Sons' sorrow

25 minutes ago, Dylangt7 said:

hhgggttjhjjj.....sorry nearly chocked on all the words put in my mouth there :  )   Change the clubs name to Clydebank?

Here's where I draw the line

----------------------------------

('d prefer your proposed merged club to be called Kilpatrick - half way between the 2 and I used to play for them ) 

I agree there's a line.

Clubs parachuting into a pyramid structure - No

Clubs paying for the use of another clubs facilities - Yes   

I'm interested in the logic that some DFC fans would stop going if we received money from the either of the OF? Is it the same 12 in this scenario or would it be 12 different season ticket holders depending on which particular flavour of OF it is? as i'm pretty sure if your a DFC season ticket holder you've moved on from that way of thinking.

assuming its the same 12 would it make a difference if it was Partick Thistle colts  instead? 

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, was just wondering if money was the bottom line on all issues for you :)

I think you're missing the point a bit about the money/colts. It's not about accepting or not accepting the blue or green pound (or any other coloured pound for that matter). The competition is contested by a number of clubs who in general have the aim of winning that competition and progressing to the next level. The minute you add a team that can't progress to the next level to that competition, it ceases to be a competition. It becomes exhibition matches which are there for the development of players of a select few clubs, not for the benefit of all clubs, nor for the entertainment of fans. If colt sides from Rangers/Celtic/Partick Thistle/Dumbarton or any other club were voted into the league system it would be the end for me and many others - I think you'd find a lot more than 12 walking away. 

Handing over the integrity of your competition for money is utterly shameful in any case, doing it for the sake of £3K each is beyond laughable. Genuinely hope the Lowland League goes bust. 

4 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

See the players are under contract until 10th june.It may buy us a wee bit of time but most of these guys will be off at the slightest sign of an offer.

We need to move fast  whatever transpires.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4908

That's when the transfer window opens, which is why our contracts run to that date now. Our players have been free to agree deals for the last 6 months though and a few of them definitely have offers from others. McGeever has an offer from Darvel & Neill from Clyde. 

If they all go then so be it - I don't hold any ill-will towards any of them and they can go with our thanks. Ideally we get a manager in place for the 4th of June, gives him/her a full week before the window opens to try and speak with the current squad and decide what he/she wants to do. 

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That's when the transfer window opens, which is why our contracts run to that date now. Our players have been free to agree deals for the last 6 months though and a few of them definitely have offers from others. McGeever has an offer from Darvel & Neill from Clyde. 

If they all go then so be it - I don't hold any ill-will towards any of them and they can go with our thanks. Ideally we get a manager in place for the 4th of June, gives him/her a full week before the window opens to try and speak with the current squad and decide what he/she wants to do. 

Two of the squad I would maybe like to keep.I think our defence is decent and might be a good base to build a team from.

Then again , someone coming in may have a host of contacts and we do much better than them.Clearly the budget we get is what will decide what will happen next.Would be nice to hear from the owners.....

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

Two of the squad I would maybe like to keep.I think our defence is decent and might be a good base to build a team from.

Then again , someone coming in may have a host of contacts and we do much better than them.Clearly the budget we get is what will decide what will happen next.Would be nice to hear from the owners.....

Our defence was good playing Duffyball where we were compact, defensive and generally had plenty of bodies behind the ball. It may be that McGeever and Neill get exposed playing in a team that is a bit more open/attack minded. And we all know that neither of them are great at playing the ball out of defence. I'd keep them as I feel they've both given us absolutely everything and are solid guys to have around the club, but if a new manager decided on a different direction I wouldn't be heart broken. I reckon the money on offer at Darvel will be a lot more than we can offer McGeever. 

Owners need to step out of the shadows soon, agreed. 

