Sons' sorrow

Trying to lift the mood, apologies.

Any signing gossip?

I was only at the wind up, no need for apologies.

Other than Ryan Donnelly training with us I haven't heard much tbh. I'd expect Nish to sign soon though.

After that I'd say we need a cb, striker and goalkeeper at the very least. It doesn't sound to me like DVZ or Taggart will be much use in the centre so that only leaves us with McLaughlin and Graham.

I was only at the wind up, no need for apologies.

Other than Ryan Donnelly training with us I haven't heard much tbh. I'd expect Nish to sign soon though.

After that I'd say we need a cb, striker and goalkeeper at the very least. It doesn't sound to me like DVZ or Taggart will be much use in the centre so that only leaves us with McLaughlin and Graham.

And Coleman.

Very true, forgot about young Coleman.

Hopefully he's raring to go but wouldn't be against him getttin some game time on loan in League 1 or League 2.

I hope Murray gives the young boys a chance this year, something he's not been keen to do in the past.

He'll probably give Ally, Joe and Josh games at pre-season and see if he thinks they're ready to go. Agree though, it's likely they'll go out on loan to a League 1/2 team. Drove by Joe the other day, absolute unit these days.

My guess is that anyone that knows them better wouldn't betray their confidence.

Fair enough...I was just really surprised at the positive spin Alan Findlay appeared to he putting on it.

The Trust guys have undoubtedly done a massive job in recent years BUT I don't think it's right that we give them all the credit when things go well, but absolve them of any blame whatsoever when things go wrong. That appears to be the underlying theme here, i.e. it's all Gilbert Lawrie and Alan Jardine's fault.

I've personally had issues with these two in the past, and both could benefit from a course in customer relations, but I don't doubt their commitment to DFC.

Likewise, Alan & Simon give a lot of their time to the club and we should thank them for that. However, I had a discussion with Alan a few years back when he was being particularly critical of the then board. I told him then that if the Sons Trust guys ever got into positions of power it would be inevitable that they would eventually be perceived to have lost touch with the ordinary fan.

After the hike in Season ticket prices, combined with the debacle and climb-down on the Student Concessions, closely followed by this decision, I wonder if they're realising how difficult it is trying to please all the people all of the time.

Edited by mike rankine

Fair enough...I was just really surprised at the positive spin Alan Findlay appeared to he putting on it.

Criticising the club/board on the official site would result in a quick removal from the board, and maybe close the door for ANY trust member to sit in instead. If I was anything less than positive about my employer while representing them on their corporate sight, I'd be facing a Gross Misconduct hearing.

This is just the same, I'm not sure what else we're expecting to be said other than positivity statements.

I'm not sure what else we're expecting to be said other than positivity statements.

A NEUTRAL statement would have informed the fans without dressing it up the way it was. I 100% agree with your assertion that collective responsibility is in play here...under no circumstances would I have expected a critical post on the official site.

The Trust guys have undoubtedly done a massive job in recent years BUT I don't think it's right that we give them all the credit when things go well, but absolve them of any blame whatsoever when things go wrong. That appears to be the underlying theme here, i.e. it's all Gilbert Lawrie and Alan Jardine's fault.

I've personally had issues with these two in the past, and both could benefit from a course in customer relations, but I don't doubt their commitment to DFC.

Likewise, Alan & Simon give a lot of their time to the club and we should thank them for that. However, I had a discussion with Alan a few years back when he was being particularly critical of the then board. I told him then that if the Sons Trust guys ever got into positions of power it would be inevitable that they would eventually be perceived to have lost touch with the ordinary fan.

After the hike in Season ticket prices, combined with the debacle and climb-down on the Student Concessions, closely followed by this decision, I wonder if they're realising how difficult it is trying to please all the people all of the time.

No one here is questioning that Jardine and Gilbert are DFC fans and are committed to the club, there are some question marks being raised over their ability to keep fans informed of what's going on. Let's not forget Gilbert is taking a full-time wage from the club, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect things as simple as selling season tickets to go smoothly.

You can't please everyone all the time, you have to find a balance, which I think they do quite well. The hike in Season ticket prices has been done to death but considering we've bloody sold them out I'd suggest they got the price pretty good. I don't know the reasoning behind the removal of the Student concession but my guess is that they probably didn't sell that much of them and felt that it was a bit pointless keeping for 3-5 fans (I could be wrong there but that would seem reasonable to me), when they've received multiple emails/complaints about it I imagine they've changed it back again as there seemed to be a higher demand than anticipated. We don't know who made this decision to stop selling season tickets, if they've had a part to play in it I'm sure they'll be the first to hold their hands up.

