Dundee United 2013/14 Season

Hi guys, just thought I'd give you my input on Farid.

Firstly, don't be expecting anything flashy, he's not the best footballer in the world, competent enough though but he knows what his strengths are and tries to play to them.

He's 'good' in the air and I put this in inverted commas because he's only 5'11' (we were told) and a high punt upfield to him will see him win only around half of those headers with his back to a decent centre half. However, I've never ever seen a player attack a cross ball like Farid did. He was absolutely unplayable in those circumstances when with us. If we could see the cross was good and new Farid was attacking it we just expected a goal to result and it very often did.

That's only part of the story though because he was a fairly good finisher on the deck too and, although I don't have any stats available, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he scored with more shots than headers.

The cherry on the cake for us though was that, not only was he a good player who could score goals, he had a fantastic rapport with the fans, tried his heart out in every game and it was very apparent that he really enjoyed playing for Falkirk.

Only possible negative during his time with us was that he sometimes got caught up in the moment and could be a wee bit indisciplined.

This is all of course based on my opinion during his days with Falkirk. Since then he's suffered a very serious knee injury which was season ending and, at the time, was thought could possibly be career ending. I've no idea if he's fully fit or if he's been able to recapture previous form since the injury - time will tell.

To get the best from him you need to play with wing backs that will supply plenty of balls into the box. Our right back, Kieran Duffie, has suffered a loss of form since Farid's departure and I think that's partly due to the fact that he's now got no 'out ball' when he finds himself in an attacking position.

You'll find that most Falkirk fans loved Farid when with us, I picked him in my all time favourite team when asked to do a piece for the programme and I've been watching Falkirk since 1968! Say's it all for me really.

He'll find it harder in the Premier because the defenders will presumably be better but I hope you guys have a similar experience to us. If you do you'll love him!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't really want to start a new thread, but Ian Redford has passed away aged just 53. Finest moment as an Arab, scoring in the second leg in Moenchengladbach in 87.

Fucking hell. He was on Off the Ball the other week promoting his autobiography.

Sad news.

ETA:

That goal :wub:

RIP

Aberdeen's and Motherwell's wins now makes the result tomorrow of greater significance for us. In the space of a month we've gone from second top to 10/11 points off. Interesting days ahead!

Garry Kenneth training at Tannadice and has also played a couple of bounce games with a view to getting him fit. No idea if McNamara intends to offer him any kind of deal though.

I heard were interested in Jason Scotland too, if either sign I'll lose a lot respect for JMc.

Garry Kenneth training at Tannadice and has also played a couple of bounce games with a view to getting him fit. No idea if McNamara intends to offer him any kind of deal though.

post-18288-0-19435900-1389613653.png

Not looking forward to young Robertson, GMS etc watching forlornly as another Kenneth 'pass' sails aimlessly over their head.

Archived