ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

We actually left as soon as Jester hit the 123 as the show was very lacklustre.

LOL. FFS!

the Jackie Polo bit fucking ruined it, atmosphere never got going after that until Renfrew tried to cash in his briefcase and sneered you don't have any friends here any more, and the lights went out, the wee guy behind me said, check the size of him it must be drew, then you could see the long hair and he whipped off his hoody and the c**t was massive, then he knocked f**k out the NAQ. Awesome end. The c***s massive!!

I didn't think the show was lacklustre, but the heat completely fucking killed me in there. I was just waiting for Jester to hit the tombstone. Had a feeling there was more to come though. It didn't feel like a proper big main event so it felt like there was more to come. I thought for sure Renfrew was winning the belt until he said to Jester "you have no friends left" so knew SOMEONE was making an appearance. Had a feeling it'd be Mikey Whiplash though. I COMPLETELY lost my shit when he pulled his hood down.

Thought Gallagher/Coffey, tag title and Grado/Moss were all really good matches, thought the Still Game stuff was fun, and "Stone Cold" Bobby Roberts was a total joy.

The Polo segment was a complete fucking abortion, and it wasn't worth getting to the Still Game stuff for. If I had the choice of taking the whole segment away including the end stuff, I'd take that option.

The Polo segment completely killed the entire night and the buzz of the crowd for me. The fact that it came right before the (admittedly brilliant) interval meant that was an almost hours stretch without any actual wrestling.

First time I've been disappointed by anything ICW have ever done.

That being said, there was plenty of good stuff as per.

I fucking adore Joe Hendry. He's immense. The Bobby Roberts and wee CM Punk things were funny. And Joe Coffeys match with the cage fighter lad was brilliant stuff.

Again, I'm gutted I got out of there before Drew arrived.

Some superb stuff, particularly Gallagher vs Coffey, just a great technical showing! Agree about the Polo segment killing the momentum. A nuclear pop for big Drew, mere minutes after a massive pop for Renfrew trying to cash in...bet jesters feeling the love! Ha ha

Right, long-ish thoughts.

Mark Coffey df. Solar to retain the Zero G Championship.

I was surprised at such a comprehensive win for Coffey again. Thought they might have given Solar a wee bit more. What it does show though is that Mark Coffey should at least be moving into bigger territory now.

The NAK df. Kay Lee Ray and Stevie Boy to win the ICW Tag Team Championships.

They gave away the ending to this one when the NAK's music got played too early. However, all four wrestlers did quite well to win the fans back around and keep the match going a fair bit longer. It was a cracking tag team match, and the NAK have done pretty well as a tag team so far. The Gunn/Renfrew combo is especially good.

Then of course we had Mark Dallas coming out and saying that the Barrowlands would be hosting the Fear and Loathing show in November, plus an August 31st show at the Garage. Security guard Bobby Roberts comes out at this point and he's wearing a waistcoat and jeans. This, of course, is making people think collectively "what the f**k is this now?" to which we're given a fairly entertaining answer. You see, Bobby Roberts suffered a knock to the head and now thinks he's Steve Austin. And busts out a quite frankly fucking BRILLIANT impersonation of the WWE legend, which wins the fans over. The segment actually got applauded at the end. That's how much fun it was.

Grado df. Johnny Moss.

Cracking match this, again showing that Grado is a touch more than just a comedy guy. It's his bread and butter, but the guy can go. He took a total pasting here from Johnny Moss, who was utterly vicious in his beating of Grado, who came across after this one looking hard as nails, rather than soft as shite. Another key to this one is the heat coming from the audience, which as always for Grado, was off the charts. Oh, and Grado's entrance was top notch as well.

And so we come... to Jackie Polo. I've been watching wrestling for over 20 years. I think I can say that this was probably the worst experience I've ever had watching wrestling. It was rancid. It didn't really make me hate Jackie Polo any more. It made me hate those involved for letting it run so long though. Was it worth getting to the Still Game bit? No. It wasn't. Give me the choice I'd happily have that part taken away as well as the whole segment. That's how utterly dire it was.

