Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I sincerely hope the attendance is 3. Absolutely f**k the colts/B teams and anything to do with them.

I've seen pictures on Twitter of the Rangers branding up round the park, and saw a Tweet from a Sons fan that they were playing Rangers songs over the PA. Which is all fair enough I suppose, it's their home game. They are paying us to rent the park.

But B'Jesus does it make me glad to be sat in the house tonight.

I'm actually working on notes for the stream for Saturday. I've no idea if it'll be up and running or not, but fingers crossed it is by then and I won't have another set of wasted notes.

Just now, Thommo90 said:

My trusted associate informs me mcgeever is having a nightmare.  At fault for every goal and is being absolutely bullied.

To be fair, 10 months out and then thrown into a game with full-time 20 year olds can't be an easy ask. The only benefit of a game like this is getting him some minutes. 

Anyway. Hopefully we stick the young kid from the U18s, Pete, Craig and Craig's dad on at HT. 

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

To be fair, 10 months out and then thrown into a game with full-time 20 year olds can't be an easy ask. The only benefit of a game like this is getting him some minutes. 

Anyway. Hopefully we stick the young kid from the U18s, Pete, Craig and Craig's dad on at HT. 

I agree, long time out, he needs time to get going again.  

Being pedantic but its a 16 year old bullying him.

3 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

I agree, long time out, he needs time to get going again.  

Being pedantic but its a 16 year old bullying him.

Given what he does in his day job that's probably just a standard day at the office for him :lol:

A pointless game. Only thing I even remotely care about is getting through it without any injuries.

B team football annoys me. There are kids playing in that side tonight who would be viable players for Championship teams (at least). But they're playing B team football and they'll be playing Lowland League football at the weekend. The likes of Lowry has a chance of making it with Rangers. Zukowski too. Lovelace will be a very good player. Maybe even McCann. But  the rest of them? It's wasting their development when they could be having a meaningful impact at other clubs. People argue that B teams are the great white hope for Scottish football and that because they work in Spain or Holland with the likes of Jong Ajax then they'll do wonders for Scottish football. The reality is that by the time the Spanish or Dutch kids are playing B team football then they're better than Scottish kids because they've been trained to a higher standard from before they were double figures years old. Nobody flags up how woeful Dortmund II (3.Liga) or Bayern II (Regionalia) are because that doesnt fit the narrative. 

Fans hate B team football. Most B team players won't make it and are basically making up the numbers until they're too old and are released. It's a complete waste of time.

3 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

Feel for everyone that spent money to see this tonight pathetic attitude towards a game

B team opposition. Nobody should have been going tonight expecting a full strength team taking the game seriously.

I'd have far more respect for the Challenge Cup if they made it a tournament for the lower leagues, Highland, Lowland and the tier 6 top flight. Playing Connah's Quay Nomarks or Sheep Fuckers United was a nice curio and it felt great getting to a final, but I'd be far more interested in a Scottish lower league cup game against Buckie or Pollok.

The Challenge Cup is of absolutely no interest these days. Rangers reserves making it to the final this season (and they probably will) isnt a spectacle that fans even remotely care about.

5 minutes ago, kenrobell said:

Feel for everyone that spent money to see this tonight pathetic attitude towards a game

We made it fairly clear before the game we were using it as an opportunity to rotate the squad. 

That being said, as strong as that Rangers B team is, we really shouldn’t be losing 7-0 to anyone. It isn’t a great look for the guys who were brought it. I’m willing to cut someone like McGeever a bit of slack given how long he’s been out.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We made it fairly clear before the game we were using it as an opportunity to rotate the squad. 

That being said, as strong as that Rangers B team is, we really shouldn’t be losing 7-0 to anyone. It isn’t a great look for the guys who were brought it. I’m willing to cut someone like McGeever a bit of slack given how long he’s been out.

Zukowski, Lowry, Lovelace, McCann and Kelly (if it's Stephen Kelly) are all capable of playing SPFL premier league football. 7-0 isnt even remotely surprising.

The problem is that come the weekend, Kelly and Zukowski won't be able to play in the Lowland League and neither Lowry, McCann or Lovelace will develop playing lowland league. Those 3 youngsters would be tested more playing for a Championship side on loan than playing the likes of Open Goal FC or Vale of Leithen.

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Zukowski, Lowry, Lovelace, McCann and Kelly (if it's Stephen Kelly) are all capable of playing SPFL premier league football. 7-0 isnt even remotely surprising.

The problem is that come the weekend, Kelly and Zukowski won't be able to play in the Lowland League and neither Lowry, McCann or Lovelace will develop playing lowland league. Those 3 youngsters would be tested more playing for a Championship side on loan than playing the likes of Open Goal FC or Vale of Leithen.

The players you quote above are clearly better than our level but we still shouldn’t be shipping 7 to them. Rotated squad or not.