Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So Scottish Tories don't actually have hair on the palm of their hands and they are actually human!

Well I imagine they'll be very grateful to the SNP for telling them and come out in big numbers and vote "NO"!

Better Together.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets call them traditional tory voters then, not dye in the wool CandU party memebers. A constant barage of keep the tories out will not appeal to them and what if Scotland shifts to the right like we were in the 50s, is independence then over?

The only reason the Tories got votes in the 50s was because they exploited sectarian tensions. The Orange Unionist vote. When do you think this shift will happen? The referendum is in autumn 2014. Scotland has a year and a bit to "shift to the right". Think it'll happen?

Im watching that Road to the Referendum programme. Its actually very good, you can tell this isn't a BBC job! So far, I'm visualising a lot of Unionist seethe when they watch it.

Oh, and one that I particularly enjoyed, Donald Findlay commenting on people seeing English and British as interchangeable, despite the fact that I was personally assured on here that this simply didn't happen. Right, Pink Freud? :D

Donald Finlay. You are really going to quote Donald Finlay at me? Listen, I was chatting with Danny Dyer, right, and HE said "pwopah naughty". And he was just as relevant. :1eye

The only reason the Tories got votes in the 50s was because they exploited sectarian tensions. The Orange Unionist vote. When do you think this shift will happen? The referendum is in autumn 2014. Scotland has a year and a bit to "shift to the right". Think it'll happen?

Whilst I'm not sure Deky is right in saying anti-tory rhetoric is risky from Yes Scotland, there are probably a lot of voters in "middle scotland" who would vote for a centre right party. You could argue these people have been succesfully courted by both (New) Labour and the SNP in the last twenty odd years.

Donald Finlay. You are really going to quote Donald Finlay at me? Listen, I was chatting with Danny Dyer, right, and HE said "pwopah naughty". And he was just as relevant. :1eye

Yes. Because this is an absolute arch Unionist and Rangers man, and yet he picked up on it. And he wasn't the only one either. Looking at that programme, you used to be a Unionist...are you not embarrassed when you look back on it?

Lets call them traditional tory voters then, not dye in the wool CandU party memebers. A constant barage of keep the tories out will not appeal to them and what if Scotland shifts to the right like we were in the 50s, is independence then over?

What is it about independence that attracts them in the first place?

The England/UK thing happens all the time here in Texas. I don't think it's an especially compelling reason to favor independence, but the UK simply does not have its own identity here.

The England/UK thing happens all the time here in Texas. I don't think it's an especially compelling reason to favor independence, but the UK simply does not have its own identity here.

Do you remember the old days, back when the majority of this forum would insist with every fibre of their being that this simply didn't happen? As a forum, we've been on quite a journey these last few years.

Do you remember the old days, back when the majority of this forum would insist with every fibre of their being that this simply didn't happen? As a forum, we've been on quite a journey these last few years.

Meet the new thread, same as the old thread. "THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE EVER" followed by "OH IT JUST HAPPENED ONCE AND IT'S CLEARLY UNREPRESENTATIVE BECAUSE REASONS" then "Well it might happen once in a blue moon but anyone who does it is a thick idiot" then "OK so it happens sometimes? So what? It's hardly common" then "Who cares if it happens all the time, did you hear about today's spectacular own goal? Why are you changing the subject? What about a new Scottish currency on day one? Bring it on!"

Also are we really going to hand-wring over the idea of pro-independence social/fiscal conservatives? Really? Why not go after that all-important revolutionary communist vote as well? Fucking hell. Pick your battles, people. The demographics we need to target are known. Focus on them.

This isn't about the politics of the left or the right it's about who is best placed to govern Scotland. I'm not absolutely sure where I would a line myself politically although I know I'm broadly central. I do however appreciate good governance, value for money governance.

I appreciate when Salmond is away on these 'Jaunts', he's targeting trade as was revealed yesterday. I appreciate cost effective governance by merging police/courts and optimising value for the public purse. Yet I appreciate making education/medicine free for all. I happen not to agree with Min price alcohol, banning booze on the train and a couple other nanny state stuff. But as a group I associate with theses policies, and respect the direction of the politics.

Flip the coin the Westminister. We have cheating the public with expense fiddling. We have gargantuan expenditure on defence. Invading other countries on the basis of lies and hypocritical politics, given we have the claimed weapons up the road. We have fiscal micawberism in full flow. How on earth can it been 'good' politics to waste £50,000 Million pounds a year on debt interest ?

How to I want to run Fiscal issues and represent me on Defence? No luck needed Hollyrood, you simply can't do any worse.

Yes. Because this is an absolute arch Unionist and Rangers man, and yet he picked up on it. And he wasn't the only one either. Looking at that programme, you used to be a Unionist...are you not embarrassed when you look back on it?

I really couldn't care less what that vil bigot p***k has to say on pretty much anything. And actually, it was you who pointed out, correctly, that a certain type of unionist has more of an issue with England than most nationalists. You can bang on about this all you want. And no doubt will.

As I've said before, you can celebrate ignorance if that's your bag.

I really couldn't care less what that vil bigot p***k has to say on pretty much anything. And actually, it was you who pointed out, correctly, that a certain type of unionist has more of an issue with England than most nationalists. You can bang on about this all you want. And no doubt will.

As I've said before, you can celebrate ignorance if that's your bag.

Meet the new thread, same as the old thread. "THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE EVER" followed by "OH IT JUST HAPPENED ONCE AND IT'S CLEARLY UNREPRESENTATIVE BECAUSE REASONS" then "Well it might happen once in a blue moon but anyone who does it is a thick idiot" then...

Two more to go before we get to today's spectacular own goal!

There was news posted earlier about the massive gaps in EU support between Scotland and England, but oddly enough it's been greeted by the usual polite coughing from the CDUists and their fellow travellers.

There was news posted earlier about the massive gaps in EU support between Scotland and England, but oddly enough it's been greeted by the usual polite coughing from the CDUists and their fellow travellers.

Not posted in this thread though. Oddly.

Not posted in this thread though. Oddly.

Weird. Well, it's in the other politics threads if the Very Serious Posters want to go and discuss it.

Its here now!

An opinion poll carried out by Survation on behalf of Sky News has shown that a slight majority of the UK population favour withdrawal from the EU, however in Scotland there is a strong majority for retaining EU membership.

When asked "Do you think the UK should remain a member of the EU?", 44% said Yes, while 45% said No, but Scots showed themselves to be markedly more in favour of EU membership, with 63.8% saying Yes against just 29.6% saying No.

Although the regional findings are based upon small samples and so cannot be considered statistically reliable, according to this poll Scotland is by far the most pro-EU part of the UK - and by a margin of over 2 to 1.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/7520-scotland-by-far-the-most-pro-eu-part-of-uk

Pleasing, very pleasing. Extremely pleasing indeed, Scotland is different. It also (yet again) confirms that all those (weirdly, predominantly St. Mirren) folk who said that the SNP should adopt an "out of Europe" policy are flat out wrong.

Oh, and as an aside:

Inexplicably, when Sky News broadcast a graphic showing the regional breakdown of the poll, in an item headlined "UK split down the middle on EU membership", the news channel showed a map of England only, and omitted any reference to Scotland or Wales.

Yet again, I look forward to hearing that this simply doesn't happen.

Buried away in the Scottish Sun

Social Attitudes Survey by ScotCen Social Research found full independence remains the most popular choice — backed by 35 per cent of Scots.

Meanwhile, 24 per cent want to stick with the current arrangements

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4958806/Alex-Salmond-makes-fresh-call-for-independence-debate-with-David-Cameron.html#ixzz2VVZafH11

Archived