Sons' sorrow

Chris Smith is a policeman too, so I think Denny may have had to stop football during police training, that used to be a residential thing over a number of months.

Apologies if I have missed something completely... but when did Danny retire? Still listed on the website in the squad and things.
I may have missed this to be fair, there hasn't been too much to shout about with the football so I haven't been spending all that much time on here recently.
Screenshot_20210213-075347_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6b9a9a96f15e8ba384c159285af4543b.jpg

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was about doing as much as they could to keep infection rates down. Full time clubs can control their environment as players should only be at training/matches/home, and all but those at home are with people getting tested 2/3 times a week (I understand there's been breaches, but I think there's only been 3 instances when players have mingled with the public during them? Aberdeen/Celtic/Rangers, technically part time clubs have breached the same guidelines every week by not testing players multiple times + allowing them to mingle with the public...).

This paragraph is just utter made up gubbins. 😄

Yes, the justification for full timers is there will be far less contact with the public in general and that's a reasonable enough conclusion but there's absolutely no rule preventing full time players from "mingling with the public". You've completely made that up. Full time players can go to the supermarket the same as everyone else. They were perfectly entitled to visit restaurants and pubs when they were open. They aren't in any "bubble" except when on duty with their club at a match or training. The Aberdeen players were charged at the time for breaching the regulations about the number of people who could go out together, not for "mingling with the public".

And I've no idea what the line about "at home with people getting tested 2/3 times a week" even means?  No footballers are having their families tested unless their family members are coincidentally in some other testing regime (NHS).

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

:lol: f**k off.

Clubs were told if they didn't play they'd lose their spot in the league. Mothballing the season was never put on the table as a realistic option and your 20/20 hindsight here in saying we should've just played 18 games is laughable - there was absolutely no calls for that last summer or last October before we got going.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's literally what the clubs were told :lol:

You don't have a scooby what you're talking about so it's best you stop digging this hole.

I can't speak for the League 1 and 2 meetings but I guarantee you both an 18 game season and mothballing the whole thing were on the table for the Championship so I'd be astonished if they weren't for the lower divisions. The options had very little support but they were there and at least one club supported them rather than a 27 game season. Just because nobody was publicly shouting it in the papers doesn't mean there were absolutely no calls for it. And nobody was told they would lose their spot in the League for not playing though I think it was accepted that if the majority were in favour of playing then anyone who said they couldn't would have to join in or someone would be invited from the division below to replace them. I accept that makes unilateral decisions not to play pretty much impossible.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And I've no idea what the line about "at home with people getting tested 2/3 times a week"?  No footballers are having their families tested unless their family members are coincidentally in some other testing regime (NHS).

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. You should probably learn to read before charging in m8 as I made it clear full time footballers were only beside people who are being tested apart from when they're at home.

Full time footballers will mingle with the public in the passing, yes, that's clearly different from folk working 9-5 beside the untested general public though. I never once mentioned any "bubble", it's simply a case of full time players being able to have minimal contact with people who aren't tested while the majority of part time players won't be able to do so.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. You should probably learn to read before charging in m8 as I made it clear full time footballers were only beside people who are being tested apart from when they're at home.

Full time footballers will mingle with the public in the passing, yes, that's clearly different from folk working 9-5 beside the untested general public though. I never once mentioned any "bubble", it's simply a case of full time players being able to have minimal contact with people who aren't tested while the majority of part time players won't be able to do so.

It wasn't remotely clear what you were saying. I'd suggest the issue is with your choice of words and phrase rather than my reading but we'll let that pass since I now understand what you are saying is in fact not wrong, it's just meaningless. It's a lot of needless flannel around the point that the difference is part-timers generally have other jobs with greater public interaction. Which could have been said in one sentence.

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It wasn't remotely clear what you were saying. I'd suggest the issue is with your choice of words and phrase rather than my reading but we'll let that pass since I now understand what you are saying is in fact not wrong, it's just meaningless. It's a lot of needless flannel around the point that the difference is part-timers generally have other jobs with greater public interaction. Which could have been said in one sentence.

