NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I would be delighted with our Bengals game on Christmas Eve if I lived in the US, but sadly kicking off at 1.25am on Christmas morning UK time doesn't float my boat so much.

Notice that there is no bye week coming off the Wembly game for the Colts.  Absolutely brutal and I notice that this is the only game where this is the case and, if memory serves, this has not happened before.

I wonder if this will have an impact.  It feels rather unfair TBH and I think if there was to be a test, it should be with a team that agreed to the deal (i.e. the Jags)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653379/article/colts-first-team-not-given-bye-week-post-london

Edited by strichener

Notice that there is no bye week coming off the Wembly game for the Colts.  Absolutely brutal and I notice that this is the only game where this is the case and, if memory serves, this has not happened before.

I wonder if this will have an impact.  It feels rather unfair TBH and I think if there was to be a test, it should be with a team that agreed to the deal (i.e. the Jags)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653379/article/colts-first-team-not-given-bye-week-post-london

Your feelings of injustice don't really have merit when it emerges that the Colts requested they didn't have the bye week then, in order to avoid an early bye.

Your feelings of injustice don't really have merit when it emerges that the Colts requested they didn't have the bye week then, in order to avoid an early bye.

It wasn't reported like that at the time nor have the Colts confirmed that they asked for it.

However if they did then I will gladly call the organisation out on it as it is utter madness.

ETA: Although nothing official from the colts, the message boards are almost unanimous that we asked for this.  We do ourselves no favours.  I am not sure how much negotiating took place over the game date but by god have we fucked it up

Edited by strichener

If there is to be any life in a long term franchise in the UK, a team having a bye immediately after playing here isn't going to work. Someone had to try it at some point. A lot riding on the results of the the first few to do it.

If there is to be any life in a long term franchise in the UK, a team having a bye immediately after playing here isn't going to work. Someone had to try it at some point. A lot riding on the results of the the first few to do it.

I think it will happen eventually regardless tbh. Money talks in the NFL. It will be sooner though if teams results are not hurt by the lack of a bye week after.

If teams can play on a Sunday on the West Coast then a Thursday on the East Coast they can play a Sunday in the UK then a Sunday in the US.

The fair way would be to give byes to the three divisional rivals who have to play there every year. The others wouldn't get byes but they'd only have to play in London once every three-four years so no great hardship.

If teams can play on a Sunday on the West Coast then a Thursday on the East Coast they can play a Sunday in the UK then a Sunday in the US.

The fair way would be to give byes to the three divisional rivals who have to play there every year. The others wouldn't get byes but they'd only have to play in London once every three-four years so no great hardship.

It's not really the same though is it? There is a lot more media commitments for the international series.

Browner back to the Hawks, he was an absolute penalty machine while at the saints!

As bad as the defence has been I don't think Browner will be missed

Mmm "most penalties in a single season since 2001" does not full me with confidence http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653647/article/brandon-browner-rejoining-seattle-seahawks

Browner is an interesting one. Been poor since he left Seattle and indeed a complete liability at New Orleans. He was however a machine at Seahawks and an important cog of the defence. I see he also said he was playing injured all last year.