Sons' sorrow

Just now, DobbiesAgent said:

Lol 😂 it’s an opinion you don’t need to read them 

Haha just a wee joke 😉  I’m drowning my sorrows in a London Wetherspoon that does £3 Guinness and finding myself very funny 😂

4 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Haha just a wee joke 😉  I’m drowning my sorrows in a London Wetherspoon that does £3 Guinness and finding myself very funny 😂

I can get on board with £3 Guinness however it’s is always nicer in Ireland 

1 minute ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I can get on board with £3 Guinness however it’s is always nicer in Ireland 

That is true.

As an aside, is tonight’s result one of the most embarrassing in the club’s history?

I really think it could be. Definite McLeish’s Scotland in Kazakhstan vibes.

That is true.
As an aside, is tonight’s result one of the most embarrassing in the club’s history?
Bonnyrigg was far worse. A Championship club losing at home to a junior club was our absolute worst. Edinburgh City are only five places below us the league system.

Just now, microdave said:
4 minutes ago, FifeSons said:
That is true.

Bonnyrigg was far worse. A Championship club losing at home to a junior club was our absolute worst. Edinburgh City are only five places below us the league system.

Hmm true, though I’d caveat that by saying tonight’s game was much more important.

Losing at home to the Angus Sevco 5-0 in the early 2000s was a bad one too, in my lifetime.

I’ve never felt as sick as I did when Alloa scored to relegate us from the championship. That was proper gut wrenching 

16 minutes ago, DobbiesAgent said:

I’ve never felt as sick as I did when Alloa scored to relegate us from the championship. That was proper gut wrenching 

I think that’s the worst moment I’ve felt as a Dumbarton fan.

However, give me a guarantee that Dumbarton Football Club are always around and I don’t care what league we play in. As long as the club, in its current form, exists, I’ll watch us at any level.

15 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Our shady owners will be drooling over this latest shitfest tonight.

Combined with the numerous “I’m not buying a season ticket’ posts, they’ll be speed dialling Dumbarton’s least favourite Cambridge graduate.

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Combined with the numerous “I’m not buying a season ticket’ posts, they’ll be speed dialling Dumbarton’s least favourite Cambridge graduate.

Mate you were wishing harm on the guy last night so you can get off your high horse about folk not renewing season tickets.

By the sounds of it you haven't been to a game in a while due to your location and if that is the case let me tell you it's not the cheapest day out going to the football.

If fans have homes, bills, holidays, weddings etc to pay for and don't want to spend their hard earned money on an expense that doesn't feel worth it anymore that's up to them and shouldn't be made to feel bad about it by someone that doesn't go to the matches.

It's up to the club to convince us otherwise.

12 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m actually a bit concerned about McGeevers injury status. He’s missed a full season and I’m still not sure any of us know what the actual diagnosis is or when he’s due back? Is he training yet? Doing light running? God knows but any injury that keeps you out for that long can’t be a good thing. Have the club ever given us a proper update regarding him?

He was in attendance last night, standing behind the goal and growing increasingly distressed and animated throughout at the prospect of playing in League 2 next season. 

Edited by George Parr

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Tbf I’d rather be Dumbarton in League 2 than Montrose in any other league.

To be fair I'd rather be anything else but a fifer! Enjoy league 2

Talk of not buying season tickets is understandable. Money is tight with bills increasing and fans aren't happy. Its not a course of action I'd recommend - ultimately it hurts the club and gives Henning Kristoffersen and Andy Hosie a funny feeling downstairs about the prospect of them being able to screw us over. That's all it really achieves. We do need change in the dugout over the summer, but that will only happen if we have change in the boardroom. I'm not suggesting that the chairman needs to go, but he certainly needs to wake up to whats happening around him and start to engage far more with the fans and the reality of whats facing us. The best thing that fans can do? Support the Sons Trust and start demanding better from the club board. We need  far better from those running the club because our impending relegation is only one aspect of a far bigger and more serious picture.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Talk of not buying season tickets is understandable. Money is tight with bills increasing and fans aren't happy. Its not a course of action I'd recommend - ultimately it hurts the club and gives Henning Kristoffersen and Andy Hosie a funny feeling downstairs about the prospect of them being able to screw us over. That's all it really achieves. We do need change in the dugout over the summer, but that will only happen if we have change in the boardroom. I'm not suggesting that the chairman needs to go, but he certainly needs to wake up to whats happening around him and start to engage far more with the fans and the reality of whats facing us. The best thing that fans can do? Support the Sons Trust and start demanding better from the club board. We need  far better from those running the club because our impending relegation is only one aspect of a far bigger and more serious picture.

