North Korea ...again

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

How's the mood over there amongst everyone? 

No fuss whatsoever, to be honest.

Life is just carrying on.

Like I said, it's a beautiful day. People are out enjoying it.

30 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

No fuss whatsoever, to be honest.

Life is just carrying on.

Like I said, it's a beautiful day. People are out enjoying it.

Same here in Japan even though the BBC would have everyone believe we're all hiding in fallout shelters.

Cant help help but think headline should be spoilt brat has nuclear weapon lets face it that's the nuts and bolts of it tbh, or spoilt brat doesnt like being told what he can and cant have by everyone else but then again not everyone else had the planet had us on the verge of nuclear war.

7 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41138834

North Korea claim they now have a Hydrogen Bomb small enough to fit on one of thier missiles. 

NK have been repeatedly trying to provoke a war and now they may have the means to begin a Nuclear war. 

Im glad it's just wee bombs they are making. I shudder to think of the consequences if they made a big one.

The most dangerous aspect of the North Korea situation is that so far, Kim has had it all his own way and is making the US look impotent. Donald Trump is the last person you'd want with his finger on the red button in this scenario. But it's just another in a growing list of potential geopolitical flashpoints where the US isn't getting its own way and is just standing on the sidelines stamping its feet, as in Syria, Iran, the South China Sea, Venezuela etc. I think there's a real danger that one or more of these situations will blow up in the coming months, and of the above options North Korea probably has the potential to be the most catastrophic in terms of loss of life.

32 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The most dangerous aspect of the North Korea situation is that so far, Kim has had it all his own way and is making the US look impotent. Donald Trump is the last person you'd want with his finger on the red button in this scenario. But it's just another in a growing list of potential geopolitical flashpoints where the US isn't getting its own way and is just standing on the sidelines stamping its feet, as in Syria, Iran, the South China Sea, Venezuela etc. I think there's a real danger that one or more of these situations will blow up in the coming months, and of the above options North Korea probably has the potential to be the most catastrophic in terms of loss of life.

No, I think only the Korean peninsula will "blow up"...

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Kim doesn't want a nuclear war.  He just wants the US to realise that they can't do to him what they did to Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein.

Of course, but you have to wonder if the US does, or at least a large-scale conventional conflict, as they're doing everything in their power to ensure the situation continues to escalate. The master plan in response to the latest nuclear test in apparently to step up military counter-measures in the South. The only logical conclusion to draw from the US' actions is that the neverending tension and escalation is exactly what they want.

Of course, but you have to wonder if the US does, or at least a large-scale conventional conflict, as they're doing everything in their power to ensure the situation continues to escalate. The master plan in response to the latest nuclear test in apparently to step up military counter-measures in the South. The only logical conclusion to draw from the US' actions is that the neverending tension and escalation is exactly what they want.

You get the feeling the American ego demands it. They'd rather wipe out half a continent than be made to look weak.

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I think you're right, but I don't understand the US's infatuation with N Korea.

There's no oil/terrorist/strategic geographical/threats to Israel issues.  

15 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

It would be a bit dicey starting a large scale conventional conflict with an opponent who has nuclear weapons, imo.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think you're right, but I don't understand the US's infatuation with N Korea.

There's no oil/terrorist/strategic geographical/threats to Israel issues.  

Are they not the (self appointed?) guarantors of South Korean independence?

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

The most dangerous aspect of the North Korea situation is that so far, Kim has had it all his own way and is making the US look impotent. Donald Trump is the last person you'd want with his finger on the red button in this scenario. But it's just another in a growing list of potential geopolitical flashpoints where the US isn't getting its own way and is just standing on the sidelines stamping its feet, as in Syria, Iran, the South China Sea, Venezuela, Ruel Street etc. I think there's a real danger that one or more of these situations will blow up in the coming months, and of the above options North Korea probably has the potential to be the most catastrophic in terms of loss of life.