Thatcher deid

I've always found this argument ridiculous. She's dead. Surely the time for respecting her feelings and treating her with decency was when she was alive? I've heard you say some quite awful things about politicians (as do we all), so why is it okay when they are alive, but not when they are dead? As it happens, I said awful things about her when she was alive, and I shall continue to say the same things now she is dead. A politician who did her very best to break Scotland. Hell mend her.

At the point at which we denigrate human existence, whether in life or in its end, we attack the very idea that we share a common bond and should empathise with one another. The point of death is itself a manifestation of the experience of life.

Now of course I call politicians unpleasant things. But I never wish them to die. I never glorify in their death. In their political capacity, they are open to criticism. But their death has nothing to do with their politics. Their death has to do with their humanity. Once you deny them even that, we can scarcely complain when politicians don't act for the common weel.

You're the one wringing your hands about a historic character who inflicted misery upon millions: presumably you'll be extending this privilege to an array of similarly unpleasant 20th Century individuals?

I'm not handwringing. As I said when Saddam Hussein was subjected to the death penalty and Bin Laden was killed, I won't mourn, but I won't celebrate or express public delight at the loss of human life. That's the road to barbarism. To revel in the personal suffering of others is cruel and inhumane and I won't play a part in it.

1. It isn't 'glorification': it is celebration. Good riddance.

It applies equally to celebration.

2. You're not in a position to define what and what is not 'morally wrong', champ.

I'm in every bit as much of a position to do this as anyone else. I'm not stopping you from being a vindictive hateful cretin.

Celebrating death is not common in fact its almost non existant. So one exception will hardly topple a society that doesn't even exist. It will also have no impact on anyone's life, their life chances or their life prospects or indeed the prospects of generations = things that could not be said about Thatcher;s life. She made her name as the iron lady and for battling the working class and i think she would not give a jot about the reaction of the group of people she actively targetted.

I'm not handwringing. As I said when Saddam Hussein was subjected to the death penalty and Bin Laden was killed, I won't mourn, but I won't celebrate or express public delight at the loss of human life. That's the road to barbarism. To revel in the personal suffering of others is cruel and inhumane and I won't play a part in it.

Death isn't personal suffering champ. People are happy that her direct malevolent influence has once and for all been removed from society. I suggest you deal with that in a less embarrassing manner than you have so far.

I'm in every bit as much of a position to do this as anyone else.

It would appear many disagree with your hand-wringing, Helen Lovejoy approach to events. So take your tone-trolling elsewhere, thanks.

I'm not stopping you from being a vindictive hateful cretin.

Zzzzzzzz.

At the point at which we denigrate human existence, whether in life or in its end, we attack the very idea that we share a common bond and should empathise with one another. The point of death is itself a manifestation of the experience of life.

You are morphing into the Bishop of Woolwich here.

Now of course I call politicians unpleasant things. But I never wish them to die. I never glorify in their death. In their political capacity, they are open to criticism. But their death has nothing to do with their politics. Their death has to do with their humanity. Once you deny them even that, we can scarcely complain when politicians don't act for the common weel.

I'm not glorifying in her death. But it did perk my day up a bit. She did an awful lot wrong in her life, and she was never supported by my country. If anything, she did her very best to hold Scotland back in every possible way, and damn well near killed us. There is a reason the Tories were killed off in Scotland under her watch.

So her death leaves the world no poorer. If anything, her death will help Scotland move on, and the untold misery she suffered on the world means that I feel no need to shed a tear. Apparently my wee sister made my dad a "Happy Margaret Thatcher's Dead Day" card. :lol:

I'm not glorifying in her death. But it did perk my day up a bit. She did an awful lot wrong in her life, and she was never supported by my country. If anything, she did her very best to hold Scotland back in every possible way, and damn well near killed us. There is a reason the Tories were killed off in Scotland under her watch.

So her death leaves the world no poorer. If anything, her death will help Scotland move on, and the untold misery she suffered on the world means that I feel no need to shed a tear. Apparently my wee sister made my dad a "Happy Margaret Thatcher's Dead Day" card. :lol:

You're wee sister sounds like a right fanny

Don't know how you could empathise with a corpse. That's a bit Goth for me. The point of death is no more than the end of life. If it was a bad life, it's something to celebrate.