Dundee United 2013/14 Season

As I've said before on here, when I last spoke to Kenza, his attitude has changed dramatically. He's back to the same guy I grew up with, level headed.

Hopefully it works out for him.

Hope you're right. For all his faults he certainly has presence on the park which we've been sadly lacking recently. I'm not adverse to his return.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've said before on here, when I last spoke to Kenza, his attitude has changed dramatically. He's back to the same guy I grew up with, level headed.

Hopefully it works out for him.

Kenza :lol:

I don't think Gary Kenneth is the answer to our defensive needs. When he decided to move on I don't remember a huge outpouring of grief from Arabs on here, that's probably because his performances were fresher in our mind.

While I'd rather see more in the way of Gunning/Souttar quality, Kenneth is surely to god still a better backup option than Butcher. Also gives us something a bit different when required, i.e. bulk and aerial prowess.

While I'd rather see more in the way of Gunning/Souttar quality, Kenneth is surely to god still a better backup option than Butcher. Also gives us something a bit different when required, i.e. bulk and aerial prowess.

I'm not so sure.

I have defended him in the past, as he can be very good, but only with someone experienced, composed, and controlling beside him. We don't have anyone like that at the moment - Souttar may be in the future, Gunning can be but not consistently.

If we sign a cb, it needs to be someone similar to when we had Webster in the cup-winning season.

I'm not so sure.

I have defended him in the past, as he can be very good, but only with someone experienced, composed, and controlling beside him. We don't have anyone like that at the moment - Souttar may be in the future, Gunning can be but not consistently.

If we sign a cb, it needs to be someone similar to when we had Webster in the cup-winning season.

Pretty much agree with you. Webster was a great influence on Kenneth in 09/10 and even Severin had a decent impact on him on the few occaisons when they did play together in the following season. In the 11/12 season, like Brian McLean last year, he got blamed for almost every mistake regardless of whether it was actually his fault. But nevertheless he did seem to regress quite a lot that season as he didn't work well playing beside either Gunning or Dillon and they both worked far better playing together. By the end of that season it was a relief that he wanted to move on.

Ultimately if we did resign him I'd try to be positive about it on match days and give him the same support him as any other United player. However if he does come back I would fear the prospect of both him and Souttar playing in central defence.

He's scored twice! Actually wouldn't be surprised to see him or Connelly come on at some point on Monday.

Don't know about monday, I can't see them coming on unless we're winning comfortably which recent results suggests is unlikely. I do think we'll be seeing Connolly very soon though. Arabzone have just put up an interview with him, Stevie Campbell and Dave Bowman talking about his progress and he's been in a couple of first team squads since the McDiarmid park game so it would suggest that McNamara will be looking to get him some first team action too.

Incidentally Stevie Campbell is saying that Scott Smith and Scott Fraser have apparently been training more with the first team recently so they could be the next ones being looked at to make the step up.

Mark Wilson has signed an 18 month extension. Happy enough with that, as much for his off-field influence and experience to help the younger players.

I didn't expect him to get such a long extension but I am glad to have him signed up again. He's a good alternative to have to Watson who can't be relied on to play week in and week out and while his lack of pace can be a problem at times, his experience can be very valuable for us.

Not so sure on the Wilson one. I was delighted when he came in but he has been massivley exposed when playing against any semi-decent wideman with pace, and Watson would be my first pick. Add to that we have Dillon who wont be playing regular, and if in desperate trouble we have Paton or decent youngsters capable.

The worry for me is that any news on GMS resigning on seems to have vanished!

I was pleasantly surprised that Mackay-Steven was even considering signing on for longer around December time however I don't see it happening now. McNamara was asked about potential contract resignings and spoke about Rankin, Wilson and Gunning but not Mackay-Steven. He also said that there might be news soon which would boost morale which raised my hopes about GMS, but in the end it sounded like he was talking about bringing someone in rather than another contract extension.

Not so sure on the Wilson one. I was delighted when he came in but he has been massivley exposed when playing against any semi-decent wideman with pace, and Watson would be my first pick. Add to that we have Dillon who wont be playing regular, and if in desperate trouble we have Paton or decent youngsters capable.

Agree with this. Giving Wilson an 18 month deal isn't a step forward in terms of squad quality and development. How long has GMS's present contract got to run?

Archived