Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes.

Delivered because of the SNP :)

NOw back to laughing at your claims Fife is not in the EU. :lol:

Delivered despite the SNP.

The SNP were a hindrance to the creation of the Scottish Parliament, not an assistance.

The Nationalists utterly embarrassed themselves in the early 90s. I imagine even they have the self awareness now to recognise how ridiculous they looked because of that.

It will be interesting to see if they have learned anything from that post referendum defeat in the coming decades.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fife isn't in the EU.

The EU is a country.

Scotland isn't in the EU.

Absolutely bonkers! :D

its insane! Notice the predicted deflection? What happened to "returning to talk about fife"?

DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT

Fife isn't in the EU.

The EU is a country.

Scotland isn't in the EU.

Absolutely bonkers! :D

Your contribution to the "country" debate has been shamefully poor.

The "EU is a country" thing is interesting though. Where exactly have you produced that from?

its insane! Notice the predicted deflection? What happened to "returning to talk about fife"?

DEFLECT DEFLECT DEFLECT

What do you want to discuss about Fife?

Fife isn't in the EU. The people of Fife are in the EU though. Because they are in the UK, which is in the EU.

Your claim that the UK is a country and your argument related to the United States. You believe that the EU is a country.

You've been told what's what, and that's that.

I see... so you are equating the United States with the EU?

I've been looking at maps of the EU there. It's weird, places like Norway and Switzerland are excluded, but not Fife. How can this be?

MAybe those complaining about being "ruled from Brussels" should move to fife?

Certainly not.

I see.

Well, I don't actually.

So, your definition of "country" - what is it? What are the properties an entity must have to be considered a "country"?

MAybe those complaining about being "ruled from Brussels" should move to fife?

Why? Fife is a region of an EU member. So that won't help.

There is no prescriptive definition of country, no. It is used by different people to mean different things. As long as you have a list of criteria, which can be applied to all possible entities seeking "country" status, then I am fine with that.

Your issue here would presume two things :-

1) The constituent entities of the UK are countries. I don't ascribe them that definition, though others do.

2) It is impossible for a country to be composed of other countries. That is in my view a completely illogical view.

For example, let's say that Canada and the United States entered into a Union. Hereafter to be known as the United States of Canada. With a Parliament in New York. Both Canada and the USA no longer exist from an international perspective.

Is this new entity a country? If not, what is it?

For the sake of this post I'll describe Scotland, England, Wales and Norn Ireland as the elements of the U.K, are they just regions or nations then?

For the sake of this post I'll describe Scotland, England, Wales and Norn Ireland as the elements of the U.K, are they just regions or nations then?

They are both. Regions and nations.

Regions of a country (the UK) and nations in their own right. A State with a capital S is often used interchangeably with "country". A country and a Stae are the same thing. Not to be confused with a nation and a state with a small s. A state with a small s being of course, like Idaho, a division of a Federal State, with a capital s.

Nations of course might cross boundaries of countries or States.

The beauty of my criteria of course being that there is no distinction required between "country" and "independent country".

There is no such thing as a country which is not independent. There are states, nations and regions which may have various levels of autonomy under an umbrella State or Country, but they themselves are not countries until such time that they can satisfy the criteria I outlined earlier, the most important of whcih is the ability to contract unfettered with other counties in joining supranational organisations in their own right and enter into treaties.

Delivered despite the SNP.

The SNP were a hindrance to the creation of the Scottish Parliament, not an assistance.

The Nationalists utterly embarrassed themselves in the early 90s. I imagine even they have the self awareness now to recognise how ridiculous they looked because of that.

It will be interesting to see if they have learned anything from that post referendum defeat in the coming decades.

The SNP campaigned for devolution, you idiot.

The SNP campaigned for devolution, you idiot.

The SNP manifesto, 1997, page 9 :-

"New Labour’s scheme for a Scottish Assembly [sic] is fatally flawed, and will deliver no real power."

The SNP contribution to the Constitutional convention? Absolutely nothing. They walked out in the huff.

The Scottish Parliament was achieved on the back of the Labour and Liberal Democrats. The SNP contributed nothing.

The Scottish Parliament was achieved on the back of the Labour and Liberal Democrats. The SNP contributed nothing.

Without the SNP, there would be no devolution at all. Its main aim was to stop the rise of the SNP. Just like Calman, just like the Scotland Act, just like Jam Tomorrow.

No SNP = No devolution.

Archived