Homelessness

CJ from Eggheads fame was homeless in his younger days and has been on campaign lately to get something done about homelessness. His most recent blog posting - thoughts?

I endured years of terrible abuse and the only way out, as with tens of thousands of people every year, was to sleep rough.

I was homeless between 1987 and 1990 and spent time sleeping on the streets in Sheffield, London and Amsterdam. I was however incredibly lucky and a chance meeting led to a burgeoning career and my escape from the life I had been propelled into.

Since then, my homelessness has been a spur and somewhat of an inspiration for me. I can’t bear to see other people in the same situation and have done what I can to help those going through the same.

I consider it a matter of national shame that so many are forced into positions where they believe there’s no other option. Whether to escape violence, prejudice or all too often, just reality, sleeping on the street should never be a viable or even contemplated solution in an affluent western country in the 21st century. How is this possible?

Although Christmas doesn’t mean anything to me, I dread to think of anyone, irrespective of age, position, sexuality, colour or anything else, spending this or any day alone, scared, vulnerable or sad when he or she doesn’t want to.

I was a lonely, frightened teenager on the streets not knowing where my next meal was coming from, if I’d survive the coming winter or indeed the next night if I was attacked. How can any government turn its back on the thousands who feel the same every single night? Why do we allow it to happen?

I wanted to help today so applied to 26, yes 26, different charities offering my assistance. 7 turned me down insisting I had to offer a minimum of a 3 week commitment which I simply wasn’t able to do. The other 19 including Centrepoint, Crisis, St Mungo’s and even the Salvation Army didn’t even bother to reply. Maybe it’s just me they took a collective objection to but I find that utterly disgusting.

In the end I decided on my own initiative and yesterday bought enough sandwiches, drinks, sweets and toiletries for 32 people. This morning I packed it all into a bag along with emergency advice and numbers and walked round central London in the torrential rain just looking for any homeless people. Whenever I found any, I greeted them with a cheerful but soggy ‘Good Morning’ and offered any supplies or help I could. Most gratefully and politely accepted but as the hours passed, I became more and more depressed.

A few people refused my help as clearly they were trying to avoid any connection with sobriety and reality. One woman told me straight out, with a half empty vodka bottle in her hand, that she was just waiting to die. This is London in 2012, a city that’s just hosted the Olympic Games and had the eyes of the world on it. Please forgive my language but why the f**k is this still going on? Why the hell are there people who feel so utterly abandoned that a slow alcohol induced suicide is preferable to any glimmer of hope?

Despite my public profile and limited celebrity, I don’t have much money but after visiting the Strand and Covent Garden, my bag was already pretty much empty. This was before I’d even reached Charing Cross and Embankment where I knew I’d find much more need. Fortunately Pret a Manger branches were open so I expensively restocked and headed off. Within the hour the rain in my eyes didn’t matter any more as I was crying so much. A dozen people crowded into a corner by the train station, another group down the side street and my supplies, which I couldn’t afford to restock again were virtually gone by the time I reached the Thames. A few more handouts were all I could manage and I didn’t even make the smallest scratch in the tip of the iceberg.

I’m fully aware that even at my lowest ebb I had physical and intellectual gifts most don’t but I even I thought about giving up. 33 months sleeping in doorways and staircases nearly finished me off so what sort of devastating effect must it have on those for whom it’s the only way of life?

There are services provided and people who care but they’re not always accessible, as evidenced by the stunning lack of replies I had. Some people are too scared, too institutionalised or too marginalised to seek out the help they need. Even so, some are refused assistance if they have a criminal record, are sick, the wrong age or even the wrong sexuality or religion. Again forgive me but what the f**k?

Imagine a 17 year old gay man forced out onto the street by violent homophobia and abuse. Terrified, completely alone and incapable, he must sleep rough, beg and search through bins. Prostitution, vagrancy or crime are his only options so he does what he has to in order to stay alive even though he’s not sure he wants or deserves to.

That was my life. How can I possibly stand by and let anyone else go through the same?

I am as mad as hell and so terribly sad at the same time. Tonight, Christmas Day, a person somewhere in England will start sleeping on the streets for the first time.

Just spend a moment to consider that last sentence. For whatever reason he or she has been brought to that decision, it is a shameful scandal that homelessness is often an unavoidable choice.

