Sons' sorrow

Whilst we're on the old kits chat, my Dad's sure he remembers a game in the early 70s where we wore a fully white kit - eg white top with no stripes or trim - white shorts and socks. He can't remember the year, and it was just one game at Boghead that he saw it, but he's sure he remembers Davie Wilson, Kenny Wilson and Charlie Gallagher wearing it. He told me to ask on here to see if anyone could remember the game.

Has he lost his marbles, or can any of you other people of his age remember that?

Whilst we're on the old kits chat, my Dad's sure he remembers a game in the early 70s where we wore a fully white kit - eg white top with no stripes or trim - white shorts and socks. He can't remember the year, and it was just one game at Boghead that he saw it, but he's sure he remembers Davie Wilson, Kenny Wilson and Charlie Gallagher wearing it. He told me to ask on here to see if anyone could remember the game.

Has he lost his marbles, or can any of you other people of his age remember that?

I saw all of the games that these three played together at Boghead. I am certain they never played in an all-white strip.

I saw all of the games that these three played together at Boghead. I am certain they never played in an all-white strip.

His marbles have probably left him, I'll just blame his age!

He is adamant though, absolutely convinced he just has no idea who it was against or exactly when it was  :lol:

Right, here's some further info. He's sure the team came out in gold/black/black and then had to go in and change. It was also sunny so potentially early in the season?

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Don't recall an all white kit, someone more knowledgeable will probably correct that though. Can remember a gold shirt with black trim collar & cuffs, black shorts.

Although.....

Here is the late Hughie Gallagher in an all white strip with Yours Truly (aged 12). This was an old crocks match at Rhu Amateurs in 1972.

That looks to be it! He's convinced it was at Boghead though, but at least he knows that an all white kit did exist at one point!

Greenie headed your way when I charge up my laptop.

His marbles have probably left him, I'll just blame his age!

He is adamant though, absolutely convinced he just has no idea who it was against or exactly when it was  :lol:

Right, here's some further info. He's sure the team came out in gold/black/black and then had to go in and change. It was also sunny so potentially early in the season?

He's almost right on that one. It was sunny but it was winter sun. A cold day in November 71 v Albion Rovers. Sons started the game in the white strip with the bands. Rovers had an utterly ghastly strip described as 'primrose yellow' with white sleeves. In reality the yellow was barely darker than the white.

Midway through the first half, the ref sent the Dumbarton team off to change into the gold shirts and black shorts.

ETA sons won 3-0 via a Kenny Wilson hat trick.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

That looks to be it! He's convinced it was at Boghead though, but at least he knows that an all white kit did exist at one point!

Greenie headed your way when I charge up my laptop.

However, the Old Crocks were made up of former Old Firm and Dumbarton players. It was an annual event. I don't think the three players you mention ever turned out for them tho'

He's almost right on that one. It was sunny but it was winter sun. A cold day in November 71 v Albion Rovers. Sons started the game in the white strip with the bands. Rovers had an utterly ghastly strip described as 'primrose yellow' with white sleeves. In reality the yellow was barely darker than the white.

Midway through the first half, the ref sent the Dumbarton team off to change into the gold shirts and black shorts.

He was right up with that, and agreed maybe we changed top from white to gold, but is convinced that the Sons strip was totally white!

He's now on the phone to my Papa to see if he remembers it. This could go on for some time!

He was right up with that, and agreed maybe we changed top from white to gold, but is convinced that the Sons strip was totally white!

He's now on the phone to my Papa to see if he remembers it. This could go on for some time!

I'm afraid that my memory of that game is so clear that I can even remember the Rovers' numbers on their strips were red. It was the banded strip we wore until the change. Steve Aitken wasn't even born at this time......

I'm afraid that my memory of that game is so clear that I can even remember the Rovers' numbers on their strips were red. It was the banded strip we wore until the change. Steve Aitken wasn't even born at this time......

You must have a memory like me for these things, no way I'd have forgotten the minor details never mind the opposition...or if it actually happened.

Anyway my Papa says he can vaguely remember it, but I suspect he's just being polite. Anyway cheers for your help, it's helped me learn plenty about the early 70s!

I wonder if the opposition played in all white and he's getting mixed up. He's slammed this suggestion, but knowing what his recent memory is like I wouldn't be shocked!

Wilf is correct about the Albion Rovers game. By the time we played them in the return fixture at Cliftonhill Rovers were sporting a strip of darker hue. To be exact, according to Beanzie, who was standing along from me in his usual "refreshed" disposition , "diarrhoea yellow". Beanzie was the only ballboy ever to be sent off at Boghead in his younger days. I don't ever remember us playing in an all white strip at home between 1970 and 1973, when I never missed a home game. A little earlier than that, I do have an inkling that we might have worn an all red top, with white shorts and red socks, as a change strip at home in a couple of fixtures. I think the home team changed colours in those days when there was a clash. I have a mental image of Alan "Pot" Watson wearing that red strip.

I can remember seeing the reserve team play in all white. Only player that I can remember playing off the top of my head was John Bourke

Wilf is correct about the Albion Rovers game. By the time we played them in the return fixture at Cliftonhill Rovers were sporting a strip of darker hue. To be exact, according to Beanzie, who was standing along from me in his usual "refreshed" disposition , "diarrhoea yellow". Beanzie was the only ballboy ever to be sent off at Boghead in his younger days. I don't ever remember us playing in an all white strip at home between 1970 and 1973, when I never missed a home game. A little earlier than that, I do have an inkling that we might have worn an all red top, with white shorts and red socks, as a change strip at home in a couple of fixtures. I think the home team changed colours in those days when there was a clash. I have a mental image of Alan "Pot" Watson wearing that red strip.

We wore red against Celtic at boghead in the mid 70s in a league cup section match

My memory of that game was 2-1 at HT. 3-1 just after the restart. I think Dalglish came on as sub and scored 2.

3-1 at half-time, after Celtic scored first, with Hughie McLean and Ian Wallace ripping Celtic apart. John Bourke headed against the bar from a corner early in the second-half before Dalglish rescued Celtic.

I can remember seeing the reserve team play in all white. Only player that I can remember playing off the top of my head was John Bourke

I'm wondering if he could've been at a reserves match. He would've been 8 in 1972, so at that age he probably wouldn't have known the difference, he's seen the reserves play and then (all these years later) just assumed that the players he remembers from that period were playing.

This is all far more interesting than our manager potentially leaving!