance.)

Much as it pains me to say it, I could see someone like Raith or Arbroath making a move for Forbes in January.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I would say out of the current squad there's genuinely only about 3 or 4 I'd happily keep. Thomas, Forbes, Ballantyne and at a push Gallagher. Unfortunately Duffy confirmed yesterday he views Gallagher as a winger so with that in mind O'd rather he left as well.

Realisticly we can't completely overhaul the squad in January but I do think Duffy will look to make maybe 4 or 5 changes, and he already has Andy Little's wage sitting there. I think a couple of guys may be quite easy to move on with minimal financial hit. If I was Duffy I'd be looking at getting rid of the following:

Dyer
Allardice (loan expired)
Loy
One of Spencer/Hutton/Carswell (I accept this is highly unlikely)

We also have Andy Little's wage and potentially Jack Aitchisons wage but we'll call it 4 additions to the team. IMO we need a quality centre back, a left back, a striker and a goalkeeper. I'm guessing Smith will be added permanently in January and I can't see him commanding a big wage. If we can shift Dyer, Loy and Allardice on and replace them with better like for like players we'll be doing well IMO.

I think it’s highly unlikely Loy will be leaving in January.

I think it’s highly unlikely Loy will be leaving in January.

Indeed. Much as I'd like to see him move on I'm not sure how we'd do that if he's injured. I'd add Paton to the list of those we should try to get rid of but again not sure how we'd manage it
It's certainly not guaranteed we'll be able to move these guys on but I think Duffy will try. For example, Loy is at a stage of his career now where he'll be wanting to play games, if Duffy tells him he's not part of his plans it would be in his best interests to move on.

I suppose it just depends on the situation at the time and whether or not the player values playing over picking up the easy wage. If Loy is still injured in January he'll be going nowhere unfortunately.