Sons' sorrow

15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I would politely suggest that if Rangers don't want their gifted young prodigies being crunched by lower league jobbers then they simply don't enter competitions that will see them directly facing lower league jobbers.

An outcome we can surely all agree on 🤝

Reveal hidden contents

Seeing the seethe directed his way on Twitter is another reason why I don't want B teams anywhere near the leagues. Folk pretending they are trying to find out where he lives, and one saying 'I don't know where his allegiances lie, but he looks like one of them'

If I was the running the Twitter account, I'd be tempted to disable comments on that one. Absolute state of some of the Sevco fans.

9 minutes ago, Super_A said:

Lowry is playing in the B team because he missed nearly all of pre-season with an injury. He needs game time.

Also Davis' new deal is likely to have zero affect of Lowry's first team game time given they don't play the same position.

Yeah, we should have stopped him playing earlier - not wishing an injury on him - but if we had actually bothered to put a tackle on him before the 85th minute it might have stopped him strolling the game so easily.

I am surprised he was still on the pitch if I'm honest, given he'd already scored the 3 and things.

Lowry is playing in the B team because he missed nearly all of pre-season with an injury. He needs game time.
Also Davis' new deal is likely to have zero affect of Lowry's first team game time given they don't play the same position.

Doesn’t matter he’s preventing young boy from being on bench

I think there's a bigger picture here that everyone is missing....

The Old Firm have long since destroyed competition at the upper end of Scottish football.  They are now embarked on performing similar in the women's game.  And thanks to the greed and idiocy of the Lowland League clubs, the efforts of their cheerleaders in the Scottish football media and complicit football authorities in permitting the entry of 'B' clubs they will almost certainly begin to throttle the league system from the lower end too.  Game, set and match.

You want the truth about Scottish football and Scottish footballers ?  You won't find it in Rangers reaching lasts season's Europa Cup Final with hardly a Scot in the ranks.  Perhaps a better guide would be Motherwell losing home and away to Sligo Rovers, Dundee United being humiliated in Alkmaar, and Hearts likely be papped out by a side bottom of the Swiss league.

But 'B' teams, aye that's the answer........

Having seen a rubbish quality video clip of the tackle, the only thing thats really clear is that Love shouldn't  be making that tackle from behind in the 89th minute of the game. He dives into the tackle. Lowry then goes into the air and looks like he lands awkwardly. It's unclear if the damage was done from Love connecting with Lowry's ankle or Lowry landing awkwardly on the ankle. Probably a bit of both. 

Ultimately thats not going to matter much. Lowry will be out injured for quite a while. Love is going to take a power of abuse and will need to be careful of nutters looking to have a go at him. Whether it was contact from the tackle or the landing after the tackle then its still one Love doesnt need to make. It's from behind, there's no prospect of him winning the ball and there would be every chance of a red card. There's absolutely no excuse for it or defending it.

Best thing he can do is to switch off social media, keep himself  away from any potential trouble and hope that Lowry makes a full and quick recovery. 

We were outclassed by every possible metric tonight and the result and competition don't matter.

However, some notes and observations: the two Wilson's are as bad as, or possibly even worse than, I feared / have been banging on about. Both utterly rotten, not just tonight, but generally, and we have zero strength in depth outside the main 14 or so players. Their wages would be better spent on any other two footballers. Come injuries, suspensions, loss of form, any other player unavailability reason, we will struggle if we're relying on players so far below the level of the rest of the squad to fill gaps in the starting line up.

McGeever may be recovered from his injury, but he's nowhere near ready to compete for a place in the team. He's months away from match sharpness.

Harry Broun was atrocious tonight. I bigged him up, rightly, after his excellent performance against Raith, but tonight he was utterly abysmal and looked like he'd never played football before. Possibly the worst goalkeeping performance I've ever seen.

Glad to see the young kid Breen get a run out off the bench for the first team.

