General Motor Sport Discussion

CooCoothenoo

Anyone else see Billy Munger's horrifying crash in the F4 earlier? Absolutely horrific stuff which ended in him being airlifted to hospital with leg injuries after being stuck in the car for a while.

Was in the car for over 90 minutes before they could extract him.

On 2017-4-16 at 23:39, Mr. Brightside said:

Anyone else see Billy Munger's horrifying crash in the F4 earlier? Absolutely horrific stuff which ended in him being airlifted to hospital with leg injuries after being stuck in the car for a while.

Came on here to post just that. Tragically Billy has lost both of his legs. I'm absolutely devastated for him. I can't remember ever feeling so connected to a major incident before - he is only a couple of years younger than me, and has been on the Toca package for a few years so you feel as if you get to know drivers a bit.

Anyway, Tom Ingram (BTCC driver for those of you not in the know) and the guys at JHR (his team) have set up a just giving page. I've had it confirmed that it's legit by the Toca medics, so if you can spare anything then please donate.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/billymonger23

I hope he takes inspiration from Zanardi after this. Arguably one of the most inspirational guys involved in sport full stop. 

Was watching the live coverage and they were actually on board with his car at the time it happened.

It was an absolutely brutal impact and I feared straight away that it might be even worse than it has turned out.

Hope the laddie makes as full a recovery as he possibly can.

• 3 weeks later...

There is live coverage of the NW200 tonight on the BBC website, just look for the Northern Ireland section of BBC's Sport page's and there should be a link there.

Early today was the practice/qualifying and in the last session John McGuiness had an off and it's reported he has broken his leg, nothing confirmed as yet although Honda have confirmed he suffered a leg injury but was conscious throughout.  I've been racking my brain trying to think when the last time McGuiness had an off on the roads and apart from last year at Quarterbridge during the Manx GP/Classic TT races I can't think of many off's for him.  Just reiterates how dangerous road racing is.

Indy 500 practice started today, the man all eyes are on, Fernando Alonso, put in a fastest lap above 223 MPH with his teammate Marco Andretti logging the fastest of the day at over 226 MPH but that was with a pretty strong tow.  2013 Indy 500 winner Tony Kanaan had the fastest "no tow" speed at a hair over 223.5 MPH.   Only incident of the day was British rookie Jack Harvey who had a steering problem on his out lap slapping the wall in turn 2.  Indy, being different from all other races, has a full week of practice before 2 days of qualifying, followed by yet another practice day, then a week of media work followed by 1 hour on the Friday before the race and then race day.  My mate and I are leaving Ottawa bright and early next Wednesday morning to drive down to Indy, it's a mere 13-14 hours and 900 miles to drive!  It's a long day but not too bad with 2 drivers, plus the beer tastes extra nice once we get to Indianapolis.  I'll post some pictures from my adventures down there!

Alonso mixing it well and learning the draft in the last happy hour of practice. It's been good having six hours of practice to watch every day this week to dip into (have on the laptop constantly ). Alonso ends up 4th quickest today with speed of 225.619mph. Turbos turned up on Friday so should be good if the weather holds up.

Looks like final "Fast Friday" practice is done and dusted.  Sebastien Bourdais was fastest of the day at over 233 MPH although Ryan Hunter-Reay had the fastest "no-tow" speed with a 231.2.  Most teams were doing qualifying sim runs, Alonso's fastest lap was a 231.8, with fastest "no-tow" speed being a 230.9.  IMS is extremely weather sensitive so if it's cool and not windy in qualifying on the weekend then there could be some pretty good speeds.  The 4 lap average qualifying runs require a lot of concentration so any wind gusts can cause problems.

A couple of young drivers, Spencer Pigot and Zach Veach both crashed but were unhurt today.  

Edit: forgot to add that Alonso's best overall speed was 4th fastest and best no-tow speed was 5th fastest

Edited by senorsoupe

On 2017-5-19 at 23:53, jimmy boo said:

Going by his performance this week, I wouldn't be surprised if Alonso qualifies in the first 3 rows. Anyway, got FS1 back now for all star quality.

He's through to the fast nine so he'll be guaranteed first three rows regardless of what happens. Tremendous effort. Due to the length of the race I always feel qualifying at Indy and Le Mans isn't that vital (Dario started something ridiculous like 18th last time he won Indy and got spun early on) however it's still fantastic from Alonso.

11 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Huge crash in qualifying for Bourdais, looks like the car got loose and when he steered into the skid the car griped and he went into the wall hard.

Sounds silly saying it about a guy who has several broken bones but he's a lucky boy. Not too long ago they'd have been calling for a priest rather than a doctor after a crash like that.

I'm glad that Bourdais wasn't more seriously injured but I'm gutted for him being out for a while.  He's had such a good season so far driving for one of the smallest budget teams.  It was a really hard hit, thankfully he hit the SAFER barrier or else it could have been much worse.

9 hours ago, Stu said:

He's through to the fast nine so he'll be guaranteed first three rows regardless of what happens. Tremendous effort. Due to the length of the race I always feel qualifying at Indy and Le Mans isn't that vital (Dario started something ridiculous like 18th last time he won Indy and got spun early on) however it's still fantastic from Alonso.

That is quite true, although qualifying higher up helps reduce the risk of getting involved in someone else's accident in the early laps, the 3 wide start means that it can get very congested in the first laps.  In 2012 Dario started 16th, it was a weird year because it was the first of the new turbo engine formula and the Chevrolet's were faster but the Honda's were more fuel efficient meaning that by the end it was the Honda cars up front.  I was sitting closer to the start/finish straight that year (in what's called B stand) and it was a pretty epic battle at the finish.  I was pulling for Takuma Sato to win but he ended up doing a Sato on the last lap and crashing while going for the lead.  

12 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

That is quite true, although qualifying higher up helps reduce the risk of getting involved in someone else's accident in the early laps, the 3 wide start means that it can get very congested in the first laps.  In 2012 Dario started 16th, it was a weird year because it was the first of the new turbo engine formula and the Chevrolet's were faster but the Honda's were more fuel efficient meaning that by the end it was the Honda cars up front.  I was sitting closer to the start/finish straight that year (in what's called B stand) and it was a pretty epic battle at the finish.  I was pulling for Takuma Sato to win but he ended up doing a Sato on the last lap and crashing while going for the lead.  

Yeah it reduces the risk but qualifying midfield isn't the disaster it would be in F1.

Anyway, Alonso only managed to qualify fifth. Poor show ;)

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Yeah it reduces the risk but qualifying midfield isn't the disaster it would be in F1.

Anyway, Alonso only managed to qualify fifth. Poor show ;)

Middle of row 2 should be safe, although he be a bit worried about having Sato next to him.  IMS is really sensitive to wind and a lot of drivers were getting caught on the exit of turn 2, a couple of guys brushed the wall.  In the end the cream rises to the top and the best driver in Indycar, Scott Dixon, put together as perfect a 4 lap qualifying run as you will ever see.   He was smooth and consistent, especially through the troublesome turn 2