Sons' sorrow

Murray took the Buddies job when the club was a mess. With the supporter buy out now complete, there should be a degree of stability at the club and they need to build on that. If it takes another 2 or 3 years to get promotion then thats the time they need to give Jack Ross. There is no quick fix. The club needs to be patient and so long as JR is making progress, even if its small steps, then they need to back him.

I think the outpouring of support for the guy from a mass amount of players on Twitter shows how well liked he is. Bryan Prunty has gone as far to describe him as the best coach he has ever worked with. I always wondered if his good relationship with players would hinder him as a manager but it appears to be the opposite based on his short time at Alloa.

It could go tits up much like Murray but I fully expect him to be a success. The direction the two have taken since leaving us would back up the theories that he was the brains behind our hugely successful season of fast flowing, counter attacking football. Of course that may not be true but it certainly has more substance now than it ever did.

If it had been at any other club then I'd have no doubt that Jack would be a success. However with St Mirren pretty much permanently on the verge of a crisis these days I'm not 100% sure.

I hope the fans and board give him time. From the moment he joined us to the moment he left I heard players all say how much they enjoyed working with him - and not one story that was negative about his style.

I'll be very, very interested to see how he does and (perhaps more than that) the way he plays football. Under him and Muzz it was glorious, quick attacking stuff. Under Muzz and Spalding it was miserable dross.

I wonder if Alloa might fancy a punt on Ian Murray...with the right man beside him (whoever that may be) he could do a decent job.

I don't think we should get too sentimental here, St Mirren will no doubt get a bounce from Jack Ross's appointment and we'll need to develop a cutting edge pronto to keep in touch with the pack.  To be honest, I'm a wee bit surprised as I though Saints would opt for an experienced hand rather than venture down the 'potential' route again so soon after Murray.

I don't think we should get too sentimental here, St Mirren will no doubt get a bounce from Jack Ross's appointment and we'll need to develop a cutting edge pronto to keep in touch with the pack.  To be honest, I'm a wee bit surprised as I though Saints would opt for an experienced hand rather than venture down the 'potential' route again so soon after Murray.

We should forget about St Mirren. They wont be our relegation rivals as the season progresses.

Regardless of who will be down there with us unless we sort out the away form pronto then it wont be much of a battle. Shitfesting points at home simply wont be enough to keep us afloat.

Surprised to see Ross going to St Mirren so soon. He hasn't really proved himself as a manager yet and to take on such a poisoned chalice of a job at this early stage in his career could well be a decision he will come to regret. Staying at Alloa for a year or two with a lot less pressure would have allowed him to develop. If results don't improve at St Mirren he could easily be out of a job before the season ends.

It'll be interesting to see how Jack Ross gets on at a club which has been a graveyard for managers for more than a generation. It's a sobering thought that even Alex Ferguson was sacked by the Buddies. Winning cups and keeping the club in the top league can result in the sack at St. Mirren. There is a logical explanation in that they on the bottom rung of middle ranking clubs with delusions that they aren't. Despite Paisley's large population, St Miren Park is seven miles from Ibrox Stadium. I wish Jack Ross and Saints all the best but it will need all his and their resources to improve their situation.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2706

Another young lad in Jay Cameron sent out on loan to Newmains. I'm really happy with our approach to the U17's now. Instead of us taking on a full team of boys to U20 level, of which only 2 or 3 of them have any chance of making it, we can send out the boys to compete and understand what it's like to play against men. Instead of incurring running costs for that U20 side too I imagine there will be very little cost to us for loaning boys out. Makes you wonder why we've not been doing it all along really.

FTU20.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2706

Another young lad in Jay Cameron sent out on loan to Newmains. I'm really happy with our approach to the U17's now. Instead of us taking on a full team of boys to U20 level, of which only 2 or 3 of them have any chance of making it, we can send out the boys to compete and understand what it's like to play against men. Instead of incurring running costs for that U20 side too I imagine there will be very little cost to us for loaning boys out. Makes you wonder why we've not been doing it all along really.

FTU20.

Any idea how Kassarate and Clark are getting on?

Still can't believe McCallum hasn't been sent out somewhere. No idea why we would keep him here when he can't even get off the bench. I'd league to see him drop down to League 1 or 2 and prove that with a run of games he's ready (or not ready) for the 1st team.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Any idea how Kassarate and Clark are getting on?

Still can't believe McCallum hasn't been sent out somewhere. No idea why we would keep him here when he can't even get off the bench. I'd league to see him drop down to League 1 or 2 and prove that with a run of games he's ready (or not ready) for the 1st team.

Reliable source tells me both have had their "cherries", well & truly popped. (in one case it was a hairy scaffolder from Kilsyth) They'll return as MEN, after a stint in the Juniors, have no fear.

I visited the website of Culross Developments who are proposing the housing development on the old Hiram Walker's site, as well as the idea of a walkway from the quay to the base of the Rock, including visitor centre, etc.,  Whilst I noticed that this proposal is scheduled for a WDC Planning Meeting next month, I couldn't find any site plan or map of what is proposed.

There was a small artist's impression shown, and it looked to me as if the stadium had vanished - has anyone seen what's in this application at the Rock end ??

I visited the website of Culross Developments who are proposing the housing development on the old Hiram Walker's site, as well as the idea of a walkway from the quay to the base of the Rock, including visitor centre, etc.,  Whilst I noticed that this proposal is scheduled for a WDC Planning Meeting next month, I couldn't find any site plan or map of what is proposed.

There was a small artist's impression shown, and it looked to me as if the stadium had vanished - has anyone seen what's in this application at the Rock end ??
57f77783b4d64_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

Made an absolute mess of quoting this.

Anyway, I clocked that too. I'm not sure if the stadium is that 4 sided thing where it is at the moment - and it's just a lazy artists impression - or if something else is going on. Weird picture though.

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Made an absolute mess of quoting this.

Anyway, I clocked that too. I'm not sure if the stadium is that 4 sided thing where it is at the moment - and it's just a lazy artists impression - or if something else is going on. Weird picture though.

Looks like the C.I.D stadium has 4-sides, could it be that we'll have a 'proper' Ground, right where we belong???

Reality would tell me that it's just an artist's rough impression of the area though :(

20 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I'm very impressed with the latest regeneration plans for the High Street though.....

That picture makes me almost weep Rab. 

And I'm reminded of the film 'It's A Wonderful Life' in which the pleasant town of Bedford Falls descends into a dystopian dump called 'Pottersville', all because George Bailey's bank went under.  Banks are about all that remain from that picture; to think that as late as the 1960's we had two licensed grocers, bespoke tailors, a stationers and a saddlers for Heaven's sake !

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III
incorrect spelling

That picture makes me almost weep Rab. 

And I'm reminded of the film 'It's A Wonderful Life' in which the pleasant town of Bedford Falls descends into a dystopian dump called 'Pottersville', all because George Bailey's bank went under.  Banks are about all that remain from that picture; to think that as late as the 1960's we had two licensed grocers, bespoke tailors, a stationers and a saddlers for Heaven's sake !

As late as the 1960s? It's fifty years ago. To put that in perspective fifty years before the 1960s the First World War was taking place. Would you have expected Dumbarton high street to look like it did during the first world war as you were growing up?