Sons' sorrow

Mind that time yous loaned out a player that wasn't good enough for the first division before he sent us through against a first division team and earned us a lucrative cup tie?

Pepperidge farm remembers

Mind that time you were two leagues below us? Such is the talent pool at DFC, we can afford to lend out

future stars to the diddy teams.

Time to breathe some negativity back into the mix….better look away now Snudge.

So, following on from Riordinho, what’s with the Robbie Nielson thing – have we become a charitable training facility for ex-Hearts and Hibs players ? At a time when we are heading into another hard season I would have thought that the priority would be to have every position in every game filled by guys who were at least under serious consideration as Sons players. And especially at centre-back.

Discuss, but only on negative terms.

So, following on from Riordinho, what’s with the Robbie Nielson thing – have we become a charitable training facility for ex-Hearts and Hibs players ? At a time when we are heading into another hard season I would have thought that the priority would be to have every position in every game filled by guys who were at least under serious consideration as Sons players. And especially at centre-back.

Would have to agree. No chance of them joining but still giving them game time when they could be giving starts to Coleman and Mckeaker, but I guess we can say we've had two ex Scotland internationalists put on the sons kit.

Neilson is 33 and has spent the past few seasons with various injuries and he was on the books at our Division One rivals Falkirk last season, therefore I see no reason why he wouldn't be considered a "serious" trialist. He's at the stage of his career where his time as a footballer is winding down and he has less options than previously. Riordan played perhaps 20 minutes as a favour to him by the manager, but I fail to see how that reflects on Robbie Neilson's trial appearance for the club. He converted from right back to centre back as he got older and we're in the market for a centre back, therefore he is on trial trying to earn a contract, not just turning out for fitness.

Some folk just like to stir shit up and have a whinge.

Neilson is 33 and has spent the past few seasons with various injuries and he was on the books at our Division One rivals Falkirk last season, therefore I see no reason why he wouldn't be considered a "serious" trialist. He's at the stage of his career where his time as a footballer is winding down and he has less options than previously. Riordan played perhaps 20 minutes as a favour to him by the manager, but I fail to see how that reflects on Robbie Neilson's trial appearance for the club. He converted from right back to centre back as he got older and we're in the market for a centre back, therefore he is on trial trying to earn a contract, not just turning out for fitness.

Some folk just like to stir shit up and have a whinge.

Have you had a read of the Lennox? Murray has even said we aren't going to be signing Neilson.. Was just for fitness purposes.

I did have a slight problem with giving these players game time if we had no view to sign them but when you look at it, we've given Riordan 45 minutes at most and training facilities, not sure how long Neilson played but who knows if we're looking to sign him or not? It's not a massive problem really, I'm sure Murray has assessed the fitness of all the players at the start of pre-season and knows who needs more game time than others. If he feels that he has space in the team to help out somebody troubled like Riordan in a closed doors friendly then is it really a big issue?

Murray is a professional guy and we've got to trust what he's doing here, I am sure he wouldn't give these guys game time if he felt one of our signed players could use it. After the Stranraer game (and I'm sure even before it) Murray will be fully aware of the positions we need filled and I have no doubt he will sort out what needs sorted.

Or he could say I have spunked the budget and really have to pull a rabbit out the hat to fill our problem position :)

Don't see it myself. From what I hear Lithgow was offered a good wage to stay and I don't see who we've spent that money on. Kevin Smith is one who might have wanted a good wage but with his injury problems I'm sure Murray had some negotiating room there. Who else have we signed that would demand huge wages? McGinn? Said himself he just wanted first team football and I don't think there were any other offers on the table for him. I don't see that signing breaking the bank. Turner? It's well known he signed because he got a good job outside of football and staying part time suits him, again don't see him on huge wages.

Maybe, just maybe, Murray hasn't found the right player yet and hasn't signed someone for the sake of signing someone? ;)