Dundee United 2013/14 Season

To be fair to him, whilst Blackburn looked a good move on paper, it hasnt worked out at all. He went into a club with a horrible atmosphere, with a clueless manager who signed him then stuck him out wide a lot of the time.

Loss of confidence (which Goodwillie needs) + loss of match fitness/sharpness = a struggling player.

In the season before he moved he bagged 20 goals and had the top number of assists in the league (I think). The guy will make a big difference to our team and a front four of GMS, Goodie, Armstrong and Gauld/Erskine should cause most teams problems.

Hope we can get it extended for the season.

How would that look in a formation. Isn't Erskine and Armstrong left/attacking midfiled and GMS left midfield? I am glad you left out Brian Graham because I don't think he will hold down a first team place.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's worth noting that during that season he was often carrying the team on the goal front despite he was missing the supply from our two most creative players Conway and Swanson who were out injured for the early stages of the season, as was Jon Daly. He almost set a record for us as well I think in terms of scoring so many consecutive games. Also as Aladdin pointed out, he was one of the highest contributers in terms of assists in the league that season. He had a brilliant second half to the season before that too despite the fact he had competition from the likes of Casalinuovo and Cadamarteri for his place.

It was also 19 goals, not 17 in the 2010/11 season.

The SPL stats site says 17 (SPL) Goals, I counted them and got 16 ( :1eye) so I assume it is accurate.

There's nothing to suggest that Goodwillie's lack of progress since leaving United is his fault but from the limited coverage I've seen there seems to be a suggestion of this. Therefore if he feels he has something to prove this can only be good news for us. Nothing better than a decent player with something to prove IMO.

The SPL stats site says 17 (SPL) Goals, I counted them and got 16 ( :1eye) so I assume it is accurate.

The arab archive website has him down for 19 for the whole season, it must be counting all competitions. I generally go along with Arab archive's stats as they are more than a little meticulous when it comes to all things United.

How would that look in a formation. Isn't Erskine and Armstrong left/attacking midfiled and GMS left midfield? I am glad you left out Brian Graham because I don't think he will hold down a first team place.

Gauld right (don't know about Erskine) GMS left (hopefully), Armstrong centre - probably his best position and I think his preferred.

40 goals in 136 appearances for United in total but only 84 of those were starts and only 4 penalties scored

Why are all the Dundee Utd fans getting so excited?

He'll score his fair share of goals, but won't exactly set the league alight.

Goodwillie can't get his game for a poor Blackburn side. Some people seem to forget this.

Yes, god forbid we get excited about a club cult hero and cup winning goalscoring legend returning, what are we like?

26k a week at Blackburn is the figure I was given. And that was from a very, very, bloody excellent source too.

The press release announcing Goodie's return quotes Derek Robertson as saying, "The Chairman has taken a bold financial decision..."

I'd guess United will be paying no less than 5k a week.

I`d agree that it may well be a gamble financially. I doubt we`ll get to know much of the details of the deal. £5k per week is huge for a club like United & if correct I would`ve liked to have seen the chairman do a bit better to keep hold of Flood.

As a morale booster to the fans it is a tremendous signing. Cup winning goalscorers are of a legendary status at a club such as United.

Should make for some interesting photos in the Dundee Life section of the Tully next season. ^_^

First non-football related post. I trust you are suitably ashamed Mozzarella.

ETA the Mozzarella was predictive. Honest. But I'm leaving it in. :lol:

Yes, god forbid we get excited about a club cult hero and cup winning goalscoring legend returning, what are we like?

The Big Rob character is a bit simple. It's best to ignore him.

Gauld right (don't know about Erskine) GMS left (hopefully), Armstrong centre - probably his best position and I think his preferred.

Then I would assume you would be playing a 451. Is there still a bit of business to be done, squad looks really thin.

Then I would assume you would be playing a 451. Is there still a bit of business to be done, squad looks really thin.

LB is our main concern with Douglas away.

Erskine left midfield, can anybody see GMS playing more centrally, off a main striker?

We need another CH.

Then we would just about have two players for each position, with a couple of the young players making the odd appearance. If Ryan fucks off I wouldnt mind another CM coming in - not sure Millar and Rankin together all season would get us through.

Archived