39 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Our defence was good playing Duffyball where we were compact, defensive and generally had plenty of bodies behind the ball. It may be that McGeever and Neill get exposed playing in a team that is a bit more open/attack minded. And we all know that neither of them are great at playing the ball out of defence. I'd keep them as I feel they've both given us absolutely everything and are solid guys to have around the club, but if a new manager decided on a different direction I wouldn't be heart broken. I reckon the money on offer at Darvel will be a lot more than we can offer McGeever. 

Owners need to step out of the shadows soon, agreed. 

Hate (Jealous of) the money these teams can afford to give players.  They signed Craig Moore from Ayr the other day, wild.

1 hour ago, Thommo90 said:

Hate (Jealous of) the money these teams can afford to give players.  They signed Craig Moore from Ayr the other day, wild.

I find it funny mainly, if they want to throw full time wages at folk to play in regional leagues, batter in.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I find it funny mainly, if they want to throw full time wages at folk to play in regional leagues, batter in.

Funny until it starts getting them into the leagues and putting teams like us into the lowland league!

2 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Funny until it starts getting them into the leagues and putting teams like us into the lowland league!

Alot of these teams will go tits up like Gretna. They need to be sustainable

On an unrelated note, I wonder what the prospects/logistics of Dumbarton opening up the function suite or carpark as a euro fanzone and charging a few quid for tickets? Get a tent and a big screen in?

Edited by the snudge

3 minutes ago, the snudge said:

On an unrelated note, I wonder what the prospects/logistics of Dumbarton opening up the function suite or carpark as a euro fanzone and charging a few quid for tickets? Get a tent and a big screen in?

I'd imagine they'd need some level of council approval, which puts in the less likely category, if WDC live up to form.

44 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Alot of these teams will go tits up like Gretna. They need to be sustainable

Believe we don't have a licence to sell drink outside. No reason we couldnt sell tickets for an event in the bar though. 

Why would people want to watch from the supporters bar over going to a pub though? Serious question, not trying to be negative.

Pubs have better drink selection and better prices.

What's the enticement?

What can we do better than a pub to attract punters?

32 minutes ago, super-son said:

Why would people want to watch from the supporters bar over going to a pub though? Serious question, not trying to be negative.

What's the enticement?

Is the supporters bar more expensive than a pub? The prices seem pretty bog standard to me apart from maybe a Weatherspoons that wouldn’t be showing the fitba anyway. Naturally the drink selection might not be as good but the last time I was in the supporters bar they a decent selection of ales from the local brewery and all the other basics. They could also chuck on some half time pies etc.

Not to mention it would appeal to a lot of folk who don’t want to sit in the pub surrounded by steaming rowdy arseholes, particularly the older supporters. With pubs operating a table booking system and capacity massively reduced you could find there would be demand for something like this, especially with folk having spent the last year odd cooked up in the hoose.

Is the supporters bar more expensive than a pub? The prices seem pretty bog standard to me apart from maybe a Weatherspoons that wouldn’t be showing the fitba anyway. Naturally the drink selection might not be as good but the last time I was in the supporters bar they a decent selection of ales from the local brewery and all the other basics. They could also chuck on some half time pies etc.
Not to mention it would appeal to a lot of folk who don’t want to sit in the pub surrounded by steaming rowdy arseholes, particularly the older supporters. With pubs operating a table booking system and capacity massively reduced you could find there would be demand for something like this, especially with folk having spent the last year odd cooked up in the hoose.
I wasn't saying the prices were particularly bad, but just pointing out that it's not something that entice you there instead of the pub.

I did think about the food option like you mention which isn't a bad idea.

I'm not sure what restrictions there will be when the euro games are on. Will you be unable to get into places due to capacity, Will there be that much of a demand to watch the games that it will be a problem? I'm not so sure.

7 hours ago, super-son said:

What's the enticement?

Try and book a pub for the Euros matches, it's a fucking nightmare. Anyway, it's not about enticing Joe Public down to watch particularly, give Dumbarton fans the chance to put money towards the club, let them enjoy the Scotland games, and if you were a smart set of new owners you could use it as an opportunity to speak to your fans on a personal level and to integrate yourself in the community.