Alan & Simon ARE ordinary fans, both of whom have sensible heads on them. At the end of the day, they can only piss with the cock they've got and I think you'd see a marked difference if they had full control of the DFC cock.

While agreeing with Mike Rankine that any club rep must take the rough with the smooth, that's OK if you are kept in the loop all the time.

I don't know if that was the case this time or not, but it happens frequently, not only with Trust reps but with other directors.

In my humble opinion this could have been great PR for the club, a great chance lost.

But ,there always is a but, remember what we are dealing with here , a CEO ON A GOOD WEDGE,who pays it, is it on the DFC accounts????

An off the shelf company who want there money back,not Mr Hosie who I believe to be a front for others.

All the rumours about moving stadium, and it doesn't matter if Gilbert and Alan are true fans or not they are only puppets for the real money men.

We are at the start of a season which will be a watershed for DFC , if they stay up again ,it will be arguably the best achievement ever in Sons long history.

If we stay up or not the 2015-16 season will be back to reasonable normality and all the trash about the season tickets will be forgotten and we will be back to crowds of 742.

As always at DFC the problem is petty snobbery, and if the board at present could access funds without having fans there ,believe me they wouldn't give a jot.

What's new I here you say but at least now with Alan ,Simon, and the rest of the trust board we have access to a lot of goings on at the club, not enough yet.

Give the Trust a bit of slack and thank them for what they do .

Imagine if they weren't there !!!!!!!

Edited by the auld son

If 600 season tickets have been sold and the home end holds 900 then surely another 100 season tickets could be offered and still leave 200 places for walk in fans. The sons cannot afford to lose fans for the future should we end up being relegated.

The important people are the fans and not the board management or players who will change over the years. Remember fans are for life and not just for Xmas. Come on Gilbert you know the right thing. Do it.

Whilst the board do deserve credit for where we are I feel it's no coincidence our recent success has coincided with the trust being more involved at board room level.

These guys work full time jobs and do all of this in their spare time. Meanwhile the big wigs pick up wages that would make your eyes water and struggle to process the sale of a few 100 season tickets. As Moonster says, if only the DFC penis could be handed over like a big meaty baton to the guys that care about us.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Meanwhile the big wigs pick up wages that would make your eyes water

What evidence, if any, do you have of this. My understanding is Gilbert Lawrie could earn much more working in his qualified profession. He is effectively 'retired' from that and does the CEO role for a relatively small sum. He's a fan, with business experience, who has time on his side to devote to his team.

Meanwhile the big wigs pick up wages that would make your eyes water

What evidence, if any, do you have of this. My understanding is Gilbert Lawrie could earn much more working in his qualified profession. He is effectively 'retired' from that and does the CEO role for a relatively small sum. He's a fan, with business experience, who has time on his side to devote to his team.

My understanding is that it's a fairly healthy wage. If you're looking for evidence I'm afraid I don't have any. Do you?

The apparent 'full time' wage makes it even more frustrating that we couldn't have a few extended evenings or a weekend for ticket sales.

FWIW is he in the stadium every day?

My understanding is that it's a fairly healthy wage. If you're looking for evidence I'm afraid I don't have any. Do you?

The apparent 'full time' wage makes it even more frustrating that we couldn't have a few extended evenings or a weekend for ticket sales.

FWIW is he in the stadium every day?

I heard via a normally impeccable source that he's on a relatively modest salary. Furthermore, Auld Son indicated earlier that there is little evidence of a sizeable CEO salary in the annual audited accounts. Although, I think Auld Son was implying that Brabco (or someone else) pays Gilbert's salary and it isn't charged directly to the club.

Your final question actually supports the argument I was making. Gilbert doesn't need to work full-time. He made his money earlier in his main career therefore working part-time for the team he has always supported suits his work-life balance. The part-time arrangement also suits the club, so it's a win-win.

Gilbert Lawrie has excellent business experience. His people skills are less developed! Unfortunately, he also fails to appreciate what it's like for a fan earning relatively little in a 'blue collar' job.

Edited by mike rankine

Gilbert Lawrie has excellent business experience. His people skills are less developed! Unfortunately, he also fails to appreciate what it's like for a fan earning relatively little in a 'blue collar' job.

aye he does, he used to live up the same close as me on Glasgow Road ;)