Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I must have missed this. Did Farrell say that in his interview or something? I couldny be arsed watching that.

Yep, said someone from England would be announced “tomorrow”, which I think would’ve been yesterday. Was just waiting on Antonia completing the paperwork.

Guess it’s maybe international clearance or they’ve been reading P&B too.

Edited by FifeSons

If the Chairman really is a Dumbarton man, then why did he let Farrell sign someone on an 18 month contract? 

Surely the manager’s position is under serious question just now. Why are we letting him dish out deals for next season?

The board seem totally passive. John Steele had his faults, but at least he made some kind of an attempt to engage with the fans.

We’re on a slow, steady path to going under and I refuse to see it happen in my lifetime, but I’m not really sure what we can do.

The club needs to be fan owned IMO, but we don’t have a big enough fan base. 1,000 fans each putting £1k in could do it, in theory, but we’ve no chance of that. Maybe something more realistic is to start by buying part of the club from the Norwegians?

Edited by FifeSons

Quick question for Sons fans - do you know who Neil McKay is? 

I've met him once in a fan/board meeting when we were setting up certain fundraisers. But the other day it got me thinking that I've never seen him outisde the board room and other Sons fans probably don't even know what he looks like. As FifeSons says, a silent hider is not what fans need. 

I see the Trust will have replies from him published after a meeting planned in due course. I guess we'll see then just how deluded or based in reality he is. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Quick question for Sons fans - do you know who Neil McKay is? 

I've met him once in a fan/board meeting when we were setting up certain fundraisers. But the other day it got me thinking that I've never seen him outisde the board room and other Sons fans probably don't even know what he looks like. As FifeSons says, a silent hider is not what fans need. 

I see the Trust will have replies from him published after a meeting planned in due course. I guess we'll see then just how deluded or based in reality he is. 

He was my GP when he was still practicing as a GP in the Bank St practice. He's a really decent bloke. Doesnt mean he's right for the role as chairman, but as a person he's a good guy.

39 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

He was my GP when he was still practicing as a GP in the Bank St practice. He's a really decent bloke. Doesnt mean he's right for the role as chairman, but as a person he's a good guy.

Aye, I don' t mean to call into question his personality, just his suitability as our current chairman. 

I see the SPFL has confirmed that 5 subs are now allowed in the Premiership and League 2 and they are in consultation with Championship and League 1 clubs about it. 

Given our serious lack of depth I really fear that a 5 subs rule puts us at a disadvantage. Looking at the other squads in the league the only squad on a par with ours is probably East Fife. Most of the time I look at our bench and can only really pick out 1 or 2 players who I think could come on and have an impact in games.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Kieran Wright joins on loan from Rangers. Was previously in League One with Thistle, also on loan.

Is he coming in as a replacement for Ramsbottom?

Surely we didn't sign him to sit on the bench when we have someone already doing that?

Fair play to Faz for recognising how much Ramsbottom is actually costing us. I wonder if he regrets rushing into signing him in the summer when there would have probably been plenty of much better options.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see the SPFL has confirmed that 5 subs are now allowed in the Premiership and League 2 and they are in consultation with Championship and League 1 clubs about it. 

Given our serious lack of depth I really fear that a 5 subs rule puts us at a disadvantage. Looking at the other squads in the league the only squad on a par with ours is probably East Fife. Most of the time I look at our bench and can only really pick out 1 or 2 players who I think could come on and have an impact in games.

Five subs is just stupid if you ask me. Why?

12 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Is he coming in as a replacement for Ramsbottom?

I doubt he's coming in on loan to replace O'Neill on the bench. I was amazed we didn't make efforts to replace him in the summer but at least Faz appears to have learned his lesson. Wright should be head and shoulders above anyone we've had since Alan Martin. Centre back and striker now please. 

16 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Surely we didn't sign him to sit on the bench when we have someone already doing that?

Fair play to Faz for recognising how much Ramsbottom is actually costing us. I wonder if he regrets rushing into signing him in the summer when there would have probably been plenty of much better options.

Your manager isn't the only one who might be regretting their judgment in the sunmer about signing that obvious fucking clownshoe: 

On 12/06/2021 at 12:09, the snudge said:

I'm really happy about that. Ramsbottom bounced back well from THAT error. He's very organised and vocal, good shot stopper and with capable forwards can turn defence into attack very quickly with his long kick outs. 

