Commonwealth Games 2014

mrcat1990

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The turn out at Hampden proves majority are not interested in athletics or the minority sports. Price of tickets as an excuse is poor.

Fact is people have bought CWG tickets as a status symbol, very few are interested in the events. Doubt most could name more than a handful of the athletes/competitors.

The turn out at Hampden proves majority are not interested in athletics or the minority sports. Price of tickets as an excuse is poor.

Fact is people have bought CWG tickets as a status symbol, very few are interested in the events. Doubt most could name more than a handful of the athletes/competitors.

What's wrong with that? They may well go and enjoy the event, meaning interest in those sports increases.

If a handful of those attending the various sports through their "status symbol" end up participating in any way in the future, that can only be a good thing.

What's wrong with that? They may well go and enjoy the event, meaning interest in those sports increases.

If a handful of those attending the various sports through their "status symbol" end up participating in any way in the future, that can only be a good thing.

Relatively agree with this. I bought tickets for sports I'm already interested in (boxing and wrestling), however after my freebies yesterday at Hampden I'd quite like to go watch athletics again. Was really enjoyable. The forty quid ticket will probably put me off though in future.

Relatively agree with this. I bought tickets for sports I'm already interested in (boxing and wrestling), however after my freebies yesterday at Hampden I'd quite like to go watch athletics again. Was really enjoyable. The forty quid ticket will probably put me off though in future.

It's a no win when people come in with the attitude of "no-one is interested in minority sports" - if no-one bought tickets, people would moan, if they do, it's because it's a status symbol.

Hopefully the CG will allow people who only watch (and I deliberately use that word rather than attend) football to see that there are other sports which can be just as entertaining.

It's a no win when people come in with the attitude of "no-one is interested in minority sports" - if no-one bought tickets, people would moan, if they do, it's because it's a status symbol.

Hopefully the CG will allow people who only watch (and I deliberately use that word rather than attend) football to see that there are other sports which can be just as entertaining.

I look forward to future gymnastic, athletics, bowling and cycling events taking place in Glasgow after the games in front of the usual friends/family, Apart from novelty and the look im at a sort of big event it means nothing.

Going from twitter there are thousands outside queuing still trying to get in so looks like there is a decent turn out for this afternoon's schedule.

I look forward to future gymnastic, athletics, bowling and cycling events taking place in Glasgow after the games in front of the usual friends/family, Apart from novelty and the look im at a sort of big event it means nothing.

The Gymnastics World Cup events at the Emirates in 2012 and 2013 both took place in front of sold out crowds of 5000, and the 2015 World Championships will be in the Hydro with a potential 12000 crowd. The velodrome sold out (2500) in under an hour for the Track Cycling World Cup event it hosted. That's a shedload of friends and family.

The queues were nothing to do with the size of the crowd and everything to do with the ridiculous security that has been put in place. There is only one entrance to the perimeter of the stadium behind the East stand. Bag searches, keys etc into trays and walk through scanners, thousands of people must have missed the start of the events. If this is what they are having at every games venue it is total overkill, and I hope they get the message out to people to arrive about two hours before any event starts. Old Firm Cup Finals, Scotland v England I've just walked into the stadium but had to get searched to watch the pole vault.

The queues were nothing to do with the size of the crowd and everything to do with the ridiculous security that has been put in place. There is only one entrance to the perimeter of the stadium behind the East stand. Bag searches, keys etc into trays and walk through scanners, thousands of people must have missed the start of the events. If this is what they are having at every games venue it is total overkill, and I hope they get the message out to people to arrive about two hours before any event starts. Old Firm Cup Finals, Scotland v England I've just walked into the stadium but had to get searched to watch the pole vault.

They have stated that the gates will open two hours before hand when the Games get underway. It's just a case of whether folk take notice of that or not.

It is the same for people working in the village. We can't even take food in for lunch, we have to go to a school dining hall effort with even worse than school lunches to eat.

Hardly any athletes have moved into the village as yet. There is a few from Team New Zealand but apart from that, very little.

They have stated that the gates will open two hours before hand when the Games get underway. It's just a case of whether folk take notice of that or not.

I hope they do a better job job advertising the delays than they did today bearing in mind there looked like less than 20,000 in Hampden. There was no warning on the tickets and nothing on the British Athletics website.

The bag searches were variable to say the least, one woman in front of us had a sealed box in her bag which she said contained a Rennie Mackintosh mirror, the policewoman started to try and open the box but couldn't manage it wearing gloves so gave up half way through and put the box back in the bag. Either do it right or don't do it all. Also don't take an umbrella on a rainy day they're banned.

Archived