Homelessness

Why do homeless people always have dogs? If you can't afford to feed yourself, get rid of the dog.

You know fine well that some idiots walk past a homeless guy and think "ach, another stupid drop-out" but would think "awww, poor dog" and be much more likely to give them something if the very same guy had one.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't targeted at you. Serious question, how much does it take to feed a dog for a week?

Fair 'do's.....Depends on the dog I suppose.... it is a small collie I have and probably less than a fiver if no 'treats' (though I try to throw in a can of tuna every couple of days for her coat, and she gets part of whatever I scoff too)

Living on the streets must be one of the loneliest existences known, so it's not surprising that many decide to get a dog for companionship. I met a homeless guy in Glasgow who had a dog about six months ago. I got chatting with him and it turned out he had served in the army, came home after leaving the forces and his wife threw him out. Felt really bad for him as that could happen to most. I asked him what he would do if I gave him money and he was pretty honest, saying that he would get some cheap cider, but firstly he would get his dog some food (something which he insisted he always did first when he had cash).

One of the guys that begs in Glasgow City centre that i know has just been given a flat in Kennishead and he says he is lonely there and sometimes he wishes he was still sleeping rough.I asked him how and he just said he always has someome watching his back when he slept rough.

Been there off and on in the last 5 years, sometimes by choice (had just turned 40 when it happened first). And I don't mean kipping on someones coach as being homeless.

Don't give them money, food etc, they get dependant.

Brilliant to get a personal side to the discussion.

If you don't mind, I'd welcome a more in-depth description of your story over the past 5 years, experiences etc.

Sorry you've had to go through tough times.

Guest The Phoenix

One of the guys that begs in Glasgow City centre that i know has just been given a flat in Kennishead and he says he is lonely there and sometimes he wishes he was still sleeping rough.I asked him how and he just said he always has someome watching his back when he slept rough.

Better than watching most of the sh*te on TV these days, I suppose.

I could well imagine that, it is a very lonely existence when you're on your own in an area where you know absolutely no one. Not to mention that Kennishead is an utter shitehole.

Due to the massive cost of rent, people living in temporary housing aren't able to work, otherwise they would end up massively out of pocket, so can't even seek friendship through employment.

The system's fucked.

Basically i fall into the LUCKY b*****d catagory

never spent a night on the streets & was homeless for over a year , it was actually only a couple weeks at my mates house (& i did pay my way) until i was offered a temporary house in Linwood & stayed there until i was offered a council house of my own

Brilliant to get a personal side to the discussion.

If you don't mind, I'd welcome a more in-depth description of your story over the past 5 years, experiences etc.

Sorry you've had to go through tough times.

lol, eh, well............. First 40 years of life were non descript general West of Scotland boy life. After I hit the Big 4 , 0 it all went tits. Had moved to Lewis after buying 2nd house whilst renting out flat in Edinburgh, got dog (s), split up from partner who took me for everything leaving me with £25k+ debt in my name whilst keeping both properties.

Ferry back to mainland with aforementioned dog, rucksack, tent and £50. Applied for work, got job, after a while got car. Slept in car for 18 months. Got in b+b who took dogs but got diagnosed with cancer of el bollocks minimum at this point (this was when joined P+B). Not going into it, the posts are there I think, embarrasing ailments thread from the time??? I think ? gives that aspect.

Had ops, went back to same job and living in car again as Winter struck. Next year moved in with next partner on wee isle that was only home to us, no mains leccy, phone etc.

Split up again and back to car etc etc etc...

Been a crazy 5 years and employed through all bar the 3 months I took off for recuperation. Gone through 7 cars/vans + 1 boat. Been charged with numerous driving offences with only one pishy 'no MOT' which stuck and was no points and £60 :lol: fine.

Defended myself in Sherrif Court over the £25k bank debt (which was a legit loan) and they dropped the case 8).

Probably a breenge o' other stuff that escapes me just now, but all in all, a hulluva 5 years.

