Stuart McCall, SPL has missed Gers.

STUART McCALL believes Rangers have been missed in Scottish football’s top flight this season and thinks the game needs them back at that level as soon as possible.

The Motherwell manager was back at Ibrox yesterday to take part in the Legends match against Manchester United, which the home side won 4-1.

It was the second time he had been in public view in Govan in 2012/13 following his trip there with the Steelmen on League Cup business last September.

Back then, his team famously lost 2-0 as goals from Lee McCulloch and Dean Shiels gave Ally McCoist’s men a memorable victory.

Over 23,000 fans turned out for the match and it was yet another example of the terrific support those backing the Light Blues have given in recent months.

There has been so much animosity shown towards Gers from some quarters since their spell in administration and the vote that saw them removed from the SPL which followed last year.

McCall, of course, has been a vocal supporter of the club and was an integral part of the side which went on to lift nine successive titles in the 1990s.

The Fir Park boss is able to step away from much of the petty conjecture which has gone on in recent months.

And appreciating what an asset Rangers and their followers are to the game in this country, he admits he can’t wait to see them back at the top level again.

The 48-year-old admitted: “I think, without doubt, the top flight has missed Rangers this season.

“My record against them isn’t very good so I maybe wouldn’t be rushing to play them again in the league!

“In our last SPL game at Ibrox we managed to get a 0-0 draw which was a success of sorts for us.

“But we’ve actually had some terrific games with Celtic this season and after being fingered for not always doing anything against the Old Firm, we’ve managed to beat them twice.

“Speaking from our own point of view, we have scored maybe 15 or 20 more goals than we did last season.

“We’ve played in some really good games too and I think that is because the sides have been really evenly matched.

“There have been some good open games but having Rangers outwith the top division doesn’t feel right and the sooner they’re back, the better.”

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic more than anyone has missed us, most Celtic fans that i know can't be arsed with domestic fitba now - the spark which made it intersting for them has gone. What the SPL lose, the SFL sides gain for a few years.

i wonder if Stuart will now become a hate figure on here, we've already had one Motherwell fan change his avatar when it was pointed that he used to play for THEM!!!!!.

McCall and Hateley minging from the same songsheet. Remarkable. Still, I'm sure a lot of Rangers gravy train veterans feel that way.

There has been so much animosity shown towards Gers from some quarters since their spell in administration and the vote that saw them removed from the SPL which followed last year.

"Their spell in administration"? Is this how the MSM are spinning it now? FFS...

Stuart McCall is a *** b*****d, of course he is going to come away with pish like this.

Wonder how much his appearance fee was at the legends game? Him and Laudrup and the rest are still taking the piss out of Rangers fans and laughing all the way to the bank in the process.

That is just a prime exampe of the poor standard of journalism in Scotland and how gullible the Old Firm readers are.

Where is the quote to state that McCall wanted 'Rangers back ASAP?'

After stating that he feels the SPL has missed Rangers this season (shocking considering he is a former Rangers player) the remainder of his quotes are said with a slant towards his own club and how they get on against the Old Firm in general.

Seriously this is why I don't bother with the Record or the Sun - it's aimed at the intelligence of a 7 year old.

That is just a prime exampe of the poor standard of journalism in Scotland and how gullible the Old Firm readers are.

Where is the quote to state that McCall wanted 'Rangers back ASAP?'

After stating that he feels the SPL has missed Rangers this season (shocking considering he is a former Rangers player) the remainder of his quotes are said with a slant towards his own club and how they get on against the Old Firm in general.

Seriously this is why I don't bother with the Record or the Sun - it's aimed at the intelligence of a 7month old.

hear hear shitey red tops

and before anyone slates me , I have my own personal reasons for despising the gutter press and I aint telling :angel

Archived