Sons' sorrow

The lack of a goal threat is a total pisser as 11 goals conceded in 8 league games isn't a dreadful defensive record thus far. Brown is becoming more influential by the game but as you say his best work is a bit too deep so there's merit in your suggestion.

Cawley's presence on the other hand I'm seriously beginning to question, and I get the feeling that we are continually hoping for end product rather than seeing it. I've said before that he and Gibson in the same starting eleven is probably too much mercurial trickery and it still looks that way.

Young Brophy is probably prolific from 15 yards but for that we need a 'presence' alongside him to hold off defenders and provide knockdowns - Lister and the horribly-maligned Nish anyone - but we simply don't have that. Garry is not a time-served striker and it shows. Perhaps a fit Ross will do us a turn, there's that 'hope' thing again.....

There was a huge difference between Lister and Nish. The reason that Nish was horribly maligned was that in addition to being hopeless, he couldn't be bothered. More 'absence' than 'presence'.

Easton did hee-haw to convince anyone in his time here last season. He's another in a line that includes Haswell, Halsmann, McKinnon, Ramage, Lamont and Petrie - how the f***did they ever get on the books of Premier clubs ?

Add Gary Smith and Callum Thomson to that list as well. Last I heard Smith was at Arthurlie and Thomson, I doubt, ever actually existed.

There was a huge difference between Lister and Nish. The reason that Nish was horribly maligned was that in addition to being hopeless, he couldn't be bothered. More 'absence' than 'presence'.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one Wilf. Given his stature and awkward gait Nish was never going to be other than an obvious 'presence', whilst the likes of Megginson and Campbell ghosted thro last season producing diddly-squat.

And I think you're being unfair re his commitment - presumably Hibs, Dundee and Kilmarnock didn't experience the same problem, so how did it arise at DFC ?

Reports in the press that Steven Saunders is joining.

He's a right-back isn't he? Would make sense if it's a short-term deal to cover Taggs injury, get him back out there and allow us to move Gal back to midfield.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/steven-saunders-signs-short-term-deal-at-dumbarton-1-3901278

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

He's really not a right back, but will do a job there if pushed, and not asked to contribute in an attacking sense. You'd be much better off with Darren Barr at right back and Saunders in the middle, but getting the pair of them fit at the same time requires enormously complicated scientific equations.

He's a very decent - but permanently injured - centre half. He's a very, very limited right back. I'd go as far as saying he's not really a right back at all. I wish him well.

Are Dumbarton really in need of another defender? You seem have hundreds of them.

Taggart's injured so Barr has been playing right-back rather than centre-back and latterly Gallagher, a central midfielder has been RB. We only have two LB's, one RB, who's injured, and three CB's, one of whom can play RB, so it's not as many as you'd think.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one Wilf. Given his stature and awkward gait Nish was never going to be other than an obvious 'presence', whilst the likes of Megginson and Campbell ghosted thro last season producing diddly-squat.

And I think you're being unfair re his commitment - presumably Hibs, Dundee and Kilmarnock didn't experience the same problem, so how did it arise at DFC ?

Interesting. I never saw him play for these other clubs or if I did it was via televised games, I can only really give my opinion on his time with Sons. This is also the case with Eddie Annand, Stevie Mallon, Michael Moore, Darren Gribben, Dennis Wyness and other has beens who arrived with decent reputations but alas, after their sell-by date. The experience the other clubs had therefore is pretty much obiter dicta. Certain players' commitment diminishes with age and dwindling remuneration. If you think that Nish's demeanour and style conveyed commitment, then I think you're in a small minority at the Rock.

Taggart's injured so Barr has been playing right-back rather than centre-back and latterly Gallagher, a central midfielder has been RB. We only have two LB's, one RB, who's injured, and three CB's, one of whom can play RB, so it's not as many as you'd think.

Why not sign a right back then??