This has been immense from Farrell and the club. It really changes the mood when we're proactive in transfers. The social media folk have done well so kudos to them too. 

Really looking forward to this season. 

On 12/06/2021 at 12:20, GordyBrow said:

I’m really pleased with this squad building. I think we’re a top class striker and maybe another winger / wide midfielder away from having a pretty good starting eleven on paper. It’s night and day from Duffy’s recruitment.

On 12/06/2021 at 13:53, sonsism said:

3 really positive signings today.  This is wonderful stuff.  We could be looking at not only a quality squad but one with some real depth compared to the last few seasons.  As has been said it’s night and day compared to last seasons recruitment.  

Fun fact: the other two top class signings were Gregor Buchanan and Kalvin Orsi.

image.gif.72940c8e2eeaf5c51fe3609ad6bffa78.gif

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I doubt he's coming in on loan to replace O'Neill on the bench. I was amazed we didn't make efforts to replace him in the summer but at least Faz appears to have learned his lesson. Wright should be head and shoulders above anyone we've had since Alan Martin. Centre back and striker now please. 

If he's half as good as Kevin Dabrowski then we'd be onto a winner.

On 12/06/2021 at 17:54, virginton said:

I understand the optimism of a new regime and a new approach, but a lot of what you describe is based on optics and not hard evidence. In what way for example is Kalvin Orsi "proven at this level"? If he'd joined you on loan in February then you'd all have been complaining about Duffy's limited and unambitious signing policy. 

The results will be seen on the pitch, but I fail to see how assembling a group of players who either played for you ages ago or are from the exact same pool as you've been taking from for years counts as a night and day change in policy - other than assembling that squad quickly rather than the second week in August which was your previous manager's speciality. 

^^^ award-winning, fact-based analysis

greggy.png.f5fc42fb214fc88c1833fad45fb31781.png

On 12/06/2021 at 19:10, sarti pooh said:

Faz is signing winners and Duffy primarily signed guys taking their first steps in senior football.

That's the clear difference I'm seeing and I think that is something we really missed last season.

Guys that have been there and done it.

On 13/06/2021 at 01:33, virginton said:

Well no, the likes of Kalvín Orsi, Sam Ramsbottom and Joe McKee are not even remotely winners but in fact losers, as their moribund, Coldplay-themed CVs bear out. 

Orsi and Ramsbottom are signings straight out of the Jim Duffy Dumbarton textbook, yet their value is now hilariously inflated because it's a different person in the dugout getting them to sign the contract this time round.

^^^ kenned the score

On 13/06/2021 at 08:16, the snudge said:

Ramsbottom was the biggest positive from Duffys signings last season. Some of the stops he pulled out the bag were great. One against Peterhead and a couple against Aberdeen spring to mind. Even Rabin Omar was okay, despite Mortin fans protestations. 

^^^ turned into total duds as predicted

On 13/06/2021 at 11:05, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The difference being that Stevie Farrell has made good signings elsewhere where as Duffy would have filled the squad with absolute dung from the exit trials. Orsi and Ramsbottom would be fucking marquee signings under Duffy. Complimenting the squad with a couple of guys who couldn’t make the grade at Morton is completely fine, when it becomes quite literally your only tactic then there’s issues.

Whether you rate the players we are signing or not, we have been starved of a manager approaching a transfer window with a clear, concise plan and executing said plan swiftly for 2 and a half years. Naturally fans will be excited. I’m pretty excited myself. We aren’t signing world beaters but it’s a hell of a lot better than what we’ve been subjected to in recent years.

Not so much. 

You should just run all your transfer policy past the big, bad Morton fanbase in the future, to save you from this obvious waste of resources. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Your manager isn't the only one who might be regretting their judgment in the sunmer about signing that obvious fucking clownshoe: 

Fun fact: the other two top class signings were Gregor Buchanan and Kalvin Orsi.

image.gif.72940c8e2eeaf5c51fe3609ad6bffa78.gif

virginton for the past 6 or so months thinking about when to quote these posts:

man keyboard GIF by South Park