Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Kieran Brennan maybe...think he was 17  when he scored for us but not sure.

He was 17 when he scored his only goal but it was 22 days before his 18th birthday so Murdo is still leading. 

You guys are amazing remembering stuff.

5 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'll caveat this by saying, I've no idea how good Workington are. They were fine for 60 minutes, then faded badly over the last half hour as we made subs and brought on guys with a bit of quality.

We play them semi regularly although I dont think we have since Covid. Decent club amd usually I'd say good Lowland or bottom end League Two equivalent up here. But they could easily have got poorer on last couple of years without my having seen them. Was Jim Atkinson still in goal for them?

They are probably a couple of weeks behind you in pre-season too. English sides start later. 

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We play them semi regularly although I dont think we have since Covid. Decent club amd usually I'd say good Lowland or bottom end League Two equivalent up here. But they could easily have got poorer on last couple of years without my having seen them. Was Jim Atkinson still in goal for them?

They are probably a couple of weeks behind you in pre-season too. English sides start later. 

Doubt theyve got worse as last season they won promotion to the Northern Premier League - but take  your point about a later start to their new season.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They had a keeper on loan from Carlisle, Gabe Breeze, who was effectively doing them a favour as their keeper picked up an injury midweek from what I gathered. He looked really handy too. In the first-half he made some cracking saves, and his handling from crosses was really solid all game.

I think they were without a few first picks, Steven Rigg (who I remembered from QOS) certainly wasn't involved, but I think had played midweek. So must've picked up a knock there too.

It was only their second friendly I think. Although we obviously played Hebburn in our first last weekend (which was their first too) and they just looked a lot sharper. Although how much of that was down to us looking really rusty, I'm not sure. 

Hebburn looked a lot fitter, more energetic and attacking. But Workington probably looked like they would be a more solid team once they got up to speed. Is the standard better in the NPL East than West? Obviously there are probably stronger academy teams to pick in the north east for players, and I'm guessing that's a market Hebburn maybe used.

35 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

They had a keeper on loan from Carlisle, Gabe Breeze, who was effectively doing them a favour as their keeper picked up an injury midweek from what I gathered. He looked really handy too. In the first-half he made some cracking saves, and his handling from crosses was really solid all game.

I think they were without a few first picks, Steven Rigg (who I remembered from QOS) certainly wasn't involved, but I think had played midweek. So must've picked up a knock there too.

It was only their second friendly I think. Although we obviously played Hebburn in our first last weekend (which was their first too) and they just looked a lot sharper. Although how much of that was down to us looking really rusty, I'm not sure. 

Hebburn looked a lot fitter, more energetic and attacking. But Workington probably looked like they would be a more solid team once they got up to speed. Is the standard better in the NPL East than West? Obviously there are probably stronger academy teams to pick in the north east for players, and I'm guessing that's a market Hebburn maybe used.

Do you know if Calum Wilson is injured?

On 08/07/2023 at 17:02, The Moonster said:

Who is the youngest player to score for us @microdave?

I've had a look through all the squads from beginning to end and I have an answer. It might not be the correct answer as dates of birth are scarce among the players before the 1960's but I can only go on the information available. 

Dunky Walker was 17 years and 57 days old when he scored against Motherwell in a league match on 8th November 1919. He was born on 12th September 1902. 

Luca Vata (as of today) is 17 years and 63 days old so he's too old now😂😂. He could become the youngest this century if he scores before the 15th October. That is currently held by Alan Cook when he scored against Stirling Albion on 3rd October 2009 at 17 years and 161 days old. 

On 09/07/2023 at 10:48, Jan Vojáček said:

He is, aye. He'll be back for the 20s by the end of August and is hoping to be back in first team squads by September all being well.

Can players signed for Dumbarton actually play for the U20s Development team?

May sound like a silly question but who administers the WOSF development league that the 20s play in and does the player registration transfer between them and the SPFL...I assume it does then.

5 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

May sound like a silly question but who administers the WOSF development league that the 20s play in and does the player registration transfer between them and the SPFL...I assume it does then.

I believe they can. Faz said as much anyway. It was a big part of the attraction to the league for us to get guys gametime. And players like Luca Vata will certainly be playing for both.

13 minutes ago, Urban Spaceman said:

I administer the WoSFDL (along with a committee of others).

We've had no indication that they can't play. Any signed player can play for the 20s if they qualify, they're not registered to the Under 20s, they're signed on senior forms.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

🤔

Screenshot_20230712_115714_Twitter.jpg

I’m not sure anyone on our board actually has the nous to even enquire about something like that.

Were WDC not heavily involved with the renovated Holm Park? I’d be speaking to them pronto. A community facility like that could be a vote winner for those daft, greedy b*****d councilors and I’ve no doubt some of them would love to flaunt something like that if they were involved in it. Given that trying to book some of the school pitches has become harder than gettin a reservation at the Hotel de Ville, a community pitch in Dumbarton would be great for not only us but loads of the local boys clubs and amateur teams.

Unless I'm wrong a new pitch could be £750k? Surely that's an investment given the aforementioned demand for these types of pitches. 

We really need to build bridges or create bridges with the council here. Even if West Dunbartonshire Leisure were involved. Use our space for a gym or gym classes or something? 

35 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Unless I'm wrong a new pitch could be £750k? Surely that's an investment given the aforementioned demand for these types of pitches. 

We really need to build bridges or create bridges with the council here. Even if West Dunbartonshire Leisure were involved. Use our space for a gym or gym classes or something? 

Holm Park is a council facility and was upgraded by them.

Dumbarton FC own the ground and are a private company,big difference.

Edited by Greenmachine