Sons' sorrow

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know there's a scramble to get things back and keep folk occupied because folk are bored in their houses, but honestly, football doesn't matter. How about as a solution, fans continue to donate money every month to their clubs (as they would by paying for tickets etc.) wherever they can and we pick up this football lark when it's safe to do so, whether that's in 6 months, a year or two years. It would be shite, but I'd prefer to be bored than dead.

For sure thats where im coming from and obviously the gravity of the situation outweighs any football fancy but as you say the cabin fever is a killer.I've been self-isolating since before the lockdown came into play so any football argument however frivolous is welcome relief.

12 minutes ago, George Parr said:

It’s a fair question to which I’ve got no good answers. From our club’s perspective my sense is we’ll want to stumble through to contract expiry time and then release all the playing staff and management (I think Ross Forbes is on a 2 year so might be the exception?).

All clubs will be looking to do that as that is the major expense.But with no income other than handouts the future is bleak.As i see it, its a catch 22 situation.The club need  our support to survive but fans too are affected.My own income has been reduced by over 30 %( so far) which then makes supporting the club effectively more difficult.The fallout of the lockdown hasnt hit yet but it will be severe when it does.People as much as businesses will risk going  bankrupt.

So no solutions then?

11 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/ice-hockey/52223802                         https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52219587

I would be seriously pissed if this season isnt completed.No excuse the games could be played in a month.Even though there is nothing reall yat stake for us.

I can see a 3 tier league being set up to avoid relegation issues .If thats the case then we would be in a new division 1 /championship.We would have 3 groups of 14...39 games a season .Actually i would prefer that to the season being stopped short.

They wont go for that. 3 league old firm games a season? Not going to happen.

14 teams only works if you play 26 games before a split (1 home, 1 away) and then 12 games after a split (7 teams each split playing their split rivals 1 home, 1 away). That gives TV 4 league old firm games a season.

The big problem with that is that in a close league, you're effectively eliminating teams from a promotion/relegation battle after 26 games. 8th might only be a few points of 3rd or 4th but they'd be excluded from the promotion race and potentially drawn only into a relegation battle. 14 teams doesnt work for anybody other than the old firm and TV. Those 2 would probably vote for it and Hearts and Dundee United might as it avoids relegation/lack of promotion. For everybody else it's an absolute shanner.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I know there's a scramble to get things back and keep folk occupied because folk are bored in their houses, but honestly, football doesn't matter. How about as a solution, fans continue to donate money every month to their clubs (as they would by paying for tickets etc.) wherever they can and we pick up this football lark when it's safe to do so, whether that's in 6 months, a year or two years. It would be shite, but I'd prefer to be bored than dead.

I agree with all your comments. 

A fear I have, and I imagine is shared by a number of fellow Sons, is the unique Catch42 our club set up puts us in. 
I, like so many others have donated what I can to help keep the club afloat but if football is not to return for many months then the club may go to the wall and all our hard earned, and well meaning financial support runs the real risk of being gobbled up by creditors. 
I know it’s a complicated set up down there, so any better informed comments are welcome. 
Take good care everyone 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Jumbo Muir said:

I agree with all your comments. 

A fear I have, and I imagine is shared by a number of fellow Sons, is the unique Catch42 our club set up puts us in. 
I, like so many others have donated what I can to help keep the club afloat but if football is not to return for many months then the club may go to the wall and all our hard earned, and well meaning financial support runs the real risk of being gobbled up by creditors. 
I know it’s a complicated set up down there, so any better informed comments are welcome. 
Take good care everyone 👍🏻

I sincerely hope we don't go to the wall, we need to pay a lot of players and staff until the end of June, from that point on you'd have Ross Forbes and the ground staff and probably our receptionist still needing paid. It's not going to be easy but I'm hopeful enough of us care about the club to see it survive.

As for creditors, I'm not sure who's owed what. Neil Rankine would take the land in the car park if we went down the tubes I think but I have no idea what it means for anything else.

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Folk using this for other clubs...

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonateATicket

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52227551

This is the real reason the season will finish now.All about finance.Basically if this season resumes in August the new SKY deal will be put in jeopardy.Its worth £125 m which far outweighs anything gone before.The correct thing to do is to play to a finish as Tom English writes but is ultimately negative in the long run.

Fans need closure to this season.I would love the remaining games to go to penalty shootouts.5 kicks each win lose or draw.It would get round the social distancing obstacle.No physical contact.They could play all the games per league in 1 day that way.I really need to get out more..oh wait a minute.......

14 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

The correct thing to do is to play to a finish as Tom English writes but is ultimately negative in the long run.

It's impossible. Playing to a finish would cut down the number of home games youd be getting next season, as it would need to be shortened.

No idea how that's helpful

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's impossible. Playing to a finish would cut down the number of home games youd be getting next season, as it would need to be shortened.

No idea how that's helpful

One idea mooted for the PL is playing 33 games and no split.Either way its going to be a mess and there will be more losers than winners.

15 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

One idea mooted for the PL is playing 33 games and no split

Not sure why that would make any difference?

The top flight is only being talked about as being extended to placate UEFA who are demanding every league attend a meeting on the 23rd before they end their leagues.

If the vote is approved, the top flight will end on a points per game system, same as the rest, regardless of anything else.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure why that would make any difference?

The top flight is only being talked about as being extended to placate UEFA who are demanding every league attend a meeting on the 23rd before they end their leagues.

If the vote is approved, the top flight will end on a points per game system, same as the rest, regardless of anything else.

I was referring to next season...

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

They cant as the TV deal requires 4 OF games.

Thats true but im guessing the rules will be bent somehow given the situation.The big thing is EURO 2021 and all leagues being finished by then.Im sure some tweaking will be done.

However i do think this might be the opportunity to bring in summer football.Another can of worms....

13 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Thats true but im guessing the rules will be bent somehow given the situation.The big thing is EURO 2021 and all leagues being finished by then.Im sure some tweaking will be done.

However i do think this might be the opportunity to bring in summer football.Another can of worms....

Summer football in 2021 would have to run Jan-Dec

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Might be the case if as George Parr states no more football in 2020.

I sincerel hope that doesnt happen.

I dont see how many smaller clubs could survive from now until January without regular home matches.

Is Jim Duffys, bizarre, views that you can play all the remaining league games next month representative of what your club will actually vote? Or just his own opinion?

I dont see how many smaller clubs could survive from now until January without regular home matches.

Obviously there will be no income but at the same time unless they have debt and interest to pay there will be little in the way of expenditure for smaller clubs . Maintaining the ground will be the main thing. Hopefully it won’t be so bad financially as is being predicted