Sons' sorrow

could be the making or breaking season ??

IF you do well next season , it would maybe encourage Murray to stay for longer , however , crash and burn (like Morton....near promotion to relegation) , then its a stick on that Murray won`t hang around for much longer..

Next season will definitely be tougher with there likely to be only two part-time sides in the league and plenty of big clubs with good squads looking to get promoted to the top flight. We may well struggle next season, but it will be a test of character and ability for the staff and players.

could be the making or breaking season ??

IF you do well next season , it would maybe encourage Murray to stay for longer , however , crash and burn (like Morton....near promotion to relegation) , then its a stick on that Murray won`t hang around for much longer..

I'm not sure another season of doing well would be enough to encourage him to stay beyond that tbh. It's more that next season's league will almost certainly be the toughest for years to come (with Sevco coming up and all that). Survive next season and we can seriously look at becoming a stable Championship club.

Edited by FifeSons

If we can hang on to Murray for just one more year it would be fantastic. Next season is the crucial season for us IMO.

I actually believe staying up this current season was one of the most 'crucial' in years. The Championship next year will include teams like Hearts, The Rangers, Dunfermline, possibly Hibs, Falkirk and even Dundee and to be relegated and miss this chance would have been disappointing. As a Dumbarton fan I am now so excited about next season.

I actually believe staying up this current season was one of the most 'crucial' in years. The Championship next year will include teams like Hearts, The Rangers, Dunfermline, possibly Hibs, Falkirk and even Dundee and to be relegated and miss this chance would have been disappointing. As a Dumbarton fan I am now so excited about next season.

I completely agree, my point is that next season is even more crucial.

Typical that our most exciting season in my lifetime is the year I leave the country :(

Here's a question, would we prefer Murray built a squad over the summer but was nabbed early in the season (after the transfer window had closed), meaning the new manager coming in would have to work with Murray's squad or would we rather that Murray went earlier meaning that a new manager coming in could build his own squad?

For me if a new manager has the time to 'build his own squad' he'd be starting about June, and I don't see that happening unless St. Mirren come down.

I think the former is much more likely.

Although frankly I'd prefer it if we just chained Murray to the home dugout. Problem solved.

Edited by untitled00

Murray will stay I'm sure, how high would his stock be if he repeated this season? Big challenge for every manager next season

I think Ian Murray already has enough credit in the Bank of Reputation that he could afford another season with us, one in which expectation will be very low but the experience for him absolutely invaluable. And obviously were he to keep us up for a fourth term then his stock would soar accordingly.

And anyway I'm far from convinced that he would wish to go to somewhere like St Mirren where you are under pressure from the word go, especially with less than two years football management under your belt. The most significant factor in all of it could turn out to be Leanne Dempster's move this week from Motherwell to Easter Road; Murray is known to be no fan of Rod Petrie and if he really is taking a step back from running Hibs then watch this space in around a year's time should Big Tel struggle in the season ahead they will presumably still grant him ;)

Surely he'll stay to get a crack at the zombies and hearts.

I'm intrigued. Purely out of interest, you started off with a lovely DFC crest as an avatar, now its "old firm related", zombies crest, zombies this & that, "Love Hibs but hate Butcher"?

Mine, its Paulie Walnuts because I look like him.

Lets keep things Sons is all I'm trying to say.

Nae offence and all that.

Stenny fans seem to like him, could be decent.

Read an interview on TDT today with Murray. Says he's confident him and the club will sort out a deal and now that we know what prize money we're getting we can begin confirming targets. Hopes most of the squad will stay but feels we need 3 or 4 players added. Can't disagree with that really, if we add 4 and supplement that with loans whilst holding on to the ones we want we should have a good squad. A lot can change though.

If/when Ian does leave, do you reckon he'd take Jack Ross with him? Would Jacko want to go or stay on as our manager - he'd be my immediate choice.

Fairly certain he'll take Jack with him. Murray seems to be quite a superstitious guy and I think because he's had success with that coaching team he'll take it with him.

The good things is if he does go he couldn't have left us in a better position and I'm sure there will be plenty of folk looking to take the job.

Been following the awards on twitter:

Travel POTY- Paul McGinn

Sons View POTY- Chris Turner

Young player of the Year- Paul McGinn

Top Goalscorer- Mitch Megginson

Players POTY- Paul McGinn

POTY- Paul McGinn

Well deserved for McGinn, getting him signed up for next season would be magic!

Edited by Sonsteam of 08