Sons' sorrow

My idea of having a board was only one example of marketing the club. Marketing raises awareness but, if you do it right, also creates the value that you mention.
The newspaper coverage is beneficial for reporting the facts / speculation about the club but doesn't really promote DFC the brand. Also it only covers those who buy the papers and not those who don't which is a growing population if you look at circulation figures.
Bottom line is we do not have a marketing strategy and that is to the clubs detriment in my opinion.
We don't to my knowledge have a Commercial Manager and that means you have no dedicated focus on sponsorship, merchandise, hospitality and match pricing/inducements. It is a gaping hole and I wonder how many of our rivals have such a role in place.
In this day and age anything other than a professional approach, like banners, etc , is tinkering around the edges.

Picked this up from Dumbarton Memories on Facebook - Dumbarton District festival parade, 1992.

Open top bus with club crest - trying to pick out who's on it.  I've convinced myself that I see Charlie Gibson and Jim Dempsey, but I'm too lazy to research if they were even with the club in the summer of '92 (though I think they were).

Any other takers?

image.png

17 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Picked this up from Dumbarton Memories on Facebook - Dumbarton District festival parade, 1992.

Open top bus with club crest - trying to pick out who's on it.  I've convinced myself that I see Charlie Gibson and Jim Dempsey, but I'm too lazy to research if they were even with the club in the summer of '92 (though I think they were).

Any other takers?

image.png

I bought a VCR out of that Clydesdale electrical goods shop behind the bus stop.

15 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We need the population of West Dunbartonshire and Helensburgh to start valuing it's local football club. People know we're here. What we need is for people to start to care.

I don't have the answer, but If you are just going to passivley wait until that happens then the club will continue its steady decline.

In this day and age with all the competing factors and costs, you cant afford to sit back and wait for people to start to care. Even in the recent period of relative succcess in the Chamionship, the attendances never really picked up as they showed.

If the recent discussion is anything to by, the Club might be better off with a Part Time manager (some creative recruitment needed obviosuly) and a Full Time Commerical Manager to increase the clubs fund for all the other suggestions. rather than the current set up.

I don't have the answer, but If you are just going to passivley wait until that happens then the club will continue its steady decline.
In this day and age with all the competing factors and costs, you cant afford to sit back and wait for people to start to care. Even in the recent period of relative succcess in the Chamionship, the attendances never really picked up as they showed.
If the recent discussion is anything to by, the Club might be better off with a Part Time manager (some creative recruitment needed obviosuly) and a Full Time Commerical Manager to increase the clubs fund for all the other suggestions. rather than the current set up.
Jim Duffy isn't full-time.

6 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Any other takers?

image.png

Red jumper is definitely Charlie. Jim Dempsey had just captained us to the title that year so he was still at the club( it could certainly be him closest to Charlie) . Possibly John Boyd(doesn't look blonde enough)  at the back wearing a yellowy top. Unsure about the other one.

46 minutes ago, microdave said:

Red jumper is definitely Charlie. Jim Dempsey had just captained us to the title that year so he was still at the club( it could certainly be him closest to Charlie) . Possibly John Boyd(doesn't look blonde enough)  at the back wearing a yellowy top. Unsure about the other one.

Maybe Jim Marsland at the back???/

46 minutes ago, microdave said:

Was the young laddie with the yellow top/black sleeves not a forward?

I really think the club should be utilising social media a lot more.

I know a few of the guys who sit near me are in discussion with the club/board to help out with this.

Facebook instagram and twitter are literally free advertising. Taking a decent advertising poster be it for the ST offer or up coming games or the new kit launch and putting it onto all 3 of these portals would vastly increase the number of people who view and would then be maybe more enticed to come down and see the football.

You can make these advertisements look really professional without a massive amount of time and effort being put into them.

I would actually be quite interested in perhaps helping out with something like that.

Its free for the club to do surely its a no brainer really.

2 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

I know a few of the guys who sit near me are in discussion with the club/board to help out with this.

Facebook instagram and twitter are literally free advertising. Taking a decent advertising poster be it for the ST offer or up coming games or the new kit launch and putting it onto all 3 of these portals would vastly increase the number of people who view and would then be maybe more enticed to come down and see the football.

You can make these advertisements look really professional without a massive amount of time and effort being put into them.

I would actually be quite interested in perhaps helping out with something like that.

Especially effective with shares/retweets etc.

15 minutes ago, microdave said:
2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:
Was the young laddie with the yellow top/black sleeves not a forward?

Looking again, maybe it's Martin McGarvey. Our forward line that season were Charlie, Jimmy Gilmour and John McQuade.

I was thinking the dude sitting beside Ally MacLeod in the front row here.

Screenshot_20190729-173848_Samsung Internet.jpg

22 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I was thinking the dude sitting beside Ally MacLeod in the front row here.

Screenshot_20190729-173848_Samsung Internet.jpg

Paul Shields was his name I think. 

Could name just about everyone in that pic from 30 years ago. Yet don't ask me to study for a work exam!!!

1 hour ago, PWL said:

Could name just about everyone in that pic from 30 years ago. Yet don't ask me to study for a work exam!!!

ooft well remembered...was he not a loanee froom Celtic?Also  was Danny Mckelvie at the club around that time?The picture above is from 1994

20 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

My older sister was dating a Ross County fan and he took her to Sons v Ross County at Boghead (from memory Ross County won).🤦‍♂️

Haven't Ross County always won at our place?

It feels like that anyway.

2 hours ago, PWL said:

What a team! Yep, Paul Shields. I think, and this could be my memory playing tricks on me, that he used to dj in the Clyde Bar in Helensburgh too. 

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I've just retweeted the club's tweet about Saturdays game - that's another 79 people aware of it 😂

All joking aside, the club's tweet has only been retweeted 3 times.

Rather than moaning and handwringing,  why not retweet it and try and get It out to a wider audience?

Canny do any harm to try.

4 hours ago, RGD89 said:

100% agree. We should be utilising social media more. Look at getting permanent signs on the back road. ASDA, Morrisons and also at the stations. Keep the club in people thoughts it may help to improve attendance.