11 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

We were outclassed by every possible metric tonight and the result and competition don't matter.

However, some notes and observations: the two Wilson's are as bad as, or possibly even worse than, I feared / have been banging on about. Both utterly rotten, not just tonight, but generally, and we have zero strength in depth outside the main 14 or so players. Their wages would be better spent on any other two footballers. Come injuries, suspensions, loss of form, any other player unavailability reason, we will struggle if we're relying on players so far below the level of the rest of the squad to fill gaps in the starting line up.

McGeever may be recovered from his injury, but he's nowhere near ready to compete for a place in the team. He's months away from match sharpness.

Harry Broun was atrocious tonight. I bigged him up, rightly, after his excellent performance against Raith, but tonight he was utterly abysmal and looked like he'd never played football before. Possibly the worst goalkeeping performance I've ever seen.

Agree with all of this. Of all the goals lost, only Lowry's 3rd actually showed any skill and even at that he just outpaced and skint a way off the pace McGeever in the lead up. But it was a quality piece of.play on the break.

How many of the finishes went through Broun? Don't think many were in the corner or out of reach at all.

Edited by squeezebox-son

15 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Thanks Pete.  As I don't do B teams I wasn't there but you have confirmed some fears I've had recently.  We've had four league wins on the bounce which is great but with a specific group of players playing in a specific pattern.  We would probably have struggled against most opposition with tonight's starting line-up but we have no alternative but to put it behind us and prepare for Elgin on Saturday.  

Zukowski, Lowry, Lovelace, McCann and Kelly (if it's Stephen Kelly) are all capable of playing SPFL premier league football. 7-0 isnt even remotely surprising.
The problem is that come the weekend, Kelly and Zukowski won't be able to play in the Lowland League and neither Lowry, McCann or Lovelace will develop playing lowland league. Those 3 youngsters would be tested more playing for a Championship side on loan than playing the likes of Open Goal FC or Vale of Leithen.

Seems odd that players who can’t play for the b team in the league are allowed to play for the b team in the cup

Definitely seems to be lots of seethe towards Ally over on twitter...

It's bad and late, but if it had been one of the less promising players or if he hadn't ended up injured would they be so raging? Is it really any worse than the Lundstrum tackle that most Rangers fans complained wasn't a red at the weekend but now they want Love "in jail for assault"?

I've seen a not great quality clip a couple of times now, but still can't decide myself.

1 minute ago, Nowhereman said:

Seems odd that players who can’t play for the b team in the league are allowed to play for the b team in the cup

Thems the rules. There's an age limit for the B team in the lowland league that would potentially rule out Zukowski and would certainly rule out Stephen Kelly. It's an under 20s team in the Lowland League. Challenge Cup doesnt have the same age restriction.

Just now, squeezebox-son said:

Definitely seems to be lots of seethe towards Ally over on twitter...

It's bad and late, but if it had been one of the less promising players or if he hadn't ended up injured would they be so raging? Is it really any worse than the Lundstrum tackle that most Rangers fans complained wasn't a red at the weekend but now they want Love "in jail for assault"?

I've seen a not great quality clip a couple of times now, but still can't decide myself.

Yes it is.

Lets not mess about here. Ally Love was idiotic. It would have been idiotic in the first minute of the game., never mind the last He was never getting the ball. He was always taking the man. Regardless of exactly how bad the contact was and whether it was the tackle itself that caused most damage or the landing that made things worse, Love should have been dismissed for a terrible tackle. If thats an Elgin player on Saturday going in on Finlay Gray then we're all raging.

It was a shocker and Love deserves to be criticised for it.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Yes it is.

Lets not mess about here. Ally Love was idiotic. It would have been idiotic in the first minute of the game., never mind the last He was never getting the ball. He was always taking the man. Regardless of exactly how bad the contact was and whether it was the tackle itself that caused most damage or the landing that made things worse, Love should have been dismissed for a terrible tackle. If thats an Elgin player on Saturday going in on Finlay Gray then we're all raging.

