Homelessness

Been there off and on in the last 5 years, sometimes by choice (had just turned 40 when it happened first). And I don't mean kipping on someones coach as being homeless.

Don't give them money, food etc, they get dependant.

?

joke surely

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of times, though mainly 'the station' ? I think. The folk I visit generally drink in Leith :D

Sound. My old man is boat daft BTW, even built his own wee boat, usually goes fishing off crail or anstruther.

?

joke surely

100 % not.

Of course people are dependant on food, that is the survival instinct. But if they sit there day after day getting hand outs, they will keep doing it. No need for them to change.

I think the longest I've went was when the bank whacked another couple of hundred in charges on me, was 3 or 4 days with nothing. Not good in a manual job. Never had a shoite in a fortnight though so saved on bog roll, 'twas a 'win' really...

Sound. My old man is boat daft BTW, even built his own wee boat, usually goes fishing off crail or anstruther.

East Coast paah! Flat grey and nae big rollers. Apart from the Bay City ones, and you don't want to bring them up in these BEASTLY times.

lol, eh, well............. First 40 years of life were non descript general West of Scotland boy life. After I hit the Big 4 , 0 it all went tits. Had moved to Lewis after buying 2nd house whilst renting out flat in Edinburgh, got dog (s), split up from partner who took me for everything leaving me with £25k+ debt in my name whilst keeping both properties.

Ferry back to mainland with aforementioned dog, rucksack, tent and £50. Applied for work, got job, after a while got car. Slept in car for 18 months. Got in b+b who took dogs but got diagnosed with cancer of el bollocks minimum at this point (this was when joined P+B). Not going into it, the posts are there I think, embarrasing ailments thread from the time??? I think ? gives that aspect.

Had ops, went back to same job and living in car again as Winter struck. Next year moved in with next partner on wee isle that was only home to us, no mains leccy, phone etc.

Split up again and back to car etc etc etc...

Been a crazy 5 years and employed through all bar the 3 months I took off for recuperation. Gone through 7 cars/vans + 1 boat. Been charged with numerous driving offences with only one pishy 'no MOT' which stuck and was no points and £60 :lol: fine.

Defended myself in Sherrif Court over the £25k bank debt (which was a legit loan) and they dropped the case 8).

Probably a breenge o' other stuff that escapes me just now, but all in all, a hulluva 5 years.

Very interesting story. (Although I'd prefer my current boring life than this interesting one.) It's a salutary reminder that we're never really as secure as we think we are and homelessness can happen to anyone.

Very interesting story. (Although I'd prefer my current boring life than this interesting one.) It's a salutary reminder that we're never really as secure as we think we are and homelessness can happen to anyone.

That was pos the hardest part to take Swampy.

I had said 'non descript 40 years' but it had been hairy a lot of it though, but with always the family to drop back on. My parents had died when I was 12 so Aunts/Uncles, brothers, sisters etc always looked out for me (brothers and sisters are a good bit older).

Met the lass when I was about 30 and thought that was it. Bought first flat in 2001, everything dandy, had savings, good life in Edinburgh etc etc. Life was good. Then we wanted 'more'. I thought I had it made, it couldn't get any better once the 2nd property was bought. Everything incl relationship, was ideal. That was the downfall.

I reckon the part ( a large part) of why I kept clear of people I knew when I split up (and only spoke to sister since and that was because of impending op ) was that I had relied/burdened them so much when I was a child.

The fun parts of having a Police dog team out looking for me when I totalled a car, are only seen as a bonus :D

Wunfellaff, gonna stop posting please. This, your story truly has been sad/happy/amusing at the same time.

Best of luck

Cheers Sam, will do. It not relevant to the usual topic of 'homelessness' I suppose. Probably trying to highlight there is more to it than a jakey wae a cup on the street in the city. Most of them wont post on here .............

ETA, it makes it 'imbalanced' if only my experiences.........

As someone said previously, you have to have f**ked up pretty bad to have no mates or family who are willing to let you live with them in your hour of need.

If homeless people have nobody who knows them willing to help them out, then you have to imagine they made a c**t of themselves somewhere down the line.

I watched the homeless program on TV (panorama i think) and a few examples of what can make people homeless. Eye opening stuff.

1 woman had cancer and couldn't afford the mortgage. bank didn't want to know and kicked her out.

A family had bad luck when the dads engineering business went belly up due to the recession. Again, the bank weren't interested and evicted them.

The family with a clan of kids i think were at it, the council did too. Here they are homeless and drinking posh shop bought coffee, have an iphone and taking taxis.

The only 1 i felt for was the former investment banker. He had returned from the States after losing his job, to find he would get no help from the government until he was recognised as a UK citizen.

The only 1 that spent time living rough was the banker. The family who seemed decent lived with relatives. The family who looked at it lived in emergency accommodation and the woman with cancer turned down an emergency home and lived with a friend.

