The East Fife Thread

My concern is that Neil Doncaster who first implemented this idea of the rUK clubs being introduced will be reluctant to admit this failure and will attempt to force through any old fudge of a solution no matter the detriment to EF in order to keep his challenge cup love child safe.

I for one would be happy for East Fife board to withdraw out of principle if the dates are moved. I cant help but feel this debacle is taking a little bit of the shine off what has unexpectedly been a good cup run for us (albeit in the cup no-one wants)

You also have to question if the tie is ultimately moved, whose interests are the SPFL working for? They are an authority of the Scottish game, organising a Scottish based cup competition, but are considering moving the tie that will cause a disadvantage to a Scottish teams progress. In the least xenophobic way possible, surely the priority has to be given to the Scottish teams best interest over guest teams. It creates good diversity in the lower leagues having the likes of Bohemians in the cup over playing the usual suspects 5-6 times a year, but where there is even a little bit of conflict/uncertainty surely they back us? 

It's a  bad scenario, but I've heard about the board and the supporters. What about a bit of consideration for the players. They're the guys who have got us to where we are. And crap like withdrawing  or it's a diddy cup quite honestly piss me off. Anyone who has played football wants to win something even the Fife Cup. So have a wee bit of respect for the players  and back their wishes

Edited by flyfifer48

2 minutes ago, flyfifer48 said:

It's a  bad scenario, but I've heard about the board and the supporters. What about a bit of consideration for the players. They're the guys who have got us to where we are. And crap like withdrawing  or it's a diddy cup quite honestly piss me off. Anyone who has played football wants to win something even the Fife Cup. So have a wee bit of respect for the players  and back their wishes

not moving the game, and standing firm on the dates gives the players the best opportunity to succeed in the cup would it not? 

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I believe (and hope!) that all parties within the club including the board, management team and the players will be involved in the decision. I can bump my gums for as long as I want, it's the clubs decision and I'm sure they'll make the right one depending on whatever nonsense the SPFL come back with.

My concern is that Neil Doncaster who first implemented this idea of the rUK clubs being introduced will be reluctant to admit this failure and will attempt to force through any old fudge of a solution no matter the detriment to EF in order to keep his challenge cup love child safe.

I for one would be happy for East Fife board to withdraw out of principle if the dates are moved. I cant help but feel this debacle is taking a little bit of the shine off what has unexpectedly been a good cup run for us (albeit in the cup no-one wants) You also have to question if the tie is ultimately moved, whose interests are the SPFL working for? They are an authority of the Scottish game, organising a Scottish based cup competition, but are considering moving the tie that will cause a disadvantage to a Scottish teams progress. In the least xenophobic way possible, surely the priority has to be given to the Scottish teams best interest over guest teams. It creates good diversity in the lower leagues having the likes of Bohemians in the cup over playing the usual suspects 5-6 times a year, but where there is even a little bit of conflict/uncertainty surely they back us?        

This has been my biggest fear since the draw was made and the reason I've been rumbling on and on about it since Bohemians said they were wanting to bring the date forward!!! 

I can completely see the scenario unfolding which sees us getting shafted by Cockwomble in order to just to keep this farce of a tournament (his love child) rolling along, with a "screw what's best or even right, move along nothing to see here" decision that is made for the benefit of Bohemians and not for us!!!

I really, really hope the Board dig their heels in and tell both parties to "do one" and play the tie on the scheduled date!!!  

Even with a £10,000 cheque every team that has had to play in England, Wales and Ireland in this tournament receives for traveling expenses, every team has still travelled AND still run at a loss. Unless the Board stay at home and only the Squad travel AND they drive to Dublin in the Team minibus with DY and Tony taking turns at the wheel AND the players sleep in tents in a field somewhere we will be no different!!!   

The first consideration should be the financial welfare of the Club and sadly not the players!!!

But then again, as much as the players want to win this thing and I have no doubts that they do, how many of our Part-Time squad are prepared to or even able to take a couple days off from their work to get to a hastily arranged midweek tie for a Diddy cup tie in a foreign country, they will have their own financial considerations to take care of as well!!!

4 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Was the Challenge Cup not the work of Eric Drysdale?

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/east-fife/east-fife-cup-tie-set-to-be-brought-forward-1-4816204

Set to be brought forward to the 3rd.

Edited to add: As expected, the nifty little £15 each way flights for the original weekend Glasgow to Dublin are now binned, and we're way into three figures. Lovely stuff.

Edited by Big Fifer

Also wonder how much Arbroath are going to lose out on pre-booked hospitality etc!!!
Another Club brought into it and inconvenienced but Doncaster won't care!!!

Also is it just a switch of dates, will we be playing Arbroath on the now free 17th, perhaps they had something arranged for that date or will it be put away for a future midweek date???

SPFL not caring how many Clubs they inconvenience shocker!!!

17 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Also is it just a switch of dates, will we be playing Arbroath on the now free 17th, perhaps they had something arranged for that date or will it be put away for a future midweek date???

SPFL not caring how many Clubs they inconvenience shocker!!!

On the 17th November EF will be playing their scheduled away game v Airdrieonians. Arbroath will have to be a midweek game.

One thing's for sure, I hope we get a statement from the club providing the background and reasoning behind the decisions made by all.

IMG_4398.jpg

On the 17th November EF will be playing their scheduled away game v Airdrieonians. Arbroath will have to be a midweek game.

Fair enough, I thought the 17th was an "International" weekend and would have been free for everybody!!!

1 hour ago, Beachbum said:

Was the Challenge Cup not the work of Eric Drysdale?

No, the challenge cup started in 1990 to celebrate the centenary of the Scottish League (sponsored by B&Q at that time, I think). Since then it's had various sponsors, but it's only the last three seasons we've had this farce of allowing Colts and non Scottish teams into it. As I said earlier, it would have been done to try to sell Celtic and Rangers colts games to TV companies. Thankfully that has, thus far, backfired spectacularly, but it's ended with this farce of inviting teams to play in it outwith their own season.