NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

28 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

JJ Watt is retiring at the end of the season. 

I’m pretty positive he will make the Hall of Fame, but does he deserve to be inducted in his first year of eligibility? 

Yes, he does. 3x DPOTY, in his prime he was one of the best to have ever done it. Only thing that stops it is if Brady, Rodgers and Donald all go this year as well, but I don’t think they will. 

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Tua back in concussion protocol, seemingly due to hitting his head on the turf during the 2nd quarter of Sunday's game.

Obviously raises some serious questions.

Wasn't spotted at the time either, apparently he reported he had symptoms himself on Monday.

Well that's one of the questions. You have to wonder how it was missed when the NFL is supposedly monitoring every play, and the fact that it's a player with his recent history. I've seen other instances of the game being stopped and a player hauled off to the blue tent over the past couple of months, so I was under the impression they were all over this. It's strange that it can happen to a QB and nobody notices. Herbert got pulled into the tent just before half time a couple of weeks back after hitting the back of his head on the ground during a sack, so whether they are just following the ball rather than monitoring individual players I don't know. Seems odd it was missed though.

I find this completely baffling. He doesn't need to be staggering around or flat out on the ground. The back of his his head clearly strikes the ground with a fair old thump. This alone has been more than enough for the game to be delayed while other players are removed from the field and evaluated, so I don't understand why this did not happen in this case, unless they simply missed it, or unless the different people monitoring various games have totally different ideas about what the updated procedures are supposed to do.

I get that the compulsory check is not in itself 'the concussion protocol', but I just can't understand why there was no check after that incident when there has been for similar incidents in other games, and as I said, given that it's the same player that was the victim in the nonsense that started this, you'd think they'd be extra-vigilant.

I'm bemused by the homers who are still trying to defend Derwin James and are insistent that call was wrong. The guy was the victim of a questionable non-call, but he completely lost his mind, tried to take out his frustration by levelling a ball carrier, got it completely wrong, and was guilty of an egregious illegal hit. The ejection was absolutely warranted and he's lucky he's not being suspended.

The arguments about 'he hit pad first' are ridiculous. He led with the crown of the helmet, he wasn't looking at the ball carrier, and he hit him in the helmet as a result. Where precisely the first contact occurred is irrelevant, it was flagrantly dangerous, and he had quite clearly lost his mind as he attempted to tackle the ball carrier on the previous play by ripping his fucking helmet off!

I love DJIII and I've seen nothing before now that makes me believe he's an inherently dirty player. He thumps people, but he does it perfectly legally normally and he's as good an example of a regular form-tackler as there is playing DB in the NFL, but that hit was just stupid, dangerous, intentional, and illegal. It beggars belief there are people trying to defend it.

33 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm bemused by the homers who are still trying to defend Derwin James and are insistent that call was wrong. The guy was the victim of a questionable non-call, but he completely lost his mind, tried to take out his frustration by levelling a ball carrier, got it completely wrong, and was guilty of an egregious illegal hit. The ejection was absolutely warranted and he's lucky he's not being suspended.

The arguments about 'he hit pad first' are ridiculous. He led with the crown of the helmet, he wasn't looking at the ball carrier, and he hit him in the helmet as a result. Where precisely the first contact occurred is irrelevant, it was flagrantly dangerous, and he had quite clearly lost his mind as he attempted to tackle the ball carrier on the previous play by ripping his fucking helmet off!

I love DJIII and I've seen nothing before now that makes me believe he's an inherently dirty player. He thumps people, but he does it perfectly legally normally and he's as good an example of a regular form-tackler as there is playing DB in the NFL, but that hit was just stupid, dangerous, intentional, and illegal. It beggars belief there are people trying to defend it.

It’s a ferocious hit. I’d say even 5 years ago that would have been classed as a legal hit.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

It’s a ferocious hit. I’d say even 5 years ago that would have been classed as a legal hit.

Hmm...

Said often enough that I don't believe in the concept of a 'defenceless receiver', but I think any time you lead with the helmet and don't look at what you are hitting it should automatically be a penalty regardless of outcome.

Quite pertinent that one of the outcomes is that James himself has ended up in concussion protocol. I used to watch idiot-supreme Jahleel Addae try to do similar things (and mostly whiff entirely) and on the odd occasion he did make contact with the ball carrier it was usually Addae who got up acting like he'd just been hit in the face with a sledgehammer and had elastic bands for legs.

I don't mind seeing offensive players being wiped out provided the hit is legal, but it's as often the player trying to lay the wood who hurts himself these days. I suppose the NFL's campaign to drive it out of the game has succeeded in one respect - it's so infrequent these days that nobody actually remembers how to ring someone's bell without making a complete arse of it.

Just sniggering a wee bit that through the 7 weeks Jerry Tillery was on the Chargers roster the team were 29th in EPA/play allowed, and since they cut him that has improved to 10th in EPA/play allowed. 

It's not as simple as binning one liability accounting for all of that differential, but it's a significant part of it.

35 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

How long is left on his deal?

3 years, but he can be cut for a $7m (I think) dead cap hit this year. Obviously the team would prefer to trade him, but if they can’t then they’ll move on anyway and take the hit.

15 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

3 years, but he can be cut for a $7m (I think) dead cap hit this year. Obviously the team would prefer to trade him, but if they can’t then they’ll move on anyway and take the hit.

Has he been that bad? Got to wonder how Adams feels about this. IM sure they are best mates and have been since collage 

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Has he been that bad? Got to wonder how Adams feels about this. IM sure they are best mates and have been since collage 

I’ve always quite liked Carr, but he is who he is. 9 years of purgatory with him. Will lose enough games to keep you out of the playoffs but win too many to ever draft high enough to pick a replacement.

I’d rather it was McDaniels who was leaving, but no chance of that happening so might as well see who else we can try at QB at this point.

10 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I’ve always quite liked Carr, but he is who he is. 9 years of purgatory with him. Will lose enough games to keep you out of the playoffs but win too many to ever draft high enough to pick a replacement.

I’d rather it was McDaniels who was leaving, but no chance of that happening so might as well see who else we can try at QB at this point.

He’s not even practicing. He’s stepping away from the team apparently 

I think Carr will get traded, possibly even cut outright if nobody bites early.

I could see him thriving in a situation like NYJ where he has a solid roster around him, a good running game to support him, and decent, stable coaching. He is not and never has been an elite NFL starter, but he is absolutely good enough to take an otherwise solid team into the playoffs. It has never quite clicked for him in Oakland/LV, but that organisation has been dysfunctional for for nearly 20 years which covers the entirety of his time there. There have been so many false dawns in Raiderland. I can see the sense in moving on from Carr, but he's far from the biggest problem they've had over the past while.

This upcoming draft could be silly. Last time I looked I counted about 12-14 teams who could conceivably be after a QB early.

Edited by Boo Khaki