There probably is a few people on the streets who are just like the investment banker, but i imagine a lot are questionable.

As someone said previously, you have to have f**ked up pretty bad to have no mates or family who are willing to let you live with them in your hour of need.

If homeless people have nobody who knows them willing to help them out, then you have to imagine they made a c**t of themselves somewhere down the line.

Sorry, I know I had just said i was leaving it but this I cannae let go.

have no mates or family who are willing to let you live with them in your hour of need.

Wtf makes you think people in that situation will want to ask? Or, indeed, receive?

Sorry, I know I had just said i was leaving it but this I cannae let go.

Wtf makes you think people in that situation will want to ask? Or, indeed, receive?

Or that people around are in a position to help?

I found that post (Gaz FFC's) to be rather presumptuous, ignorant and actually, a little rude, I must say.

Or that people around are in a position to help?

I found that post (Gaz FFC's) to be rather presumptuous, ignorant and actually, a little rude, I must say.

Feel free to be more specific as i have a habit of not quite nailing what i meant to say.

They'd rather beg in the street?

I did say not everybody that is homeless is an arse, just some

Feel free to be more specific as i have a habit of not quite nailing what i meant to say.

have no mates or family who are willing to let you live with them in your hour of need.

I think was the clincher,,,,,,,,

I do that a lot too. You do seem to be saying though that if someone is destitute, they must have been a bit of a p***k to everyone at some point or there would be someone to help them out. Not everyone has the cash to give out or the space to put someone up. People lose contact with friends/family for whatever reason. It could be that the friends/family are p***ks and won't help. Not everyone has relatives or friends. There's plenty of reasons why someone might not have other options available to them, or as wunfellaff pointed out, they may not feel able to ask.

I do that a lot too. You do seem to be saying though that if someone is destitute, they must have been a bit of a p***k to everyone at some point or there would be someone to help them out. Not everyone has the cash to give out or the space to put someone up. People lose contact with friends/family for whatever reason. It could be that the friends/family are p***ks and won't help. Not everyone has relatives or friends. There's plenty of reasons why someone might not have other options available to them, or as wunfellaff pointed out, they may not feel able to ask.

I did say not everybody but a lot you have to question why family and friends don't help.

You are delusional (not you personally Mrs M) if you believe their is nobody who is homeless and a total p***k who has continually pushed friend a family loyalty to the brink, was more what i meant.

I did say not everybody but a lot you have to question why family and friends don't help.

You are delusional (not you personally Mrs M) if you believe their is nobody who is homeless and a total p***k who has continually pushed friend a family loyalty to the brink, was more what i meant.

Gaz, far from a dig, but you arnae getting this. There is a breenge o' folk that won't ask for help. Don't want it. Etc etc.

I was/am one of that crowd. Probably was ( I know I had a job and room offer as soon as folk found me) easier ways but some people don't want to be found!

Gaz, far from a dig, but you arnae getting this. There is a breenge o' folk that won't ask for help. Don't want it. Etc etc.

I was/am one of that crowd. Probably was ( I know I had a job and room offer as soon as folk found me) easier ways but some people don't want to be found!

I understand some homeless people aren't in the category i mention. I also am sorry you found yourself in a horrible position.

I work (kind of) with homeless accommodation and on xmas eve came across a gentleman down on his luck. his wife had kicked him out the family home and was divorcing him. This fella now found himself living in emergency accommodation for xmas. I certainly know that people can suddenly find themselves in a situation outwith their control.

On the other hand i know of guys who took to drugs and stealing from their family to afford it, finding themselves on the streets. Do these people deserve to be homeless?

The guy was a total dick before he took to drugs and stealing and gets no sympathy from me.

I understand some homeless people aren't in the category i mention. I also am sorry you found yourself in a horrible position.

I work (kind of) with homeless accommodation and on xmas eve came across a gentleman down on his luck. his wife had kicked him out the family home and was divorcing him. This fella now found himself living in emergency accommodation for xmas. I certainly know that people can suddenly find themselves in a situation outwith their control.

On the other hand i know of guys who took to drugs and stealing from their family to afford it, finding themselves on the streets. Do these people deserve to be homeless?

The guy was a total dick before he took to drugs and stealing and gets no sympathy from me.

Fair 'nuff, but that doesn't square with your previous post, which was what me + LM questioned.

Anyhoo, as a homeless git, I am piloting 3 boats, driving 3 extendable forklifts and driving 2 4x4's starting in6 hours time :) Catcha!

Wunfellaff, gonna stop posting please. This, your story truly has been sad/happy/amusing at the same time.

Best of luck

I've stoped reading them. I'm going to wait for the film coming out. Do you think we'll be in it? Who will play Wunfellaff?

Archived