I cannot just sit by and let this disgusting cycle continue. I know that with something of a profile I can say things that will rouse some interest (although never enough for a newspaper or broadcaster to get involved as it’s still a case of ‘if we don’t mention it, it doesn’t exist’) but how could I live with myself if I didn’t at least try? My efforts may be wasted but at least I’m doing what little I can but without local and national government support, nothing will improve. Maybe as someone who isn’t afraid or ashamed to be open about everything I went through and put up with in order to continue living, my words might eventually fall on the ears of someone who cares enough to listen. However, I’ve contacted over 25 radio stations, papers and television channels in relation to discussing homelessness and have, unsurprisingly, been deafened by the silence in response.

People are forced to sleep on the streets where many of them will live out their lives. We wake up each morning and walk out onto the streets where fellow human beings have died during the night. Died.

Please, I implore, contact your council, your MP, Parliament, anyone at all and ask them to tackle this horrible situation. Just retweet the link to this article, a homeless charity’s website, anything at all, please!

Most of all, just remember that any soul you see huddled in a doorway generally isn’t there by choice but is unable to find a way out. A kind word, a sympathetic ear or a just a smile can help. I was that friendless, frightened soul and know all too well what it’s like. 

So many walked past and usually I hoped to be ignored - insults, spitting, kicking and much worse were unfortunately and inevitably par for the course. I do hope if you’ve read this far you wouldn’t have ignored me in that doorway so perhaps you’ll remember me the next time you see someone else.

Thank you, CJ x

For further details, please see my full blog at http://cjdemooi.tumblr.com or follow me on Twitter at @cjdemooi

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CJ from Eggheads fame was homeless in his younger days and has been on campaign lately to get something done about homelessness. His most recent blog posting - thoughts?

From my point of view CJ is treating them all as if they had gone through his experience.

There are many types of homelessness, and the junky/jakey ones are the hardest to deal with. Take them off the streets and they will still be a junky/jakey and will resent you for taking them away from their friends and a life that is 'comfortable' (they know how to get bye so it is no challenge if that makes sense). Put them in a rehab place and they will resent you for that.

The ones that have lost hope and are waiting to die? You could see that in most towns in people that have homes. Again, difficult to resolve.

Ones that have lost their way due to redundancy etc? Sounds harsh but buy a tent and move. More chance of a job and a tent is less than a third of a weeks basic giro.Sitting in a city will rot your soul.

And as an aside, when I worked in a Housing Dept in nineteen canteen, I am sure there was a report that said that for every year that you were homeless, once rehoused it would take the same time again to fully adjust back into'normality'...

I can quite believe it.

This is quite an emotive thread to be honest.

I propose the following:

There is a BRILLIANT charity that I know of called Move On (http://www.moveon.org.uk/).

Who would be up for doing a sponsored 2 night tent (I can provide all the equipment, food and gear) in the near future to raise funds for this cause?

Hell- it might even make for a half decent thread on here.

PM me or reply to this thread if interested?

I worked in a homeless hostel over Christmas and I was surprised that it wasn't that bad a place, although it was full to the gunnels so some poor sods couldn't even darken its doorstep. Every room had an en-suite and they were fed three hearty meals a day. There was a mixture of truly desperate junkies and mentally-ill people, well-dressed articulate guys who were down on the luck, and one guy who had been in there a year and a half despite being offered at least 3 different homes. His reason for turning down these flats was that he wanted to bring his family over from Asia, but he didn't want a house without a separate dining room, so that his guests wouldn't have to watch him while he cooked. huh.gif

My mate ended up sleeping on my families couch for 6 months after being thrown out, his folks eventually took him back, but he was truly depressed during that time.

I was speaking to someone I once went to school with who was sleeping rough for a week because his folks threw him out and he had no family that would take him in, last I heard he had inherited his mothers house after she died and had moved into there.

I have a lot of sympathy for people in this position and I am more than happy to give spare change, and I make a point of doing so as much as I can.

Unless the homeless person is sat right next to a cash machine, watches me take out a £20 note, then asks if I have any money. That does nothing but annoy me, and nobody employing these sneaky tactics will get so much as a penny from me.

Is it bad that I feel awful if I see a dog with a homeless person but not too bothered if homeless person is alone?

