NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

As predicted Carr has informed the Raiders he will veto any trade leaving them no option but to cut him outright in the next couple of days. What a mess they made of this.

Top player in the free agent pool? 

33 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Top player in the free agent pool? 

Probably because of the position he plays, but I don't think he's necessarily any better a QB than Jimmy Garappolo. Neither is elite or even near-elite, but they're both more than capable of taking an otherwise strong team into the post-season. 

My guess is Carr probably ends up a Saint in any case now that the due diligence is done, and I think he'd be far better off there than any of the QB-needy teams with picks in the top half of the draft because none of them look a QB away from being competitive anyway. It just didn't make sense for either party to agree a trade and re-work because the only beneficiary there is LV.

Not long to go…. Announce the international series matchups and dates, the draft, training camps, Hard Knocks….Sean Peyton transforming Denver into a credible AFC West contender with a functioning offense & QB…. So aye, the matchups, draft, camp, and Hard Knocks. Bring them on. 😎

12 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

If anyone is suffering from immediate FOOTBALL withdrawl the XFL kicks off this weekend.

And with watching the SuperBowl on game pass i am pretty certain that the USFL starts in 8 weeks (april)

i only saw the 32 adverts for it. you couldn't have guessed that it was a FOX league.

Carr officially released. 

Nice to have at least one interesting thing happening during what is usually the most boring month of the entire off-season. Talk is the Jets are heavily interested but see Carr as a fallback option if they can't get Rodgers. I think that's a bit moot anyway because it means they'd have to be actively attempting to trade for Rodgers right now or risk Carr signing elsewhere, and I can't see any team putting themselves in a position where they actively hand their potential trade partner all the aces. Rumour is McDaniels really likes the idea of Jimmy G in LV, and I honestly think all the talk is just yet more of the annual Aaron Rodgers circus and he ultimately stays in GB, so Carr really could turn out to be the only real viable vet QB on the market for the teams who don't have a shot at Bryce Young, Levis, or Stroud. Some talk of the 9'ers trading away Trey Lance, but I can't see it unless someone makes a stupid offer because Purdy's surgery is more often a 1 year recovery thing than it is a 6 month thing. If Lance is traded I think that would be much later in the year once it's absolutely clear Purdy is going to be fit and healthy for opening day, and I don't believe Lance currently has the value that would tempt a team to give up something big and hand him the starting gig anyway. He's shown nothing in two seasons, so I think the idea of some team giving up multiple picks is fanciful.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Carr officially released. 

Nice to have at least one interesting thing happening during what is usually the most boring month of the entire off-season. Talk is the Jets are heavily interested but see Carr as a fallback option if they can't get Rodgers. I think that's a bit moot anyway because it means they'd have to be actively attempting to trade for Rodgers right now or risk Carr signing elsewhere, and I can't see any team putting themselves in a position where they actively hand their potential trade partner all the aces. Rumour is McDaniels really likes the idea of Jimmy G in LV, and I honestly think all the talk is just yet more of the annual Aaron Rodgers circus and he ultimately stays in GB, so Carr really could turn out to be the only real viable vet QB on the market for the teams who don't have a shot at Bryce Young, Levis, or Stroud. Some talk of the 9'ers trading away Trey Lance, but I can't see it unless someone makes a stupid offer because Purdy's surgery is more often a 1 year recovery thing than it is a 6 month thing. If Lance is traded I think that would be much later in the year once it's absolutely clear Purdy is going to be fit and healthy for opening day, and I don't believe Lance currently has the value that would tempt a team to give up something big and hand him the starting gig anyway. He's shown nothing in two seasons, so I think the idea of some team giving up multiple picks is fanciful.

Hard for Lance to have shown much given how little he has played. This season he played 1 full game, in a monsoon in Chicago. He might be good, he might not, but imo there isn't enough evidence either way yet to say for sure.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Hard for Lance to have shown much given how little he has played. This season he played 1 full game, in a monsoon in Chicago. He might be good, he might not, but imo there isn't enough evidence either way yet to say for sure.

Yes, the only point I was making is that I think a lot of people will overestimate his potential trade value because of his original draft slot, and ignore the fact that he's got no body of work and that he's half-way into his cheap rookie deal. In essence, I don't think Lance is anywhere near as tempting an option as some might think, hence why I don't believe trading him for a haul of picks is realistic.

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yes, the only point I was making is that I think a lot of people will overestimate his potential trade value because of his original draft slot, and ignore the fact that he's got no body of work and that he's half-way into his cheap rookie deal. In essence, I don't think Lance is anywhere near as tempting an option as some might think, hence why I don't believe trading him for a haul of picks is realistic.

Given the evidence of the previous stupidity of GMs when they get desperate for a QB then who knows, but I wouldn't expect him to be traded anyway, not unless the 49ers somehow managed to squeeze an experienced QB into the cap space in free Agency.

My $0.02:

Lance is in a no win situation because the 49’ers can’t afford to let him go, and likely won’t play him. He’s gonna play out his rookie contract there and move on as an enigma, a potential project for a QB whisperer like Payton (and the window to potentially get out from under Wilson opens in 2024, and is much wider in 2025 and 2026…and 2024 is the last year of Lance’s contract if they don’t opt for the fifth year).

Carr won’t be around for the Jets if they decide to delay to try for Rodgers, because the Jets are a cursed job anyway. I could see Aaron going to New York, just for the environment, the change and the legend it would cause if he could break the curse. Carr would be ideal in New Orleans, but he won’t restructure enough to let them into the party. That leaves Carr as a favorite to go to the Panthers…a stable O-line and a new offensive head coach in a weak division.

The Raiders probably are Jimmy G’s landing zone, and they’ll use the 7th pick to draft his replacement.

Then we have some stability with Geno Smith in Seattle, Andy Dalton in New Orleans, but Winston to the Colts (who almost signed him last year). With the Bucs and Commanders also sitting pat…that leaves Darnold out in the humidity…and going to the hell that is Houston.