It's not "flannel", it's the whole reason full time clubs can continue and part time clubs can't, and ergo why the two divisions with the majority of full time clubs can continue, and the opposite can't.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And nobody was told they would lose their spot in the League for not playing though I think it was accepted that if the majority were in favour of playing then anyone who said they couldn't would have to join in or someone would be invited from the division below to replace them.

If you're replaced by someone else you are losing your spot in the league. 

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well yes, obviously.

That's the choice clubs had. Play but if you don't you face relegation to who knows what division. You had Falkirk, Partick, Airdrie and Queens Park who would all be looking to play and vultures like Kelty, East Kilbride and probably a lot more rubbing their hands at the prospect of some back door progress. Random Guy making it out as if clubs simply should've just mothballed doesn't take into account the consequences of doing that at the time. It was suicide.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's the choice clubs had. Play but if you don't you face relegation to who knows what division. You had Falkirk, Partick, Airdrie and Queens Park who would all be looking to play and vultures like Kelty, East Kilbride and probably a lot more rubbing their hands at the prospect of some back door progress. Random Guy making it out as if clubs simply should've just mothballed doesn't take into account the consequences of doing that at the time. It was suicide.

I think you missed my point. I already agreed that individually any club who felt unable to play was between a rock and a hard place (although it is unclear if they'd actually have invited clubs from outwith the league to replace members).

If the clubs had collectively had a majority in favour of mothballing though I'm sure that would have happened without being thrown out of anything. That's certainly my understanding from what was put in front of the Championship clubs and I don't see why it would have been any different at a lower level.

On 12/02/2021 at 10:55, Sergeant Wilson said:

Thousands of pounds of improvements...boom, boom!

I was there. The game was held up for some time. It was well before mobile phones. I had to leave the ground to tell my wife the game would not be ending for some time. (They did let me back in.)

Free season tickets for U16s next season.

That is an outstanding thing to be launching, especially given there will likely be a bit of a buzz to get out the house to live football whenever we're allowed. Hopefully we see a decent uptake. I had a lot of pals at school who became Partick Thistle fans when they did this sort of thing, so hopefully that's replicated locally.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4763

Free season tickets for U16s next season.
That is an outstanding thing to be launching, especially given there will likely be a bit of a buzz to get out the house to live football whenever we're allowed. Hopefully we see a decent uptake. I had a lot of pals at school who became Partick Thistle fans when they did this sort of thing, so hopefully that's replicated locally.
https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4763
That's definitely fantastic news. Now the challenge becomes, making sure people know about it.

It's all well and good posting that on our website, but word needs spread throughout the local schools, sports and leisure facilities.

Not being critical at all here, we just need to make sure it's done right.

The club have definitely been better in recent times with social media interaction etc so hopefully they will be on the ball with this.

Terrific news, a great initiative from the club. Hopefully we get the word round all the local boys clubs and we get a good response. Good news for the Young Sons too, hopefully that keeps them coming back for a few more years yet. 

It does beg the question for me though - do we not need that money?

Just now, The Moonster said:

Terrific news, a great initiative from the club. Hopefully we get the word round all the local boys clubs and we get a good response. Good news for the Young Sons too, hopefully that keeps them coming back for a few more years yet. 

It does beg the question for me though - do we not need that money?

The partnership with DU could be absolutely gold here in that regard. Especially if we can tighten it up a bit; maybe with players taking sessions for them and the like every so often. 

I'd like to see every parent or grandparent with a season ticket apply for a child one for their kid/grandkid. Even if they don't come to every game, it would look great having the stand fuller and hear kids making an atmosphere. If the kids enjoy it then they talk with their friends. If they enjoy it then they become the next generation of Sons fans. Hopefully this will get the uptake that it deserves and that we'll start sowing the seeds of the next generation who'll follow the club.

Edited by BallochSonsFan