So we come to the interval... which has a band on! Lost in Audio fronted by none other than Joe Hendry... GLOBAL HERO!!! And this helped to win the crowd back as well. Some fun covers, one Lost in Audio song and his theme tune. Can't really knock what was going on here.

Damien O'Connor df. Joe Hendry with the FUCKING VAN TERMINATOR!!!

Damien O'Connor is no cruiserweight btw. This man is a fucking beast of a man. This match was decent fun but the crowd was still slightly reeling and I think the heat was probably getting to folk by this time.

Kid Fite df. Liam Thomson in an I Quit Match.

Fun match this one with both guys bumping like fuckers, getting some brutal crowd brawling going and then the big stuff at the end to finish it off. The ending was quite good, as it showed Liam Thomson to be a right wee p***k, but at the same time, a tough b*****d as he was willing to take absolutely everything Kid Fite had to throw and he was never going to quit. Only the threat of a teabagging on Carmel was enough to do the job.

Joe Coffey vs. Jack Gallagher.

What an ICW debut for Jack Gallagher, who went out there and had a fucking amazing match with Joe Coffey. A lot of Scottish fans have seen Gallagher before thanks to his brilliant matches for SWA, including one in particular with Mikey Whiplash which might even have been better than this one. That says more for THAT match than it does for this one though, which is also a cracker. Joe Coffey is a bruiser of a man, so his technical stuff kinda gets overlooked but ICW has seen him use it a fair bit. His match with Robbie Dynamite is also worth a look.

Jack Jester df. Martin Stone to retain the ICW Title.

Couldn't give a f**k about this match. I was totally beaten by this point. The heat had won and all I wanted to see was a Tombstone, a three count and the match to be done. So when they ended it kinda quickly after the crowd brawling, I was absolutely delighted, but I then realised that the show wasn't over and I got a bit of a second wind so I knew something big was happening...

Out steps the NAK. James Scott and BT Gunn initially handing out a beating. Dicky Divers comes out of nowhere to join in and then Chris Renfrew comes from the back with his case and a referee. He fully intends on cashing in this time, and I believed it. With the tag titles getting won earlier, the clean sweep was on, but then he said "you have no friends left"...

...cue Drew Galloway hitting the ring. At which point, cabin pressure dropped a bit seeing as the roof kinda lifted off of the ABC. Highlight of this particular thing was Chris Renfrew going to hit Galloway with the case, and Galloway just booting it into Renfrew's face in a BRUTAL fashion. Then Jester gets lobbed from the stage. Because he's holding the title that was first won by Drew Galloway many moons ago. It was a sensational ending to what I thought was a cracking show and to be honest, it NEEDED that ending.

The Jackie Polo bit was obviously meant to piss people off so that the still game guys would get a great reaction but I think with the temperature of the place people were drained of energy so it was difficult to get the buzz back. A funny point was when Polo started throwing cake into the crowd. Quite a sizeable chunk landed near me but noone noticed until some guy stood in it and the reaction in the crowd was priceless as everybody though some had sh@t on the floor. There was a real moment of terror on their faces.

Also thought the catch of the pint glass that Damo threw was pretty cool.

Erm... right.

* He went on and on and on about Lionheart. Just saying the same shit over and over again. Fake stuff about him being a great guy.

* Brings out guests from Lionheart's past. They weren't really. They were some guy dressed as a woman, a guy acting as an American college wrestling coach, and a guy acting as Stu Hart. None of which was particularly interesting.

* It went on for at LEAST 25 minutes. That was the point I noticed how long it was going, so it could have been 30+.

Then...

* Lionheart comes out. Brings out Ford Kiernan, Greg Hemphill and... erm... Boaby.

* Hemphill tells the woman to "back aff ya spooky bitch" and smacks him/her one.

* Lots of celebration and giving Still Game tickets away.

The second half of that stuff was fun. Especially when the fans chanting "WE WANT TICKETS" which was quickly followed by Ford Kiernan's "go buy them then!".

The first part was just painfully dull. No redeeming factors and none of this stuff was good.

Edited by NewDomDom