Dundee United 2013/14 Season

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archie and Shaggy have already moved north for the Arab shekel ;)post-1545-0-20001100-1371612179.jpeg

How was Archie regarded as a player at Tannadicé? I'm assuming Scott P struggled to make 10 appearances due to his chronic injury problems?

I only really recall Archie hitting the crossbar at the end of the FA Cup final against the Jungles.

Archie and Shaggy have already moved north for the Arab shekel ;){style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 227950_406850472736968_247964970_n.jpeg

How was Archie regarded as a player at Tannadicé? I'm assuming Scott P struggled to make 10 appearances due to his chronic injury problems?

I only really recall Archie hitting the crossbar at the end of the FA Cup final against the Jungles.

Archibald seemed a very nice chap. He did play in a United team that wasn't exactly fantastic however. Be interesting to see what kind of wages guys like him and Paterson picked up at the time. McCall brought them in IIRC and he was an unmitigated disaster at Tannadice. I was mostly pished at games during that spell, so my memory is hazy.

Archibald seemed a very nice chap. He did play in a United team that wasn't exactly fantastic however. Be interesting to see what kind of wages guys like him and Paterson picked up at the time. McCall brought them in IIRC and he was an unmitigated disaster at Tannadice. I was mostly pished at games during that spell, so my memory is hazy.

I may be imagining this but I'm sure I read once or twice in the Thistle programme notes that Archibald won Dundee Utd's POTY award during his time there?

As you say though thats not necessarily a fair reflection on his time there - for example the Clyde POTY awards thread was fairly amusing with about 99% of posters left utterly bemused with the choice, forget who it was.

I may be imagining this but I'm sure I read once or twice in the Thistle programme notes that Archibald won Dundee Utd's POTY award during his time there?

As you say though thats not necessarily a fair reflection on his time there - for example the Clyde POTY awards thread was fairly amusing with about 99% of posters left utterly bemused with the choice, forget who it was.

At first we were all like, "woah, who's this strapping stallion of a man, diving into the fray and cutting opponents asunder?" and later we were more like "woah there horsey. FFS". The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Not sure who Nomad is referring to as an unmitigated disaster but I assume McCall rather than Archibald. Either way, it's a harsh assessment. We've had plenty worse than Archibald since McCall left, some still on the premises. Likewise McCall towers over the reigns of Brewster, Hegarty, Jism like a wee, fat mouthy shite (probably standing on a ladder).

Paterson was a good player tho'. For about 15 minutes.

Ah well, United at Firhill on Matchday 1, couldn't see that one coming :)

Still not sure if we have to play our league cup game that weekend? What takes the priority?

I know a few DABs in Glasgow so there could be a decent crowd. As stated on the other thread it will be nice to see McNamara and Archibald jointly unfurl the league championship flag 8)

Ah well, at least we'll find out immediately how badly the Thistle and United match day topics are going to devolve into petty squabbling and insults. As an arab I hope we don't get a repeat of what happened when we were the first team to play Hamilton after they came up to the SPL.

Ah well, at least we'll find out immediately how badly the Thistle and United match day topics are going to devolve into petty squabbling and insults. As an arab I hope we don't get a repeat of what happened when we were the first team to play Hamilton after they came up to the SPL.

I'm sure there will be remnants of seethe but most will be game related "banter". Heard Stephen O'Donnell on the radio there saying he hopes that Jags fans show respect to McNamara for the job he did, but wasn't too sure of the reaction McNamara will get. I think it will lie somewhere in the middle, with a few songs questioning who the f*ck is McNamara but I know I will be more interested in my team winning three points than an wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Anyway I think it will be a pretty good match to start the season and I am confident we can claim our first SPFL three points :D

See you in August lads/lassies. If you want any advice on where to get a bottle of Sol in the leafy west-end give me a shout 8)

I'm sure there will be remnants of seethe but most will be game related "banter". Heard Stephen O'Donnell on the radio there saying he hopes that Jags fans show respect to McNamara for the job he did, but wasn't too sure of the reaction McNamara will get. I think it will lie somewhere in the middle, with a few songs questioning who the f*ck is McNamara but I know I will be more interested in my team winning three points than an wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Anyway I think it will be a pretty good match to start the season and I am confident we can claim our first SPFL three points :D

See you in August lads/lassies. If you want any advice on where to get a bottle of Sol in the leafy west-end give me a shout 8)

Is Clatty Pats still on the go? :wub:

I always assume any Thistle fans showing real emotions are simply practicing a role and are in pursuit of their Equity cards.

Other than the ones showing despair that is. :lol:

Good stuff, can make the first game of the season being a glasgow based Arab. Even though we sometimes struggle against the newly promoted teams, and guaranteed Thistle will be up for this.

Gone a bit quiet on the signing front, we really need to add a first choice, experienced, commanding, leg breaking, baby eating centre half and Goodwillie to ease my concerns about the upcoming season.

I always assume any Thistle fans showing real emotions are simply practicing a role and are in pursuit of their Equity cards.

Other than the ones showing despair that is.   :lol:

You cheeky wag.

The Western geriatric ward is only ten minutes away by ambulance so I assume you will be in attendance Granny or is your Saga Cruise overlapping?

8)

You cheeky wag.

The Western geriatric ward is only ten minutes away by ambulance so I assume you will be in attendance Granny or is your Saga Cruise overlapping?

8)

Barring an unforeseen disaster, I'll be there. Really looking forward to it.

Barring an unforeseen disaster, I'll be there. Really looking forward to it.

Excellent. Will United bring a decent crowd? I know a few Glasgow based DABs who will be up for it. My main concern it will be shifted for TV purposes. I assume the Jungle's flag game won't be televised? There is also the pull of Sevco Scotland v The Hedge as well. Who would have thought Glasgow would be home to three league champions ;)

I guess something may have to give in terms of 3pm kick offs. Waffling further, but I guess two teams from the same city aren't allowed to start at the same time on the same day? The baggage from Govan just complicate matters furtber :(

Excellent. Will United bring a decent crowd? I know a few Glasgow based DABs who will be up for it. My main concern it will be shifted for TV purposes. I assume the Jungle's flag game won't be televised? There is also the pull of Sevco Scotland v The Hedge as well. Who would have thought Glasgow would be home to three league champions ;)

I guess something may have to give in terms of 3pm kick offs. Waffling further, but I guess two teams from the same city aren't allowed to start at the same time on the same day? The baggage from Govan just complicate matters furtber :(

Hopefully a decent crowd expected - don't usually go to many away games but think I might head along to this one.

That's my season ticket renewed so I'll fully expect Stephen Thompson to get the chequebook out and start bringing in some star players.... :P

I hope that we can rise above it all and just move on. Its all sorted, both clubs are happy, we're in the SPL as First Division champions. I'm not entirely pleased with how Utd and McNamara have conducted themselves but he did also assemble (most of) the best Thistle team we've seen for years and I'm thankful for that. Lets thank him for what he did, give him a couple of sarky songs, and leave the seeth at home. Its all got a bit silly, really.

Archived