I got my dog from an abandoned dog charity and don't want to see any animal suffer.

My girlfriend once gave a homeless guy a fortune just because he had a dog with him.

I have a lot of sympathy for people in this position and I am more than happy to give spare change, and I make a point of doing so as much as I can.

Unless the homeless person is sat right next to a cash machine, watches me take out a £20 note, then asks if I have any money. That does nothing but annoy me, and nobody employing these sneaky tactics will get so much as a penny from me.

I was waiting for a cash machine once and the homeless guy next to it asked the guy in front of me if he had some change once he'd taken his cash out. The bloke said he only had notes, so the homeless guy pulled out £19 worth of change and offered him the swap. :lol:

I never give homeless folk change myself, partly because it won't help them and also because I'm usually skint enough myself. I hate it when people just ignore them and pretend they don't exist though, just say sorry and walk away but don't act like they aren't people FFS. Really annoys me.

This is quite an emotive thread to be honest.

I propose the following:

There is a BRILLIANT charity that I know of called Move On (http://www.moveon.org.uk/).

Who would be up for doing a sponsored 2 night tent (I can provide all the equipment, food and gear) in the near future to raise funds for this cause?

Hell- it might even make for a half decent thread on here.

PM me or reply to this thread if interested?

Could be an idea. I know alot of people on here expressed an interest in camping this year from reading the '13 for 13' topic

Being homeless is one of my biggest fears. How far would you have to fall to not rely on a partner, family and friends to help you out. Grim.

Also if I was homeless I reckon id take to the wild Ray Mears style.

I was waiting for a cash machine once and the homeless guy next to it asked the guy in front of me if he had some change once he'd taken his cash out. The bloke said he only had notes, so the homeless guy pulled out £19 worth of change and offered him the swap. :lol:

Similarly, a few months back I was out in Edinburgh and there was a beggar sitting by the cash machine next to Tesco express across the road from the Playhouse who was a bit of a c**t. Threw away an empty bottle of cider and was giving abuse to a few Glaswegians out on a night out for not giving him more money after using the machine. It is a shame, as people remember incidents such as that which denies others.

Some story by Wunfellaff. Hopefully things look up for you in the future!

I know one Liverpudlian 'tramp' known as 'Willie The Dump' up in Sutherland who lives next to the council dump (funnily enough) in an abandoned caravan. However, although you think he looks a bit rough, you see him quite regularly walking around the village like any other guy, doing the odd grass-cutting job for a tenner and he says he has a decent life albeit without lecky. It would be more fair to call it a waste disposal centre actually with everything sorted into the separate bins. He just goes through them and finds half used (if used at all actually) gear and still decent clothes which folk have just shrunk a bit in the wash or whatever. Can be rather harsh in the winter however and folk leave him food or in some cases even invite him around for dinner and a beer. He'd be fucked in the city.

As an aside, one of my mates up there found a Dyson hoover there. Just needed one wee part replaced but someone threw it away thinking it was hopelessly done for. Bargain!

Interesting read. Probably the most civilised thread that i've ever read on P&B..

I'm currently doing a small project centred around homeless people. (I'm a BB Officer.. Hoping that the good nature of this thread continues here..)

As part of a book called "Challenge Plus" boys' are given the chance to partake in several projects that gain them different awards etc. One particular challenge in said book is centred around homelessness and what it really means. Boys' are given the opportunity, through different materials, to learn all about homelessness and are given the chance to work alongside a local hostel or homeless shelter. The lads get to hear stories from homeless people and in the end are supposed to recognise that not everyone is the stereotypical "Homeless Junkie/Jakey" and that people end up on the street for a whole variety of reasons.

The aforementioned project concludes by giving the boys' participating a chance to sleep rough for one night.. (This isn'f forced)

The insight and knowledge i have gained is quite phenomenal. I really couldn't begin to comprehend having to sleep rough on a regular basis.

In Sweden in 2011 they had an estimated 280 people living on the streets in the whole country!

Can't imagine too many faring well on the streets of the rather expensive Stockholm during the Scandinavian winter tbf.

Guest The Phoenix

Can't imagine too many faring well on the streets of the rather expensive Stockholm during the Scandinavian winter tbf.

1345932-people-stockholm--help-homeless-whole-world-melting.jpg

Archived