Windsor Park

HibeeJibee

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest the upgrades will be more on Windsor, Casemount and Ravenhill which are the main stadiums for the sports they represent , If the other stadiums ever do get re developed then it wont be for years ,if ever. Glentoran for example are having serious financial difficulty at the moment and may not even be around much longer let alone at a stadium.

Isn't this the same arguement that the English have against the Scots?

It is but it's not actually true: Scotland has been a net contributor to the CDU for nearly four decades. In short, Scots pay for pandering projects aimed at bigots and terrorists in Norn Ireland, while being routinely informed that there is no money to improve facilities in their own country. Made all the more ludicrous by Norn Ireland being completely hopeless at the sport, and their clubs having hee-haw fanbase in the first place.

Before there was North Sea oil Scotland used to be heavily subsidised as well. Part of being in a political and economic union is that the richer members are usually expected to help out the poorer ones. It happens in both a UK and EU context. To put the expenditure into perspective it's about the same amount of money as was spent reopening the Stirling to Longannet railway line.
How many football stadiums were subsidised by the state in Scotland during this period? As stated, the only logical conclusion is that unless you live in the 17th Century and regularly commit terrorist atrocities, you can't rely on undeserved state support.

Don`t mean to be funny, but why are new stadiums required for 3 different sports? Surely one multi-purpose stadium would do fine? Chucking money down a black hole if you ask me.

Each brand of bigot has their own preferred sport, meaning that they can't be trusted to share a stadium.

Don`t mean to be funny, but why are new stadiums required for 3 different sports? Surely one multi-purpose stadium would do fine? Chucking money down a black hole if you ask me.

Money to burn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8303021.stm

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/stadium-at-maze-about-to-be-axed-28450540.html

That would have been the most sensible soloution and was the idea for a good while but nobody could agree on a new site, the Maze prison was the favourite for many but was deemed to be logistically not viable as a multi sport stadium due to it being outside Belfast.

It is but it's not actually true: Scotland has been a net contributor to the CDU for nearly four decades. In short, Scots pay for pandering projects aimed at bigots and terrorists in Norn Ireland, while being routinely informed that there is no money to improve facilities in their own country. Made all the more ludicrous by Norn Ireland being completely hopeless at the sport, and their clubs having hee-haw fanbase in the first place.

How many football stadiums were subsidised by the state in Scotland during this period? As stated, the only logical conclusion is that unless you live in the 17th Century and regularly commit terrorist atrocities, you can't rely on undeserved state support.

So do you think then that everything paid for in Northern Ireland is just for bigots and terrorists? So am I right then in thinking that you believe everyone in Northern Ireland is a bigot or terrorist or even both?

Sherriff Bunnell is basically correct - Linfield football fans, Belfast GAA fans and Ulster rugby fans wouldn't breathe the same air as one another let alone share a stadium. Anyway, doing up 3 pre-existing stadia should be cheaper than a new one from scratch but £138 mill is a fair chunk of change.

Tbf, if you look at England they have 3 stadiums for their 3 major outdoor sports (Wembley/Twickenham/Lords) and Scotland has 2 for our 2 major ones.

Admittedly Wales has 1 for their 2, but it always did (Arms Park).

So do you think then that everything paid for in Northern Ireland is just for bigots and terrorists? So am I right then in thinking that you believe everyone in Northern Ireland is a bigot or terrorist or even both?

There is no other reason why the UK state should be subsidising this failed statelet, which contributes nothing to the whole.

Given 40+ years of murdering each other, I suggest you've made your own bed with the terrorists and bigots in your midst.

There is no other reason why the UK state should be subsidising this failed statelet, which contributes nothing to the whole.

Given 40+ years of murdering each other, I suggest you've made your own bed with the terrorists and bigots in your midst.

Bit late to get into it so i'll call it a night and go check on my 9 and 12 year old terrorists.... :rolleyes:

How many football stadiums were subsidised by the state in Scotland during this period?

Who was going to pay for all the stadium upgrades if the Euro 2008 bid had been successful and how much money is getting spent in and around Glasgow due to the Commonwealth games? How much money was spent on London recently where the Olympics are concerned? Is it really unreasonable that Northern Ireland should get a slice of the action on stadium infrastructure given, whether you like it or not, it is part of the United Kingdom? I think you have much deeper issues on this and the taxpayer angle isn't really what is causing your apparent angst.

Beyond that I don't think people have a clear picture of the current level of interest in the Irish League. Yes, run of the mill games usually attract small crowds but clubs like Linfield and Glentoran still have large latent fanbases that will show up for big games a bit like how fans of smaller clubs in Scotland suddenly come out of the woodwork any time their time goes to Hampden, so cup finals and title deciders could sometimes fill the revamped Windsor Park to capacity as will a lot of Northern Ireland internationals. I could understand the criticism of it being a waste of resources if they were building a 50,000 seater, but 18,000 seems about right to me.

As for favouritism of Linfield, it will be interesting to see how favourable the new stadium deal is for them financially given Peter Robinson has been very vocal about his Glentoran loyalties over the years as MP and/or MLA for Belfast East.

Who was going to pay for all the stadium upgrades if the Euro 2008 bid had been successful and how much money is getting spent in and around Glasgow due to the Commonwealth games? How much money was spent on London recently where the Olympics are concerned? Is it really unreasonable that Northern Ireland should get a slice of the action on stadium infrastructure given, whether you like it or not, it is part of the United Kingdom?

Well yes it is unreasonable: given that their level of football attracts hee-haw popular enthusiasm, and their league is a sad joke fighting with Estonia etc for the wooden spoon of Europe. The scenario isn't even remotely comparable to taking global athletic competitions to one of the world's best-performing track and field countries, nor taking a European international tournament to a country that has a track record of challenging for entry to the tournament. This is like taking the Euros to Malta.

I think you have much deeper issues on this and the taxpayer angle isn't really what is causing your apparent angst.

Thanks Dr Phil, but I'm going to ask for a qualified argument on what these 'issues' are, rather than a desperate attempt at smears and innuendo. In your own time.

Beyond that I don't think people have a clear picture of the current level of interest in the Irish League. Yes, run of the mill games usually attract small crowds but clubs like Linfield and Glentoran still have large latent fanbases that will show up for big games a bit like how fans of smaller clubs in Scotland suddenly come out of the woodwork any time their time goes to Hampden

As outlined above, we're dealing with a league where almost all the clubs are playing in front of vastly inferior crowds to Scotland. Crusaders are about as well-supported as Ayr United at a push.

Archived