Basically i fall into the LUCKY b*****d catagory

never spent a night on the streets & was homeless for over a year , it was actually only a couple weeks at my mates house (& i did pay my way) until i was offered a temporary house in Linwood & stayed there until i was offered a council house of my own

I hope you called it "troll towers".

lol, eh, well............. First 40 years of life were non descript general West of Scotland boy life. After I hit the Big 4 , 0 it all went tits. Had moved to Lewis after buying 2nd house whilst renting out flat in Edinburgh, got dog (s), split up from partner who took me for everything leaving me with £25k+ debt in my name whilst keeping both properties.

Ferry back to mainland with aforementioned dog, rucksack, tent and £50. Applied for work, got job, after a while got car. Slept in car for 18 months. Got in b+b who took dogs but got diagnosed with cancer of el bollocks minimum at this point (this was when joined P+B). Not going into it, the posts are there I think, embarrasing ailments thread from the time??? I think ? gives that aspect.

Had ops, went back to same job and living in car again as Winter struck. Next year moved in with next partner on wee isle that was only home to us, no mains leccy, phone etc.

Been a crazy 5 years and employed through all bar the 3 months I took off for recuperation. Gone through 7 cars/vans + 1 boat. Been charged with numerous driving offences with only one pishy 'no MOT' which stuck and was no points and £60 :lol: fine.

Defended myself in Sherrif Court over the £25k bank debt (which was a legit loan) and they dropped the case 8).

Probably a breenge o' other stuff that escapes me just now, but all in all, a hulluva 5 years.

Thanks for sharing that, must have been quite difficult to post that, I imagine.

I don't think I would be wrong in saying that most people would have been pushed to the very edge to have gone through even half of that within the last five years. Absolute kudos to you.

Thanks for sharing that, must have been quite difficult to post that, I imagine.

I don't think I would be wrong in saying that most people would have been pushed to the very edge to have gone through even half of that within the last five years. Absolute kudos to you.

Agree with Adam here.

Thanks mate.

And the next 5 years? What do you envisage?

Cheers Adam, been as it has been down to my stubborness a lot of it. Could have had a flat when I got job but sans doggie. Not an option. If you trawl back on my fb there might be stuff from my time on the isle as that was when I joined there, but no photos of cars therafter with '' 'like' for me kipping here'' lol......

Thanks mate.

And the next 5 years? What do you envisage?

Now that is harder.

Trying, as Sevco would say, to get a warchest of 10k to go to the Court of Session to get some cash from the ex.

Also applying for unpaid wardens gig on isle where I was, as girlfriend has quit, but tried last year too and as the Trust running it didn't care for her I am tarred with same brush. Though this would give me a roof and I could do it in conjunction with my job.

Can't really go for 'normal' life as I would never get the 10k together.

Never make plans is what I have learned so for 5 years time, I could not say.

Now that is harder.

Trying, as Sevco would say, to get a warchest of 10k to go to the Court of Session to get some cash from the ex.

Also applying for unpaid wardens gig on isle where I was, as girlfriend has quit, but tried last year too and as the Trust running it didn't care for her I am tarred with same brush. Though this would give me a roof and I could do it in conjunction with my job.

Can't really go for 'normal' life as I would never get the 10k together.

Never make plans is what I have learned so for 5 years time, I could not say.

As the UK Subs once said.....

well i live in a car,

yeah i live in a car

well i ain't got no television set or stereo

cos i live in a car

don't try to call me up on the telephone

cos i won't be home,

i live in a car

well i live in a car,

yeah i live in a car

well i ain't got no yard,

no i.d.card cos

i live in a car

cops try to get me

but i don't care

i'm never there

yeah i live in a car

They don't mention having a dug though.

The song starts at 1:05.

As the UK Subs once said.....

:D preferred ''I lost my love to a UK Sub''..now that proved the Subs were Beasts! (can't remember who sung it)

And not in a car just now :P (camper van m'kay? ) unless I take car up the hills if it nice and spend a weekend there.

Archived