Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

... and of course you wouldn't have paid most of it back and they'd have written it off eventually anyway...

Do you have close to an idea of just how long thirty years really is? Or thirty-five? This is what happens when you try to talk with kiddies.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/ So what are the real figures, i.e. not yours? And if you don't know, just say so.

2/ They will be £100k in debt at 29 years, numbnuts. If you don't know what kind of a burden that is, you're not worth talking to. The English students start with far higher debt that increases by inflation + up to three points. Scottish start with far lower debt and pay it back earlier and at a lower rate of interest. Why you don't think that's a good thing is beyond me. Btw, the UK government reckon that 60% of English students will pay back their loans in full, which, if they're right, or even close to the final payback percentage, means you're full of shit. I'm beginning to think you don't know how debt works.

1. They are real figures, the data for which is derived from the SAAS website. This isn't difficult.

2. Bullshit. They will be in debt to the tune of less than £4k. What you're saying is like saying that someone is £250k in debt just before they've paid off their mortgage. You're a cretin.

3. The UK government have actually been accused of vastly over-estimating graduate salaries. The IFS observed precisely this, suggesting that the long-term impact is the new system will see £500 million more spent by government on student finances, because of the slack they're picking up for those paying less.

4. Of course it's a good thing to leave low-salaried graduates with more disposable income and to make them contribute over a longer time-period. Any rational recent graduate on a modest salary and with little by way of assets and personal wealth to call their own would *obviously* prefer to pay less in the early years and pay more later on when they're earning more (absolutely risk free, on account of the fact that if they don't earn more, they don't pay more).

I'm going to stop talking to you now, because you're derailing the thread, most people want to talk about independence, not student finance, because you're dribbling like a three year old and because you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm going to stop talking to you now, because you're derailing the thread, most people want to talk about independence, not student finance, because you're dribbling like a three year old and because you don't know what you're talking about.

You've got a throbbing cheek. Your entire theory is based on a worst case scenario of your own devising with no reference to reality or actual facts or figures or any concept of what interest rates are or their effect over long periods of time. The entire issue of what massive amounts of debt do to one's credit rating is ignored completely and any contradicting evidence is dismissed with an airy "It's different now" with no evidence of what is actually happening "now". You even seem to be completely ignorant of the existence of HNCs and HNDs! Thank god you're not talking to me anymore, frankly.

This thread is like the film 300. Intellectual giants against loads of "cretins". Here's how the movie worked out - soz.

The movie's shit, overblown and with no grasp of historical reality. Much like Ad Lib's contribution to the thread then.

^^^ historically illiterate

^^^ casually racist

You stay classy DeeGas.

I intend to, thanks for the advice.

You stay loopy liberal now!

I mean the various Nazi movements of the world will be banking on your support!

What is it that you actually do for a living you utter moron?

I find idiots and sell them for spare parts.

You are due for collection on Tuesday.

I think the English students who are borrowing £9k per year to pay for their fees are taking a massive gamble. Who is to say that we won't end up in a high inflation environment, where the only thing not going up is wages? You could argue we are already in that situation, and globalisation will lead to it continuting for the forseeable future.

Most of these graduates will need to get used to seeing three deductions on their payslip every month for the rest of their working lives - Income Tax, National Insurance and Student Loan Repayments. Something like 40% of their gross income being taken from them before it hits their bank account - and that's if they are earning £25k!

Of course this won't affect students from seriously wealthy families - their mum and dads will just pay their fees for them. A more equitable system would be something along the lines of all graduates paying a 5% tax on their wages for a period of five years following graduation - and the money being ringfenced to go straight to Universities.

Of course this won't affect students from seriously wealthy families - their mum and dads will just pay their fees for them. A more equitable system would be something along the lines of all graduates paying a 5% tax on their wages for a period of five years following graduation - and the money being ringfenced to go straight to Universities.

I kind of prefer the idea of a small graduate tax on gross earnings for as long as you work, that means if someone hits it big, then their still paying back on the benefits of their education. Something tiny that you'll barely notice, but for a working lifetime.

Yes, it has been proved that I'm not an idiot. You didn't have to repeat it.

No. I think the evidence to the contrary is compelling. You are, without a shadow of a doubt, a fucking clown.

Archived