Windsor Park

HibeeJibee

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VT is spot on here.

We're constantly being told that the UK Government has no money. Yet we can apparently afford to dish out a hundred million quid to upgrade a few football stadiums in a country that costs far more money than it contributes?

Not right at all, IMO (in my opinion).

VT is spot on here.

We're constantly being told that the UK Government has no money. Yet we can apparently afford to dish out a hundred million quid to upgrade a few football stadiums in a country that costs far more money than it contributes?

Not right at all, IMO (in my opinion).

Maybe I've read it wrongly, but is the development not being funded by the NI exec rather than the UK Government? If that's the case, surely it's their budget to spend on whatever they wish, much like if the Scottish Government decided to invest money to renovate stadiums here?

Maybe I've read it wrongly, but is the development not being funded by the NI exec rather than the UK Government? If that's the case, surely it's their budget to spend on whatever they wish, much like if the Scottish Government decided to invest money to renovate stadiums here?

It isn't though, because the Norn Irish Exec doesn't raise even remotely what it spends. Every taxpayer in the UK subsidises the entire statelet, and this is one of the results of said funding. New stadiums to no-marks in a pub league.

The only stadiums that are being invested in that you could call financially viable are Ravenhill as the Ulster rugby team is one of the best supported in the UK and would sell out most European nights , Casemount as the bigger GAA matches attract big crowds and Windsor as it is the national stadium and will probably be used for other events.

the other stadium upgrades are in stadiums which home the likes of Glentoran Crusaders and Cliftonville which will be mainly used not only for matches but youth development and community projects etc..

It isn't though, because the Norn Irish Exec doesn't raise even remotely what it spends. Every taxpayer in the UK subsidises the entire statelet, and this is one of the results of said funding. New stadiums to no-marks in a pub league.

Before there was North Sea oil Scotland used to be heavily subsidised as well. Part of being in a political and economic union is that the richer members are usually expected to help out the poorer ones. It happens in both a UK and EU context. To put the expenditure into perspective it's about the same amount of money as was spent reopening the Stirling to Longannet railway line.

VT is correct.

Also as previous mentioned it is ridiculous the money Linfield make from the IFA. If memory serves me right the IFA had the opportunity to built a new stadium but decided to go with a new 100 year lease instead.

Could you imagine if the SFA decided to move into Ibrox or Celtic Park, give the clubs 15% international gate receipts, pay for the maintenance of the stadiums :lol:

outrage wouldn't do it justice.

Also, NI doesn't bring anything to the union. we should cut them off like we did with other places after WW2

VT is correct.

Also as previous mentioned it is ridiculous the money Linfield make from the IFA. If memory serves me right the IFA had the opportunity to built a new stadium but decided to go with a new 100 year lease instead.

Could you imagine if the SFA decided to move into Ibrox or Celtic Park, give the clubs 15% international gate receipts, pay for the maintenance of the stadiums :lol:

outrage wouldn't do it justice.

Also, NI doesn't bring anything to the union. we should cut them off like we did with other places after WW2

You seem to be bigoted towards teams with a Protestant leaning.

Archived