If that’s the case though fans deserve better from the fan representative on the board as well. 

as I said previously she should be more concerned about the current fan unrest as opposed to the flavour of the cocktail cans we are serving on matchdays behind the bar. 

it’s a joke 

I feel the board should walk along with the manager but that then leaves us with a criminal and his Norwegian puppet choosing who does the job next. We are walking out of existence here IMO. But there has just been too much shit gone on this season for me to back this board. The chairman hasn't said a peep since he took over and it seems the manager will be kept on because he's good pals with the general manager (who apparently had a huge say in his appointment). We've brought "football guys" in who seemingly know f**k all about football. We chased a good local groundsman away and replaced him with the old chairmans pal who lives fucking miles away and turns up to do a bit of gardening. We've had good volunteers chased away from match day duties, culminating in several streams being a shambles and a severe drop off in our social media output (quality and quantity). But not even stuff that difficult - we had a match day mascot left in fucking reception the other week - that's how organised we are as a club. There's other stuff I've heard that I won't put on here as I can't verify it as fact but we really are a mess right now. 

As for a season ticket next year, I'd perhaps have considered making the funds available had there been any sort of engagement or direction from this board but the only board member who has put themselves in front of fans was the Trust rep at an AGM she had to attend, and even then we got no inside information as to where the club is headed. If they don't know then they ain't having my money, and with my first kid on the way this summer I'll find other ways to enjoy my Saturdays. 

150 years, reduced to this puddle of shite. 

The magnitude of this result cannot be underestimated, and unless there is an unexpected turnaround on Saturday the club will be relegated.  Normally their would then be a regrouping and a reasonable expectation that there would be an immediate tilt at promotion.

Having been quite close to things in recent years I don't expect that.  In fact as things stand I fear that DFC could easily now enter freefall.  There is no need to go into any detail as the perfect storm of negative factors has already been laid out at length on here.  

Apart from the dire disappointment of last night's scoreline it is a dreadful start to the club's 150th anniversary year, never mind probably extinguishing the enthusiasm of the first youngsters we have had in the support for years.

Should Saturday pan out as expected I really hope that the club's owners and Board have the decency to stop ignoring their public by issuing a comprehensive statement clarifying both where Dumbarton FC is now headed and what is the situation with the team management.

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Don’t go to any bother, Jan. it’s all white noise at this point.

I don’t envy you having to talk up us being able to make a game of it for Saturday on the commentary! 

In all seriousness though, the streams have been fantastic for me being down here. I’ll really miss them when they’re gone (as poor as we’ve been since they began under Duffy). 

Maybe I’ll just get a job in Glasgow and move up so I can see us every week. While we still have a team to support.

Cheers!

Aye I'm going to seriously struggle for any enthusiasm on Saturday. It's going to be one of those occasions where I'd rather just be sat on my own waiting on the final whistle, so I could get home quickly, get the report out the way and move on.

I'm glad you've enjoyed them despite the results though. I've no idea what lies ahead for them - I guess it might depend on the TV blackout rule up here being reintroduced - but given I've managed to commentate on four wins in total at home this season, I'm starting to think I'm the jinx.

3 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

Mate you were wishing harm on the guy last night so you can get off your high horse about folk not renewing season tickets.

By the sounds of it you haven't been to a game in a while due to your location and if that is the case let me tell you it's not the cheapest day out going to the football.

If fans have homes, bills, holidays, weddings etc to pay for and don't want to spend their hard earned money on an expense that doesn't feel worth it anymore that's up to them and shouldn't be made to feel bad about it by someone that doesn't go to the matches.

It's up to the club to convince us otherwise.

You misunderstand me, I'm not on any high horse or having a go at people for not buying season tickets. Its completely understandable that folk are struggling just to meet the insane costs of living at the moment, and a football club that has shown total apathy towards staying in League One, hardly screams that it deserves anyone's hard-earned. I'm just pointing out that it plays into the downward spiral from the cost of relegation.