It was a shocker and Love deserves to be criticised for it.

If you read my first response to the whole thing, the very first thing I said was it was a red card, in my opinion. The point I am getting at (well, a couple) is that, as with everything to do with the OF, there's a sense of entitlement that they deserve justice etc and I feel there is an overreaction by many too (court cases, several match bans and threatening to go to his house and seek revenge).

We deal with that standard of refereeing every week and nothing much comes of it, but because it's "Rangers" it's a big deal. I don't for a second think if it had been the other way around tonight that there would be even half as much of a ruckus on social media platforms.

I still think Lundstrums challenge is very similar too, but that's just my opinion.

The tackle is a complete shocker, no doubt about it. That doesn’t remotely justify the comments from the staunchers on Twitter mind you. I also don’t think they realise just quite how ironic it is that they are blaming “hammer throwers” like Ally Love for hindering young Scottish talent coming through and pushing the narrative that a big bad fully grown man went in hard on a youngster. It’s not like players like Lowry HAVE to be out there competing against our jobbers and it’s not like absolutely all of us fucking detest their presence in both the pyramid and this shitey cup. Here’s some snippets that are genuinely concerning and depressing…

AFA7FC1A-433F-4F8E-A1A9-6DAAF863300C.jpeg.098e06fef05d86f5a48b8d65a21c8f36.jpeg734C00CA-DF57-4864-8BE4-5DF9FF6237A8.jpeg.04e5a871c0d98d351c2a89b764a8316c.jpeg98C337F9-DF38-4B07-9AF2-3E3A921880E4.thumb.jpeg.906d61a825efe3d417e319c063b212f5.jpeg

1 minute ago, squeezebox-son said:

If you read my first response to the whole thing, the very first thing I said was it was a red card, in my opinion. The point I am getting at (well, a couple) is that, as with everything to do with the OF, there's a sense of entitlement that they deserve justice etc and I feel there is an overreaction by many too (court cases, several match bans and threatening to go to his house and seek revenge).

We deal with that standard of refereeing every week and nothing much comes of it, but because it's "Rangers" it's a big deal. I don't for a second think if it had been the other way around tonight that there would be even half as much of a ruckus on social media platforms.

I still think Lundstrums challenge is very similar too, but that's just my opinion.

You also asked if it was any worse than the Lundstram tackle on Saturday.

Yes it was. It clearly was.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The tackle is a complete shocker, no doubt about it. That doesn’t remotely justify the comments from the staunchers on Twitter mind you. I also don’t think they realise just quite how ironic it is that they are blaming “hammer throwers” like Ally Love for hindering young Scottish talent coming through and pushing the narrative that a big bad fully grown man went in hard on a youngster. It’s not like players like Lowry HAVE to be out there competing against our jobbers and it’s not like absolutely all of us fucking detest their presence in both the pyramid and this shitey cup. Here’s some snippets that are genuinely concerning and depressing…

AFA7FC1A-433F-4F8E-A1A9-6DAAF863300C.jpeg.098e06fef05d86f5a48b8d65a21c8f36.jpeg734C00CA-DF57-4864-8BE4-5DF9FF6237A8.jpeg.04e5a871c0d98d351c2a89b764a8316c.jpeg98C337F9-DF38-4B07-9AF2-3E3A921880E4.thumb.jpeg.906d61a825efe3d417e319c063b212f5.jpeg

Love was a fucking idiot for making the tackle. It was a bad one and he deserved a straight red.

That doesnt justify what he's going to be subjected to for the next few days. Unfortunately that's the nature of Scottish football where one half of the OF will be offering him free drinks and a night with their wife and the other half will be hoping he experiences no end of misery.

Best thing he can do is show a bit of contrition, disable his social media and be very careful for the next few days. 

Edited by BallochSonsFan