Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Could be a typo but there is a GRIVAS on the bench for us tonight.Anyone know anything ?

All i could come up with was the Greek guy...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frixos_Grivas

From Froxy to Frixos?Could all be bollocks and just a typo.

https://x.com/DumbartonU20/status/1808204716284785143?t=mWUyM7gB_I71IAClhCWLHw&s=19

6 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Could be a typo but there is a GRIVAS on the bench for us tonight.Anyone know anything ?

All i could come up with was the Greek guy...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frixos_Grivas

From Froxy to Frixos?Could all be bollocks and just a typo.

Judging by the following tweet, it looks to be someone that was playing for our under 20s that’s been given a contract.

Panos Grivas - can’t find anything about him.

3 minutes ago, super-son said:

Judging by the following tweet, it looks to be someone that was playing for our under 20s that’s been given a contract.

Panos Grivas - can’t find anything about him.

He might not be up to much but I always like it when young players get a chance and we might just unearth a talent.Felt a bit sorry for Luca Vata ..dont think he was given many chances to show what he could do.

All the best to Panos!!

Edited by lorenzo71

This looks like a game between sides several divisions apart. We're sharper, fitter, quicker and stronger absolutely all over the park. Keeping the ball nicely too. Probably should be a wee bit more comfortable too, but the Glens keeper has made a couple of cracking saves.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

He might not be up to much but I always like it when young players get a chance and we might just unearth a talent.Felt a bit sorry for Luca Vata ..dont think he was given many chances to show what he could do.

All the best to Panos!!

Luca Vata wasn’t good enough, simple as that. I saw him a few times for the 20s and even there he didn’t look great. He was also built like the side of a fiver. Good luck to him and no doubt he will get a game in WoS level but I’d be amazed if he got anywhere near an spfl side 

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This looks like a game between sides several divisions apart. We're sharper, fitter, quicker and stronger absolutely all over the park. Keeping the ball nicely too. Probably should be a wee bit more comfortable too, but the Glens keeper has made a couple of cracking saves.

Unless I’m mistaken it seemed like senna and sheilds were rotating position every 10mins or so in the first half. Wonder if we were trying something different 

42 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Unless I’m mistaken it seemed like senna and sheilds were rotating position every 10mins or so in the first half. Wonder if we were trying something different 

Nope, you're bang on. Shiels advanced into midfield like the underlapping centre-halves Sheffield United used to play and Sena dropped back to plug the gap in defence. With Cammy Clark moving to LB. 

As a team we had a cracking shape all night. It was fluid but structured if that made sense.

I really liked the look of the Greek guy from the 20s. He could've had a hat-trick, got into great positions had a cracking first touch and really put himself about. He's a very strong looking boy for someone who has just turned 17. Bounced a fairly burly Glenafton defender straight off him at one stage. Excited to see more of him.

It sounds daft too, but he just looked like a striker. When he first came on I thought he was Michael Ruth, and that's probably the biggest compliment I could pay anyone! 

The second-half wasn't much of an event as the changes all took place. But we should've added a few more; fair play to the Glenafton keeper though. He had a serious workout tonight and made some very decent saves. Our wasteful finishing was basically all I could grumble about. Our shape was superb, we were good to watch and we kept possession (first-half especially) absolutely superbly. Jinky Hilton is looking particularly sharp too.

A good night even if 28% of my skin has now been eaten by midgies. 

8 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Nope, you're bang on. Shiels advanced into midfield like the underlapping centre-halves Sheffield United used to play and Sena dropped back to plug the gap in defence. With Cammy Clark moving to LB. 

As a team we had a cracking shape all night. It was fluid but structured if that made sense.

I really liked the look of the Greek guy from the 20s. He could've had a hat-trick, got into great positions had a cracking first touch and really put himself about. He's a very strong looking boy for someone who has just turned 17. Bounced a fairly burly Glenafton defender straight off him at one stage. Excited to see more of him.

It sounds daft too, but he just looked like a striker. When he first came on I thought he was Michael Ruth, and that's probably the biggest compliment I could pay anyone! 

The second-half wasn't much of an event as the changes all took place. But we should've added a few more; fair play to the Glenafton keeper though. He had a serious workout tonight and made some very decent saves. Our wasteful finishing was basically all I could grumble about. Our shape was superb, we were good to watch and we kept possession (first-half especially) absolutely superbly. Jinky Hilton is looking particularly sharp too.

You reckon Grivas will be part of the first team this season? 

8 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Admittedly it's pre-season but I'm liking the sound of that, and Grivas Bodily Harm sounds like a prospect.

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You reckon Grivas will be part of the first team this season? 

Based purely on the half hour tonight and how Franko spoke about him, I can see him having the Luca Vata role - but actually getting off the bench more than once every six months. He certainly doesn’t look far away physically from being ready, and he was getting into great positions. Just lacked a wee bit of composure when it came to the finish.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

Based purely on the half hour tonight and how Franko spoke about him, I can see him having the Luca Vata role - but actually getting off the bench more than once every six months. He certainly doesn’t look far away physically from being ready, and he was getting into great positions. Just lacked a wee bit of composure when it came to the finish.

Having a low cost option as back up striker may not be the worst idea now that we need another centre half. Interested to see what this boy can offer.