Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we've had one unionist claim Scotland doesn't have it's own history or culture, and now we have a unionist run council wanting to take down the saltire and replace it with the UJ .despite only 8% of people living in Scotland consider themselves as "British only"

You have to wonder why these patriotic Scots (as they keep telling us they are) get so annoyed at all things Scottish?

Even out first minister can't wave a saltire without them getting offended

'Statistics' like this are absolutely pointless, what do you think the answer would be if you asked the same question in England, Wales or Northern Ireland ?

'Statistics' like this are absolutely pointless, what do you think the answer would be if you asked the same question in England, Wales or Northern Ireland ?

Why is it pointless? If the vast majority of people living in Scotland I density themselves as Scottish, wouldn't it be appropriate to fly the Saltire to reflect this?

No idea about the rest of the UK

Vietnam is a single party communist state ran by the general secretary of the local Communist party. North and South Vietnam having been united by a bloody decade long war that ended with the north invading the south after the US pulled out. What followed was a series of purges and collectivisations of the land, as well as it's ostracisation by the world.

That's a more positive case for a union than Better together can provide for ours

I think it would be substantially higher, for England at least, as "England" and "Britain" and "UK" are often used interchangeably

Why is it pointless? If the vast majority of people living in Scotland I density themselves as Scottish, wouldn't it be appropriate to fly the Saltire to reflect this?

No idea about the rest of the UK

It's pointless because only nutters would consider themselves British and British alone.

It's like asking a Texan or Hawaiian if they consider themselves 'only American', its not a very likely state of mind.

I think it would be substantially higher, for England at least, as "England" and "Britain" and "UK" are often used interchangeably

I think if you asked an English person whether they considered themselves only British, only English or both you would not get many answering only British.

I think if you asked an English person whether they considered themselves only British, only English or both you would not get many answering only British.

Stats are there in the census...but obviously it wasn't considered newsworthy. Have a dig and see what you find, because I have no idea either!

Stats are there in the census...but obviously it wasn't considered newsworthy. Have a dig and see what you find, because I have no idea either!

I thought it was the Scottish Social Attitudes Survey, rather than the Census (which in any case has a different format and questions North and South of the border) that collated this data?

It's pointless because only nutters would consider themselves British and British alone.

It's like asking a Texan or Hawaiian if they consider themselves 'only American', its not a very likely state of mind.

So if you went up to a guy with a north american accent and asked them where they came from, they'd say I'm a proud north carolinian, or a citizen of tenessee, or would they say they were from the US, and if probed further they'd then tell you what state they were from?

I thought it was the Scottish Social Attitudes Survey, rather than the Census (which in any case has a different format and questions North and South of the border) that collated this data?

Nope, census.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24282271

And I believe the census darn sarf has the same question regarding identity. I just can't see an equivalent news story that gives the clear equivalent answer.

Nope, census.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24282271And I believe the census darn sarf has the same question regarding identity. I just can't see an equivalent news story that gives the clear equivalent answer.

That article does not reference the 8% British only figure. Are you absolutely sure that is the question from the Census EA referred to?

So if you went up to a guy with a north american accent and asked them where they came from, they'd say I'm a proud north carolinian, or a citizen of tenessee, or would they say they were from the US, and if probed further they'd then tell you what state they were from?

They'd probably say they were from the US, although you're likely to find some who put state before country. But that's a completely different question that has absolutely no bearing on my point, if you asked them whether they were 'only american', 'only texan' or 'both' you would get very few chosing only American.

My anecdotal evidence would predict that they would provide you with *both* right at the start.

only nutters would consider themselves British and British alone.

:lol:

Made me laugh.

On a serious note, they're probably not as rare a breed as you think :green

_58510618_fan_ibrox.jpg

Interesting. It seems to back up similar findings by the SSAS then. Reasonably sure it's put British only at 8% before too.

I'm not sure why people thinks this especially informs the independence debate though. Save for a small part of each side's core vote, it's not about identity. You can feel "Scottish only" and be in favour of the Union just as you can be English and British, British only, English only, Pakistani only, Pakistani-British, English and Welsh and still be in favour of Scottish independence. Most people will make up their minds not on whether they "feel" a particular identity but which institutions will best serve what they perceive to be in the interests of them, their family and the society they live in.

As partial evidence of this disconnect between identity and strength of feeling for independence, look at the map in the Guardian article. True, the SNP base areas like Dundee, the Western Isles and Perth are quite strongly "Scottish only" and the Borders are quite weak, but outside of that, you've got Aberdeen and the shires, Moray, the Highlands, Argyll and Bute all being quite weakly "Scottish only" but Fife and Lanarkshire being quite strongly "Scottish only" despite (as of 2011, when the census was taken) being really quite strong Labour heartlands.

This is why I don't watch FMQs any more. Lamont actually makes me cringe whenever she speaks. I feel bad for her. And yet, according to the papers, she has Salmond's number? Well apparently so did Iain "Who?" Gray, according to the same papers.

How can the Labour party ever hope to win in Scotland again with that witch as their leader?

Salmond must think his lottery numbers are up every time she opens her gub.

Any sensible person wouldn't vote for either of them if we were basing our decisions on their utterances.

This is why I don't watch FMQs any more. Lamont actually makes me cringe whenever she speaks. I feel bad for her. And yet, according to the papers, she has Salmond's number? Well apparently so did Iain "Who?" Gray, according to the same papers.

I couldn't watch the one show last night for cringing, Eck's just as bad as Dave with the crawling act.

Archived